PDA

View Full Version : Damn you Eidos!

Warlock
05-21-2002, 12:22 AM
And your shitty 3d card support in Final Fantasy VII PC!!! Bastards! I went back to play my copy, and I can barely get it working now that I have a Geforce 2 GTS.

1.) It doesn't work under Windows XP.. AT ALL. It resets my computer when I try to run it, even in Win 95 compatibility mode. Had to boot up Win 98 to run it.

2.) It's shitty 3d card support limits it to really old cards, like Voodoo 2 and stuff around that. It's supposed to support Direct3d but I guess that is basically direct3d in like 5 different 3d cards.. worthless. I could only run it software rendered.

3.) Eidos' site has an FAQ that says Geforce cards will work if I install the Riva TNT patch. So I did. And you know what? It DID work.. except that as soon as the opening movie was over all the background graphics were garbled junk!! After messing with different settings and having to watch the damn intro a billion times I actually tried to play through it to get to a save spot.. dear god that was a mess! Let's just say it's impossible to find a tiny door in a gigantic room when all you see is garbled mess.. :( I found it eventually...

4.) Nothing worked so I was forced to use Software Rendering.. guess what, it ran like a friggin' mule!! The thing was virtually unplayable! Menus took ages to come up, spell effects were horrendous.. it was just BAD. Not to mention everything looked like 256 color CRAP. The characters were all ugly..

So now I am pissed off because I want to play it even more now.. grrrrrr... of course their god damn POS Tomb Raider games work just fine on Geforce.. I don't know what they were thinking.. I guess they were thinking Glide was the wave of the future and they wanted to exclusively support it (for the most part).. dumbasses! Bah.. I remember the demo required Glide to even run :D haha.. how dumb they were..

*sigh*.. I would accept Software Rendering if it worked (god knows I used to use it when I had a Riva TNT 2 before that patch), but it is just too slow.. *sigh*..

itschris
05-21-2002, 12:29 AM
:( I'm sorry to hear that. I have FFVII for PC too. I heard about it not being compatible with XP a few months ago. I think I'll stick with ME for now...

I have this odd problem with the game. Sometimes when a cutscene is about to start, it asks me to insert the disc even though it's already in there. I have to ALT + TAB out of the game and back and take out/reinsert the disk several times to get it to work again.

Warlock
05-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Check Eidos' site on that.. I think I saw your problem mentioned as one of their FAQs.. there is prob. a patch you can get.

Anyways, I think I found a solution that will let me run it hardware rendered.. I just have to gimpify my Geforce card :D
http://www.eidosgames.com/ubb/Forum28/HTML/004754.html