PDA

View Full Version : My New Project

Mystery-Q
06-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Well today was another boring day and it seems tonite will be the same. So I've decided to start a new project to pass the time. I decided that I'm going to setup a small LAN at home with a few spare computers that I have lying around. This idea has brought on some sub-projects. One is to make my own home made router to share my cable modem with the other computers. Another is to do a simple case mod (changing the LEDs to a different color). Now I just realized how much work the network setup itself will be. I figure on my really boring days i will post updates on these projects.

Please feel free to ask questions or give suggestions. Once again I have a lot of time on my hands and I'm really bored most of the time.

Paradox
06-03-2002, 05:02 PM
how can you have a few "spare" computers???? if i had some i'd use them all!

inori
06-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Or strip them down for parts and make one big uber-computer...

You're building your own router? Like as in a hardware router?

me2
06-03-2002, 05:22 PM
My sister built a router once... *tries not to remember*
Couldn't breath next day...

Mystery-Q
06-03-2002, 06:15 PM
I got a old ibm aptiva i got when i fixed a friends computer. they gave me both broken and said give them back one. So I fixed both and kept one for myself. I got a couple older ones that I just never threw away and some spare parts from all the systems I've worked on. I do use one of the spares for all kinds of weird crap and so my girlfriend dosn't kill mine.

I'll have another system in Nov. when I get out of school. Its not great but with an upgrade and a case mod itll look cool.

Oh ya inori, I'm making my own router out of an old ass 486. Unless I find an old pentimum board. Check out this site http://www.routerdesign.com/

The Savior
06-03-2002, 06:26 PM
I would be doing something like that, exept I have no idea where to look for info (the guide I have doesn't mention the things I want to know) and nobody's answered the questions in my thead on the subject.

http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57433 ;)

Mystery-Q
06-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Ok Here's The 1st Update.

Hardware For Router:

Packard Bell Legend

486/DX 66 MHz
4 MB On Board RAM
2 4 MB SIMM chips added
HDD & CD-ROM removed

Still need 2 NICs and a hub.
I'm gonna use Coyote Linux for the O/S

---

Cha Ching!

A few days ago I found 9 computers and a box full of different kinds of old ISA & PCI cards. Most of it was old AT 486 and pentium 1 but i found 2 brand new ATX boards with cartridge slots. I think they're either for Pentium 2 or 3 but I'm not positive. 2 of the computers were old servers. So far 90% of what I have tested still works! I just might be able to set up a a strange little network now.

My only problem is I still need either a hub a switch to put inside my router. I got all my NIC's now and plenty extras for any systems I can build from all these parts.

So far I have spent $0 on this project!

Mystery-Q
06-19-2002, 12:43 PM
Please refrain from double posting in the future. Just edit the origional.

DOUBLE POST MERGED BY ALEXMAX

AlexMax
06-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Sweet dude.

^_^

9 Comptuers? You could set up a DOOM or Duke3D LAN with that getup...