PDA

View Full Version : Layers

Young Cloud
05-21-2002, 09:05 PM
1) How do they work?
2) What are they?

Daarkseid
05-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Layers are sets of graphics that overlap each other. The main layer(0) is what you normally draw a screen on. A layer is another screen that is applied over that first screen. This allows for things like overhanging graphics and things your character can walk under.

The latest public beta allows for 6 layers.

Also, this is a question having to do with the ZQuest tool, so I'll move it to the appropriate forum...

Moved to the ZC Quest Editor Help forum.

Young Cloud
05-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Can you explain how to use them I'm a little confused...

JayeM
05-22-2002, 07:48 PM
Data Menu/Layers: While on the base screen, click on Layers and enter the map and screen number where you put the tiles for each layer. Layers 1 and 2 appear under Link, 3 and 4 are over Link but below flying enemies, 5 and 6 are above flyers. To prepare a screen for any layer except 0, first fill it with the walkable transparent (black) tile so that the layers below will show through.
Note: Anything in layer 0 with a push flag on it appears on top of layers 1 and 2. Link is walking on layers 1 and 2, so he can't very well push something below those layers. This allows you to push a pushblock over different combos without changing them all to the same thing (it is actually still doing this, but set up the real floor on layer 1, then the block won't be erasing it, just layer 0, which is covered up by layer 1).

Lower Dialog Box (page 7) Layers: Check the layers you want to show on the base (Layer 0) screen in ZQuest. If any layers besides 0 are used (assigned in Data/Layers), a circle will appear under that layer. By clicking on that circle, you can edit that layer from the base screen instead of having to go to the map/screen where that layer actually is. To see what layer you are editting without going to this page, press the letter B.

This is from the help file for beta 149, which you can get from my post in this topic (http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56747)

Happyman
05-26-2002, 06:11 PM
With layers, I had the idea of creating a half transparent tile (until I realized one was built in on p.21) with a room under it. However, the room under it had water, which you were supposed to be able to walk over with the overhead floor (on layer 1), but you couldn't walk over it. I had the intent of being able to visit the room under, and you would still be able to see the ice overhead (now on layer 4), but since the upper part didn't work...

It would be so awesome! Can anyone work around that problem. I rejected creating an identical water combo that is totally walkable as too dis-organized, but thats probably the only way...

JayeM
05-26-2002, 11:44 PM
You'll have to make the water under the bridge walkable.