PDA

View Full Version : What distributions of Linux do you use somewhat regularly?

Dark Nation
05-31-2002, 11:08 AM
What distributions of Linux do you use on a somewhat regular basis? If you don't use Linux, don't answer the poll.

Raichu86
05-31-2002, 11:41 AM
FreeBSD isn't Linux, it's UNIX. :D

Every day I use a Libranet box (Libranet is based on Debian though), over the ethernet by sitting in front of a FreeBSD box. The FreeBSD box is to slow to play any games, though.

We also have a Corel (which is also based on Debian :lmao: ) box sitting around.

*b*
05-31-2002, 12:08 PM
I don't use Linux, just crappy old win'98

Young Cloud
05-31-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by *b*
I don't use Linux, just crappy old win'98
Me too:cry:
Microsoft sucks!:cry:

vegeta1215
05-31-2002, 02:52 PM
I use Mandrake Linux 8.1. I will probably upgrade when I get a newer pc, by that time, 8.3 or 9.0 will be out. But for me, it's Mandrake all the way!

I'm using my Dad's Win2k computer right now because I haven't unpacked my Linux computer (from school), but when I set it up, I'll be using that 24/7 again, like I do at college.

Menokh
05-31-2002, 03:18 PM
I use Mandrake 8.2. I have used SuSE 7.3, Slackware 8, and Lycoris DesktopL/X. My Dad is going to use Peanut Linux.

Basically if Zelda Classic works in Slackware and Mandrake(two opposites in the Linux world), it will probably work in any other distrobution as long as the allegro library and whatever else is needed is installed.

And to clear up some confusion about FreeBSD(and OpenBSD and NetBSD too). Free/Open/NetBSD are all Unixes(but then again Linux could be too). The reason Free/Open/NetBSD are often grouped with Linux is because they can run Linux binaries without modification(some just won't work, however). And like Slackware Linux, the BSD's use .tar.something(where something is the final extension) files to install with; they either contain sorce code or a shell script or a binary that you'd run.

Thunderbird
05-31-2002, 10:38 PM
I've only used Slackware, although right now it currently isn't bootable (LILO points to the wrong location and the boot CD kernel image is too old to recognize the device with the Linux drive :tongue: ).

adventrole
06-01-2002, 10:11 PM
I use Mandrake Linux 8.2 co-exist with Windows. the only time I use windows is to go play ZC games. Everything else, I used linux. now if only ZC comes to Linux, I can happily remove Windows from my system.

BTW there should be a penguin smiley face. :blah: :mega: :naughty: :queen: :eek: :kitty:

BFeely
06-02-2002, 09:46 AM
I boot Windows XP, Windows 98, and Red Hat Linux 7.0. The 7.0 I downloaded off the internet through a dial-up connection. I tried recently to download 7.3, but after making three "coasters" (CD-R discs that got messed up when burned) I bought 7.3, with source. I keep Windows XP as my primary software development system (see the link in my sig.) I have yet to receive RedHat 7.3, but I should get it by next week.

If you make a Linux version of ZC, I will happily beta test it.

Menokh
06-02-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by BFeely

If you make a Linux version of ZC, I will happily beta test it.

I think I know of 10 people who'd happily beta test a Linux version. But until it's programmed(which looks like it will happen, or why else would this poll be here?), we can only wait. Once it is, DN and Glenn will pick beta testers.

BFeely
06-02-2002, 07:02 PM
99% of it is already there. You just don't realize it. The remaining 1% is the operating system interface. Though on my programming project, the OS interface is 25 percent of the programming. That is because a lot of code is from scratch.

teddyboy420
06-07-2002, 09:49 AM
My main o/s is win2000pro but i also use slackware and red hat occasionally for school.