PDA

View Full Version : New Game coming.

VGWarrior
05-24-2002, 11:07 PM
If this is the wrong forum, please move it.

I have been developing a new online RPG based off Smash Bros Melee.

The website is now ready for public viewing.

To see it, click here: http://www.smbhq.com/~ssb_rpg/index.htm

Comments and complaints are welcome.

Breaker
05-24-2002, 11:30 PM
A new online RPG? Text-based, or what?

VGWarrior
05-25-2002, 09:38 AM
It is text-based; IRC based to be specific.

And yes, it's a new RPG. For that matter, I had the opening session last night since I was begged to. The website now shows what happened.

Join in when you can; just don't say you hate it if you haven't been to a session first.

Mr. 207
05-25-2002, 11:29 AM
How good could it be if its text based.

VGWarrior
05-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Tell that to the people who made Dungeons and Dragons an RPG and you will get your butt flamed, kicked, charcoaled, toasted on a sesame seed bun.............

You get the idea.

The GM, or Game Master, gives the situations as they happen; you guys get to use your imagination to control how the story goes. You have a good degree of control...but remember that anything you do could be done against you.

The Savior
05-25-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Mr. 207
How good could it be if its text based.

You are horribly mis-informed about text games, my friend. And to answer your question, it could be pretty damn good.

Dracula
05-25-2002, 07:29 PM
Text games are cool! I remember playing a text-based Castlevania, which seemed pretty cool.

VGWarrior
05-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Castlevania text games...at least you don't get to see the blood and naked Medusas (lol).

So far, six people have signed up, 3 have been on a mission. It seems to be working all right right now.

christiankhs
05-25-2002, 07:31 PM
what is text games? is like no graphics or what ?

The Savior
05-25-2002, 07:41 PM
Yes, that's exactly what text games are. :rolleyes:

Menokh
05-25-2002, 07:58 PM
I'll have to take a look at this.
Text based ames can be quite cool. I have a few old text based Interactive Adventures on my comp, and they are fun! I love toplay the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game alot.
Text based games actually can be better than graphics based games becuase more work can go into the story because there is no need to devote time to making good graphics.

christiankhs
05-25-2002, 08:16 PM
i think we need play it to understand it

VGWarrior
05-25-2002, 08:52 PM
Dont' worry; I'm currently making a tutorial on the website that will try to explain how things go.

However, it won't replace the real thing.

Dracula
05-25-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by VGWarrior
Castlevania text games...at least you don't get to see the blood and naked Medusas (lol).

Actually... HA, yeah you do! It's like, half the screen is in dialog, then th other half is the enemies in little colorful letters, numbers, or symbols. It was pretty cool seeing Dracula look like this...

---(*}
--)##\_
--## \_- ==>>(((O
-/ /| | ===>>>(((O
|_| | | ===>>>((O
----|_.

OK, so it doesn't look ENTIRELY like Dracula, but the fireballs coming from his crotch look cool!

Then here was his second form.

-----/|_/|
----( *_*) \ \
--, ,/ \,,|, ,\ \ \O
-(,,,\__/,,,)\ O
---,,/\_/\,, O

Again, he shoots those fireballs.

Then there are the other enemies.

/*\^&^/*\ Vampire Bat

-----~@ Medusa
------) }~-
---~~_)

@ Skeleton
-|--/
/\
| |

--O= Slogra
--|_,_____,,, ===<<<O
-/\
|,, \,,

_
|*|- Frankenstein
~~===*
|-|
||\\
~ ~

\\(*-*)// Ghost
--| *|
--\ \ \
-----\\

_~_~_~\(-*\, Bone Dragon
--------\|_<,, --===<<<(((O

And pretty much any other enemy you can picture like this.

OH! And the Belmont dude looked the best...

-----)*}
---/-/))\\_
----\\,|\/--:=~----------------:
-----/'/ \'\
-----|| -||
-----|_, |_,

VGWarrior
05-26-2002, 12:20 AM
...I've never seen that variation.

I'm talking mainly about ones done on IRC, where you can't to ASCII pictures like that affectively.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-26-2002, 10:59 AM
It sounds pretty cool. I will join as soon as I have time.

Toolie
05-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Realms of Despair is one of the best MUD's online... I used to play that quite a bit back in the day... I leveled to Avatar (level 50) and then I "took a break" and never came back...

It was one of the funnest games ever, though.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-26-2002, 12:23 PM
I have never really played a text based game, but they sound really cool. Who knows? Maybe I will really like it...I hope so. I have been really bored lately.

VGWarrior
05-26-2002, 12:34 PM
All I ask is that you don't say "I hate it" before you haven't even been through a session.

Man, you guys seem more mature than another forum I mentioned this idea to.