PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Gaming...

Dracula
05-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Are there any games that really show your emotions? I mean, like is there a time that a game just impacts you SO hard, that you start laughing, crying, screaming, jumping, or anything like that...

In Castlevania 64, I remember Carrie's good ending made me cry. Just the fact about visiting a parent's grave always gets to me, since I know what it's like. I'd hate to admit it, but after it was done, I put my N64 away and started balling... I knoiw what your thinking *ehum* -PuSsY- *ehum*

Daarkseid
05-29-2002, 03:06 PM
When I saw the event at the end of the first disc on Final Fantasy VII, I felt both like crying and throwing up. Now whenever I hear Aerith's theme, I almost get teary eyed, and whistful.

Other than that though, I've had no serious emotional responses to games, although I do love games with melancholic atomospheres. This is probably why I loved Chrono Cross more than Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross just touched me more with its tragic dual worlds, and soundtrack.

Kairyu
05-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Spoilers, naturally, because it involves endings...

I remember a game for the NES called "Ikari Road" or something-It was very funny and I would play it a bit every once in a while for a laugh. You see, the NES didn't exactly have stellar voice-recreation abilities, and Ikari Road featured several phrases "Spoken" by some weird voice that sounded like a black guy (Not a racist comment.) who was stuffed in a closet and had a dead, stinky gerbil shoved in his mouth and was trying to talk without inhaling through either his nose or mouth... that was funny.

I cry sometimes during the ending for MM7. It's mainly the music, actually, so I don't think that counts... But I do. I'll admit, it's also because I can't imagine what it'd be like for a robot to realize that it just tried to kill a human being (Heck, one of it's own creators, for crying out loud) even though he was reprogrammed into a peace-keeper. (Of course, that'd have been a good idea, since Wily has a habit of coming back from explosions, prison, being crushed, etc., but that's still a major breach of the first rule of robotics...) I sometimes wonder if he'd have actually fired, had Gospel not interfered.

Cronic
05-29-2002, 03:49 PM
MGS2 on extreme had me very discouraged at the part where you had to repeatedly push the buttons to survive the strangle hold... I just couldn't do it until I learned that masterbation was the key ;)

Rijuhn
05-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Uh, let me think. I can now think of one. When Cyan's family is taken away on the Phantom Train in FF3, I started to get teary, because it's him family, dammit. I got all goosebumpy when I played OoT, and FFVIII for the first times.

Mak-X
05-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Turning on my N64 and watching and listening to the opening title screen of Ocarina of Time for the first time.

The entire final battle/level sequence of Ocarina of Time in Ganon's Castle all the way to the ending. Escaping the falling Castle. Ganondorf being pissed. Master Sword being flung away. "GANON"

Finishing Majora's Mask, beating the boss, and almost being sad in disblief at how easy it was to beat Majora with the Fierce Deity Mask, and I was watching the ending already.

Waking up and checking out the latest Spaceworld coverage of Zelda GCN and finding the change in graphic style.

I'm sure the first time I beat Final Fantasy 3 (SNES) and saw the ending was a magical moment too.

Skatche
05-29-2002, 04:20 PM
The first game I ever beat was Link to the Past, and the ending choked me up for the solitary reason that Link's adventure was over, everything was back to normal, etc. The master sword "sleeping forever" really got me.

I thought it was really sad when, at the end of Link's Awakening, Koholint just vanished. And Link never did get together with Marin...

The endings to Illusion of Gaia made me all wistful, and Terranigma's ending actually made me cry. That tends to happen when I beat a really emotional game within a short timespan (and therefore get really attached to the characters from playing so much).

itschris
05-29-2002, 04:49 PM
Final Fantasy VII was pretty emotional, especially the part that Daarkseid referred to. It didn't impact me as much as it should have, though, because I foolishly read about it on the internet before I got the game.

Resident Evil (GCN) has made me jump quite a few times. It's scary to play it at night with the lights off, the volume turned up, and nobody else in the room.

Fiyerstorm
05-29-2002, 05:55 PM
A very emotional scene was from Kirby64....The scene called 'Desert Desserts".....It was an emotional lift that made me see life in a whole new different perspective...breathtaking...

Dracula
05-30-2002, 08:03 PM
Another emotional time in gaming is in Resident Evil on the GCN.

I was walking through an empty hallway for the first time, not suspecting anything. So, I'm just going really slow, looking carefully for anytrhing, but the lights were bright in the room, so I would have seen a zombie lurching in a corner or something. Well, walking past the window VERY slowly, a mutated hell-hound smashes the window and rips the flesh off of my arm! So, I try to run away from it, but the next window had another hell-hound tackle me! Scared the shit out of me, not knowing what was gonna happen! So, I run back through the door, knowing they can't get through. Well, I keep running, until I reach a stair-well with a zombie that's shooting burning fluid at me! So, I run up the stairs and through another door. So I knew I was safe, since I knew zombies couldn't open doors... boy, was I wrong. I was hearing a rumbling, thinking it was the thunder, but I get back to that door, and it flies open, AND THE ZOMBIE TAKES A KFC CHICKEN SIZE CHUNK OF MY THROAT OUT!!!! I was so fucked! So, I keep running, while I'm holding my guts from falling out, trying to reach a safe place... well, I went through the WRONG door... the back door... and three hell-hounds tear me apart...

I haven't felt like that ever since I saw the catacomb boss in SOTN...

Brasel
05-31-2002, 04:55 AM
Resident Evil is that brutal?

Damn, I gotta get that game...

Final Fantasy VII made me teary, the last battle on OoT gave me goosebumps, the "Another World" theme of Chrono Cross gave me goosebumps, and of course, when Tellah died in Final Fantasy IV, I balled my eyes out...

actually I got kinda pissed cause I spent money on better equipment for old Tellah, and when he died, all his armor went with him...that bastard. He was so useless, he only had 99MP to use all the 50 MP spells with...what a dork.

zfreak2004
05-31-2002, 08:35 AM
One that I will always remember is the ending to Link's Awakening. I got kind of choked up on that one. And for some reason those stupid eels in Majora's Mask scare me to death.

Tygore
05-31-2002, 11:32 AM
You know in Majora's Mask, you play the song of healing, and Mikau dies, resulting in you getting his mask? My brother cried then. I see why it's so sad, I think Mikau was the father of that singer girl's eggs.

Daarkseid
05-31-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Sir Anthony
the "Another World" theme of Chrono Cross gave me goosebumps.

I love that theme. Alot of the music in Chrono Cross was really good, and helped to give the game that dark tragic feeling.

The music that plays when your group comes upon Leene's Bell(or whatever, might be Nadia's) in the Dead Sea, right when you're talking to Miguel is some of the best music I've ever heard in a game, if only for emotional response.