PDA

View Full Version : message strings on overworld screen

Dragonlord
05-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Hi again,

I would like to make sort of an introduction movie to my quest.
I have Link pick up the raft and then sail on the ocean until he reaches another shore. During this sailing scene I would like to have text appear on the water. This text would give a short background story to sta of the game.
I've made all the settings as they should be, but I didn't include a guy and item room (as I don't want them in these screens). When I play the game Link sails across the sea nicely, but the message strings don't appear.
What am I doing wrong, or isn't it possible at all?
Remember: The message strings are set to the overworld.
Link is using a raft path during this scene.
I hope someone can help me with this.

Dragonlord

JayeM
05-23-2002, 10:57 AM
You have to specify a guy or there will be no string. Choose one you won't be using and make that tile invisible.

Jigglysaint
05-23-2002, 07:10 PM
Strings don't show up on overworlds. Use a cave d-map to get it to work.

Dragonlord
05-24-2002, 08:09 AM
Thanks for your help, but it still doesn't work nicely.
I've created the invisible guy and then I set the Dmap to a cave, but the message still doesn't appear. Then I tried setting the Dmap to a dungeon, since it's possible to have a guy appear in an ordinary dungeon room. (My map has a cavestyle layout though.) It still didn't work. Then I created a tilewarp to screen 80 where I placed the raft. Now the text finally appeared.
I still have three other screens to go where Link is sailing the sea. He has to move from left to right continuously until he reaches the shore. I don't think sidewarping screen 80 will help me here. Do you have an idea how I could solve this??

Greetings Dragonlord

Praethus
05-24-2002, 12:56 PM
Instead of all of this, you could just create tiles with letters on them, and put directly on the screen (or a layer, if your using 1.92). Then you wouldn't have to worry about Dmaps or anything, and you could customize the color of the text, too. Neat idea with the raft.:thumbsup:

*b*
05-24-2002, 01:25 PM
I think he wants it to disappear after he gets the raft

VEL
05-24-2002, 01:29 PM
The dmap has to have a level #, not "0".

Praethus
05-24-2002, 03:02 PM
No, the text appears as he is sailing across the ocean with the raft, I believe.

DarkSFK
05-24-2002, 09:39 PM
Or you could just set the screen adjacent to it to sidewarp to the screen and make a dmap intro. (Set the story sreen as a different dmap). Try that.

DragonFang
05-25-2002, 02:42 PM
It's really simple to fix that. Just copy the flame on the first tile page and move it somewhere else then delete the first one. Now set a new map up one where Link will start at on a 1 by 1 island and a dock. After Link moves on the dock he will move along the water going form screen to screen. Set up a beach (or somthing) for Link to land on then make Link only able to move in 1 direction (untill latter in the game) so you can use the screen warp to send Link to the main Overworld map that he will be playing on for the rest of the game. After that just set the guy to fire (on the Intro screens) and there you go. With this Link will move along, reed the Intro and then move from map X to the overworld and if you have the contune here clicked on the new overworld he will start on the beach (or where ever you want) and Link will not be able to return to the Intro unless he starts a new game. Only problem with this is that you can't see the fire and it will still hurt if it's walked on.

(Forgot to add that the Intro must have the first Dmap and the World must have a diffrent World map.)

Demimore
05-27-2002, 12:50 PM
make it level 1 and you can have strings on each screen, thats the only possible way, but I believe it's not possible to use raft insiden dungeons.

DragonFang
05-28-2002, 11:12 AM
It is possable to use the raft inside dungons, becuase I curently have a place insde a dungon where the raft is needed. You set it up the same as on the overworld with the dock and the raft flags.