PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy. Look at what microshit tried to cover up...

AlexMax
05-22-2002, 11:03 PM
http://www.theregus.com/content/4/24855.html

For those who don't want to click links...

Microsoft has backed away from its bizarre claim that it is a legal requirement that preinstalled operating systems remain with a machine for the life of the machine - but only slightly. The Register drew attention to this on Tuesday, and the Microsoft site spreading this disinformation was mysteriously updated on Wednesday.

We're far too modest to claim this as anything other than coincidence, but would like to draw the Redmond web morlocks' attention to the Q&A further down the page. If you're going to soften the wording at the top, it seems to us to make sense to change the rest too, so you don't confuse people. Prior to Wednesday's disappearing the site, headed A Guide to Accepting Donated Computers for Your School, read:

"If you feel it is in the best interest of your school to accept the donated PCs, make sure that the hardware donation includes the original operating system software. Keeping the operating system with the PC is not just a great benefit - it is a legal requirement."

Now, it reads:

"If you feel it is in the best interest of your school to accept the donated PCs, make sure you know the licensing guidelines. For instance, if the hardware donation is an original equipment manufacture machine, the pre-installed operating system license is only valid when used on the original machine for which it was first installed, so it's beneficial to leave it intact."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

WHAT UTTER BULLSHIT!

Menokh
05-22-2002, 11:07 PM
MS just wants money.
I heard about this a few days ago, but didn't post it to avoid the Linux bashers we seem to have....

Anyhow, Ms changed the page because they were getting too much flack for that lie, so now they have toned it down.

Skatche
05-22-2002, 11:08 PM
I actually find that very, very funny on many different levels. I love to hear the latest news on what MS has come up with.

Beldaran
05-22-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Menokh
MS just wants money.

Which I think is cool. I have no problem with that.:)

Menokh
05-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Genrally I have no problem with a company wanting money, thats how our economy works.
BUT when a company gets greedy enough to start breaking laws and outright lie to its costumers, then I get royally pissed off; and when the aformentioned company's products are unstable and insecure it pisses me off more. MS has been doing both since about 1986(and has been found guilty of it, these recent court proceedings are to determone what to do about it).

Why do you think that 78% of all servers world wide do not run MS products? They don't want to be hacked. And 20%-ish of all desktop users don't use Windows as there primary OS, and that number is growing as more people switch to Unix based solutions, like OSX and Linux.

[off-topic]I love that gif in your sig! Where did you get it?[/off-topic]

theplustwo
05-23-2002, 12:03 AM
that is so freaking hilarious.

the way I see it, if there is any one force that can kill microsoft, it is microsoft itself.

pissing off your customers is not a good way to garner repeat business.

Beldaran
05-23-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Menokh

[off-topic]I love that gif in your sig! Where did you get it?[/off-topic]

hehe some hacker website. The webmaster had this graphic floating around and I stole because I think its bitchin'.:thumbsup:

Thanks for noticing.:)

Cyclone
05-23-2002, 01:18 AM
MS lies. Enough said. No big surprise.

But since when was usage of the original software a LEGAL REQUIREMENT? I mean, they lose one sale of a higher OS thanks to it, those stupid jackasses...

Cyclone

AlexMax
05-23-2002, 06:52 AM
They want an excuse to nix any computer that happens to have Linux on it at one time or another.

FUcktards. THey should know better than fucking with d4 g33k m4f14...