PDA

View Full Version : I need to know to make longer strings ?

Syndo
05-25-2002, 08:25 AM
I need longer strings for my quest how do you make them

plith
05-25-2002, 10:08 AM
You can't. Later betas, which you don't have, have a feature called string linking which allows you to make one string follow another in the same room after the player presses A, but until 1.92 comes out, you're not likely to see that feature. Instead, you can try a trick in which you use a dungeon DMap and have Link sidewarp (using insta-warp) between left and right sides to identical rooms, each with a different string. Although tricky and screen-consuming, it's the only way you have right now.

Syndo
05-25-2002, 11:17 AM
thx

Syndo
05-25-2002, 11:41 AM
can you explain fully how to use the insta warp for longer strings

*b*
05-25-2002, 05:25 PM
I'd like to know also, and please don't double post:newbie: (<- 1st time I've used that smilie!)

K-Teclis
05-26-2002, 06:59 AM
The insta warp? You acnb do it as well with ide warps!

plith
05-26-2002, 08:50 AM
K-Teclis, that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's a side warp with the type defined as insta-warp. I'll try to explain how it works...

In a dungeon DMap, Link is automatically hidden when he's on the border of the screen. So what you want to do is place Link at the side of the screen, with no walkable combos at all in the area (he can still move off the right or left side of the screen, depending on which side he's currently at). If Link is supposed to be in this cutscene/dialogue, make a new tile with him on it (you can use layers from 1.92 to make it seem like it's him on the tile by creating a combo and layering it on to the base tile), as well as for the guy. Set the string for the screen, making either a normal guy be on the screen or by making the guy be a fire and deleting the fire tile. Put Link on either side of the screen, and create a side warp for that screen which is triggered on the side of the screen Link is on, has a type of insta-warp, and leads to an almost identical screen. You can do this as many times as you like on a single DMap so long as all the screens (128 max) are on the same map. Using extra DMaps, you could have a cutscene take up all 8192 possible screens, making it a super-cutscene, or a "Zelda Movie." (one of my fantastic ideas that I plan on never carrying out; Aegis Runestone was gonna do something like it at one point. The biggest problem is that you'd have to come up with an at least halfway-decent story for it.) Be sure to alternate between left and right sides of the screen when you do the warping, just to make sure the player doesn't hold one button and skip a bunch of screens. Okay, hope you understood at least most of that. If you didn't, then I suggest taking some time to read through the entire tutorial (if you already have, do it again just to make it stick in your mind), and probably just play around in ZQuest and see what you come up with.

Demimore
05-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Guy in room 1, says something, nd guy in room 2 says the continuing string.
Bad but hell.

Syndo
06-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Plz it is not working explain clearer i really need this for my quest

plith
06-01-2002, 11:04 AM
Mmmmmm

That's pretty clear methinks. The problem is that you don't know enough about how ZQuest works. I think you should just work at figuring out how to make ZQuest do what you want it to first.

Jigglysaint
06-01-2002, 04:01 PM
Syndo, he's right, we don't double post here. "b", leave the warnings and suggestions to the mods, okay?

First of all, strings only appear on d-maps that are above level 0(overworld). Second, you must select a guy to go with the string. If you don't want a guy, or you want to use a custom tile, erase the fire tile and use the fire guy so no one shows up.

Demimore
06-05-2002, 03:46 PM
I meant a long house 2/3 screens with one door at each screen, enter them and listen.
But yes Jigglysaint that's one good thing too, I've actually done that myself once. :)