PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Ages.qst

DarkDragoonX
05-28-2002, 12:04 PM
Ah, yes, It's time for yet another quest to be subjected to my scrutiny. This time I'm reviewing Ages.qst. Let's get on with it, shall we?

Gameplay - Can you say "holy shit?" The gameplay in Ages is outstanding. Not only does it perfectly capture the feeling of a good classic quest, but it tosses in the ability to warp between past and present, a la Oracle of Ages (hence this quest's title). The warping is done very well, and not once did I feel lost or confused as to what I should be doing, yet I was never completely certain where I should be exploring next, which is the way a good classic quest should be. 8/10

Difficulty - The combat is a bit on the easy side, but I can look past that, because the difficulty of the rest of the game is done well. This quest is on par with the first quest in terms of toughness, and it has a nice, smooth learning curve. Advanced players might be looking for a bigger challenge, but this quest is perfect for people who are just testing the waters of the custom quest world. 6/10

Tiles - 100% Grade-A classic. Updated classic tiles, with a new look for the enemies and items. A new overworld and dungeon tiles, including slashable bushes and surprisingly well-done trees, keep the landscape from getting boring. 7/10

Palattes - Ahhhhh. This is something people don't usually say when referring to classic-based quests, but the graphics are purty. Lush colors that aren't too bight, and dungeons that, although still suffering from the classic quest crutch of having multiple shades of one color, still catch the eye. The enemies and Link look great. In fact, the colors of this quest are some of the best I've seen in a quest based off of classic tiles. 7/10

The Verdict - I'll admit that I was rather jaded when I first downloaded this quest. It came from a previously unheard of designer that no one had ever seen before, and as such, I expected to be getting a rookie desinger piece of garbage. For the record, I am a complete fucking moron. When I began playing the quest, I was immediately hooked. It was like crack. I moved my computer and my refidgerator into the bathroom, just so that I would never have to leave the quest until I finished it. Anyone who enjoys a good classic quest that isn't too tough should definately take a good, long look at this quest.

Final Rating - 6.5/10

DarkFlameWolf
05-28-2002, 12:09 PM
IF you think this quest is easy, then every quest is easy to you.

DarkDragoonX
05-28-2002, 12:24 PM
How is it that difficult? Every time you finish a dungeon, the item you got opens up a new area for you to explore, so you explore that area until you find all the secrets and the next dungeon, then you repeat the process.

Petoe
05-28-2002, 05:05 PM
Darkflamewolf has some kind of obsession to complain about my quest, and so far she is the only one. DFW, if you have something to complain when my next quest is out(which will be at least 10xtimes better than this first quest of mine), do it in one post then.:redface:

And it is nice to see that someone has made a preview of my quest. I hope many people will see it.:)

DarkFlameWolf
05-28-2002, 06:20 PM
complain? The quest was REALLY hard! o_O What are you talking about?! Level 9 alone! BLARG!