PDA

View Full Version : Well, THIS sucks...

Cyclone
05-22-2002, 11:19 AM
I bought this great game at a discount early this week, from Electronics Boutique. I came home and installed the thing - both the original game and the Expansion Pack. After two reboots, I'm ready to run the program. I double-click the icon...the CD drive spins...and nothing happens, other than the CD drive coming to a stop. Puzzled, I try again; still, nothing happens.

Now, here's the funny thing, and I quote: "Some Kenwood CD drives experience problems starting {the program}. The drive spins and stops; {the program} fails to start." The solution: firmware updates.

However, my drive is a Sony CRX100E, and I'm having the same problem. Help?

Cyclone

Cronic
05-22-2002, 11:27 AM
what game?

Mitsukara
05-22-2002, 11:29 AM
*Reads message*
@.@

Um....

Bees like honey.

DarkDragoonX
05-22-2002, 11:30 AM
Is it a CD-R or CD-RW drive? Some programs, like the accursed Diablo 2, refuse to run if they detect an installed CD-R/CD-RW drive in your BIOS configuration. That problem happens to me all the time. My advice is to get a HP CD-ROM drive. I've never experienced problems using one of those. ANother solution is to get a no-CD crack for the game in question, bypassing the need for a CD drive altogether.

Cyclone
05-22-2002, 11:31 AM
The game in question is called Zeus. It apparently uses some sort of CD encryption technology. Either that or the expansion pack does.

I'm considering using a program I have to image the CD on my hard drive. But that could take another 650 megs of space that I don't have.

What sucks is that now Microsoft Access doesn't work for me, either. Might have to get a reformat done, soon, if I can't get it going again.

And DDX, it's a CD-RW drive. Is that the problem?

Might contact customer support about that...

Cyclone

Jemsee
05-22-2002, 11:47 AM
Sony CRX100E;
I have a Sony cd-rw and had trouble with the install, so far have not experenced the problem you have.
But customer support suxed. They kept telling me it was not there problem and my softwere was at falt.
Thing is I was using the softwere that came with the drive from Sony.
Any way I fixed the trouble myself, no thanks to customer support.
Hope you have better luck.

Maybe you can try that Magic Marker thing on the game CD that I read about in another thread. Here. (http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56660)

Cyclone
05-22-2002, 01:43 PM
I'll try to copy the CD first. See if that works. Doubt it, but I have another friend who has a copy of Zeus that works fine by itself.

More still, perhaps the image on the drive will also work, though it's less likely.

Cyclone

Hermit
05-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Call Sony again. Tell them they need to come over there and fix it or they can lick the sweat off your hairy balls next time you see them. Tell them Hermit sent you as well, that should get their asses rolling ;)

MottZilla
05-23-2002, 11:54 AM
If you have 2 different CD roms (and if you don't what's wrong with you?) you should use the other drive. I have a DVD rom and a CD-RW which never had any such probs. However sometimes they don't want to read a CD and it gets really annoying (only when loading them though).

If not, try " http://www.megagames.com " I think, and look for a CD crack or something.

obi
05-23-2002, 12:05 PM
Wait, can't you just take it to EB and say

'It's broken, fix it'
?

Saffith
05-23-2002, 03:50 PM
Some games use a form of copy protection that requires the drive to read part of the outer edges of the disc, farther out than some drives can reach. I don't know if that particular drive has that problem, though.
Have you checked Sierra's website? (I think that's Sierra. if not, then whoever...)