PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Hell Awaits 2nd quest

DarkDragoonX
05-22-2002, 12:09 PM
Well, since the original Hell Awaits is generally regared as the pinnacle of old-school Zelda style quests, I have taken it upon myself to write up this little review.

Gameplay- The Gameplay in Hell Awaits 2nd is magically delicious. Just as good as the origional, and even improved in some ways. An almost perfect example of Z1-style gameplay, it is marred only by a few problems with the difficulty.9/10

Difficulty- Too easy. Now the walls have cracks in them, showing you where to bomb. This takes away the search-and-exploration feel a good classic quest should have. Also, remember that key in the original HA that was behind some blocks, and you couldn't reach it? You instead had to bomb the wall and enter an unmarked room? Well, in HA 2nd, all you have to do is blow the whistle and the blocks disappear. There are other such small changes to the other dungeons as well. Also, not only is the secret shop easier to find now, it actually sells useful items, such as the Hammer and the Mirror Shield. When I reached that point, I had 500 rupees easily (too much treasure is "hidden" on the overworld and in dungeons), and bought both, making the rest of the game a cakewalk. This quest is just too easy in every way. 3/10

Tiles- The tiles themselves are pretty good for a classic-style quest. A good use of classic tiles, a few BS tiles, and some custom tiles thrown in as well. My only complaint is that a few of the custom tiles from the origional Hell Awaits seem to be MIA. 7/10

Pallates Good god, they suck. I'm sorry, that may seem harsh, but they are HORRIBLE. Many - heck, I'll go so far as to say most - of the palattes in this game are ass. They are ass-tacular. Many of the imported tiles look like the hairballs my cat routinely spews all over my carpet, and the dungeons have been proven to cause cancer in lab rats. Look Manson, next time you want to blind people, just use the conventional hot poker method, okay?
However, the item and enemy palattes are good. It's just that... fuck, I cannot get over how horrible the level and overworld pallattes are. By the time I finished this quest, I had to have surgery due to the intense damage done to my retina. You'll be hearing from my lawyer.1/10

The Verdict- This would be a perfect classic quest, if it were not for the toned-down difficulty and the... well, the god-forsaken palatte work. Look, I know messing with pallates can be tough, but would it have hurt to at least add some more colors? Not to mention how bright they are. If you want to be safe, you need to look at the monitor through a box with a pin hole in it while playing this quest. Frankly, the pallates of this quest drop my overall rating. Don't forget, I'm the guy who spends all his time playing fucking Atari 2600 games, and even I'M complaining about the graphics. Oh yeah, they're that bad. However, people searching for an easy, well-desinged classic quest who also possess wielding masks or SPF 5000 sunscreen might want to check it out. Might.

Final Rating- 3/10

C-Dawg
05-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Wow. Dark Dragoon, we need to have you review more quests- reading your review strikes me as being far more amusing than loading up HA at all. ;)

-C

P.S. : Ass-tacular... tee hee

Cyclone
05-23-2002, 02:00 AM
Hmm.

Note made. Won't download. ;)

Actually, I liked the cacti in the original...still have to look at this one.

Cyclone

Manson Seed
05-23-2002, 09:16 AM
Point taken.

Quest deleted.

DarkFlameWolf
05-23-2002, 09:24 AM
yow, I think we now have a new one-sided critic!

Raichu86
05-23-2002, 10:11 AM
The pallete looked great for a Classic quest to me. :shrug:

Manson Seed
05-26-2002, 11:55 PM
OK, after some temporary deletion I put the quest back up on my page with some changes. Although I may continue to add more 'subtle' changes here and there and re-update it.

I ask people not to refuse downloading this quest because of the words of 1 'person'.

The thing is, I do agree with some of your constructive critisism. (if you call it that). I don't understand why someone simply can't say, "I didn't like some of the colors in your quest, and I think some of the areas you should look into are this...that...whatever." It's easier to just talk shit about it, huh?

But I guess some people aren't mature enough to give advice like that...:rolleyes:

K-Teclis
05-27-2002, 08:36 AM
The 1st HA quest was too hard...
the second seems to be too easy... Get a good mix for a good difficulty!!

Mander
05-27-2002, 06:48 PM
I kinda like easier quests. And showing where to bomb is a good idea. It gets very time consuming hunting around all the time.
If a game is too frustrating and takes too much time to work out the secrets a lot of people don't bother with it.
I haven't played this one yet but I did play the first one and it was too hard.