PDA

View Full Version : The latest in the battle of MP3...

Cyclone
06-01-2002, 12:44 AM
At least, that's what I call it.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020531/ap_wo_en_ge/arts_us_reinventing_record_labels_1

Cyclone

vegeta1215
06-01-2002, 12:47 AM
Yep, mp3's with be proprietary soon. Ditch'm while you can, get convert your files to Ogg Vorbis, and start downloading those instead.

For those of you that don't know, Ogg Vorbis is an Open Source sound format, very similar to mp3. The quality is the same, if not better than mp3, and the file size is smaller. And since it's Open Source, no one will be fucking with it, ever!

Cyclone
06-01-2002, 12:57 AM
I'll put it bluntly. Unless the record companies can pull some MAJOR strings, they can only survive if they adapt themselves to the advent of MP3. They shalt fail otherwise, IMO.

Cyclone

Cloral
06-01-2002, 01:07 AM
You have to think that all of this probably wouldn't've happened if the CDs were priced reasonably in the first place. Because they are so outrageously expensive, though, people were glad to be able to get the music for free. Sure, even if the CDs were less some people would've done MP3s, but not nearly as many.

My only hope out of all of this is that the record companies would learn their lesson and cut prices! $20 is far too much to spend on a piece of plastic worth 35 cents.

Mak-X
06-01-2002, 01:08 AM
Huh...? Where did it say mp3s were becoming proprietary?

Cyclone
06-01-2002, 01:37 AM
I'll go far enough to point out that game shows are now giving away MP3 players. Example: the new Press Your Luck (called Whammy); they give away a $300 (I think) MP3 player. That is how much of a household word the term MP3 has become.

Cyclone

Beldaran
06-01-2002, 02:09 AM
I have no sympathy for the industry that created boy bands. The sooner the record companies go out of business, the sooner art can flourish.

obi
06-01-2002, 05:50 AM
Dumb fools, they are trying to corner the I-net market by charging form somthing that is already free, also, you can get them for free off those sites as they allow you to listen to them, therefore you just copy it from the temp directory....

--- How do you plan to flourish Beldaran?

MrCow
06-01-2002, 08:31 AM
well i usually just borrow a cd from someone burn it then give it back to them :):)

Zeo
06-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Darn straight that's how to do it Mr. Cow...esp if you don't go selling it........

I buy cassettes and used CD's.........chaep, no copy right violations, and then I burn custom CD's............can't get pegged fo CRI if its a custom mix..................

MrCow
06-01-2002, 08:45 AM
lol thats the way you gotta do it these days

vegeta1215
06-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
Huh...? Where did it say mp3s were becoming proprietary?

It didn't say that specifically in the article, but that's what they're trying to do. Basically making it cost money to develop and use encoders and all this other garbage. It's not worth it.

Mak-X
06-01-2002, 04:30 PM
I thought they were trying to allow music distribution through pay services and encode music so it can't be copied, not charge a price for the mp3 format itself. Does some company own the mp3 format btw?

Oh do you mean like its becoming more restricted of what you can rip from CDs and this new format your talking about won't be prevented?

Daarkseid
06-01-2002, 04:35 PM
I thought they were trying to allow music distribution through pay services and encode music so it can't be copied, not charge a price for the mp3 format itself. Does some company own the mp3 format btw?

Yes they do. Its some partnership between a research lab in Germany and a media company in France, who virtually owns the copyright to the mp3 compression standard. Essentially, they charge hefty licensing fees to any company that wants to legally build mp3 encoders.

Mak-X
06-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Oh okay. Sorry, you guys are right. I remember hearing stuff before about people not wanting to use mp3s because of the cost of liscensing and a new format would be free.

How does that work though? Say I used a program to put my music for my game into the mp3 format. Has the company that made the program paid for the fees and the license to make mp3s, or would I have to pay royalties to sell my game that contains mp3s for music?

Daarkseid
06-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Oh okay. Sorry, you guys are right. I remember hearing stuff before about people not wanting to use mp3s because of the cost of liscensing and a new format would be free.

How does that work though? Say I used a program to put my music for my game into the mp3 format. Has the company that made the program paid for the fees and the license to make mp3s, or would I have to pay royalties to sell my game that contains mp3s for music?

From what I get, its up to the makers of the encoder to pay for the licensing. If you happen to make your Mp3s on an unlicensed encoder, thats the problem of the makers of the encoder and the Mp3 copyright owners, not yourself. The copyright is capitalized on by not in making people pay for commercial use of Mp3 encoded sound streams, but in making people pay to make encoders for Mp3.

Cyclone
06-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Blinks.

So this MP3 format is owned by a company in France, and the U.S. music industry is trying to shut down MP3s? Laughs. More than ever, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Cyclone

theplustwo
06-01-2002, 10:08 PM
watch what you say ... the RIAA has eyes everywhere...

MottZilla
06-02-2002, 04:26 PM
haha. Ya right. MP3 is anyone's property now. And anything else they make, reverse engineering. People have tried so many things to like "control" what happens. But they can't. :p Game developers have had very advanced protection/encryption to keep their games from being copied or pirated. And, does it last? for awhile maybe. But look at the infamous CPS2 encryption. It's been bypassed. So anyways, didn't they make like, a "new" mp3 format that had 2 different tracks and older players would only play one, and it was more compressed? I heard about that once,and I'm pretty sure it failed.MP3s were ripped away and can be used by anyone however they want now. Any "rights" to it now don't mean jack shit now. :p