PDA

View Full Version : BTTF DVD Official Features List & Release Date!

J.J. Maxx
05-19-2002, 06:14 PM
From BTTF.com:

A spokesperson for Universal Pictures International Video in London has provided us with the official list of bonus features on the upcoming international release of the Back to the Future Trilogy boxed set. While specific release dates and countries have not yet been finalized as of this writing, I'm told that the boxed set will be released internationally beginning in September of this year.

Confirming rumors we've heard elsewhere, all territories will release the set on DVD with the three discs, with most releasing the first film also as a separate DVD. The two sequels will not be released separately at this time. Each territory is free to decide whether or not to also release the films on VHS, so those chosing to do so may release each film individually on video.

The following is the official text which will appear on the back of the boxed set:

Presented by filmmaking legend Steven Spielberg, directed by Oscar winner Robert Zemeckis, and starring time-travelers Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, the phenomenally popular Back To The Future films are back for the first time ever on DVD! Digitally re-remastered and packed with additional footage and features, you'll be able to relive the adventure time and time again. OVER 10 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES!

The following are the official contents of each disc contained in the boxed set:

Disc 1

Back To The Future movie
The Original Making Of featurette - a rare BEHIND THE SCENES look.
A Look Back to the Future: a retrospective look featuring cast and crew
ALL NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY with Michael J.Fox, Director/Writer Robert Zemeckis & Producer/Writer Bob Gale.
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.
Original MAKE-UP TESTS.
HOVER BOARD TEST on location.
Did you know that? Universal's animated anecdotes: watch the movie and learn more interesting facts
PRODUCTION ARCHIVES - photographs, original storyboards & props.
Huey Lewis & The News music video POWER OF LOVE.

Disc 2

Back To The Future II movie
The Original Making Of featurette - a rare BEHIND THE SCENES look.
A look Back to the Future: a retrospective look featuring cast and crew
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.

Disc 3

Back To The Future III movie
A look Back to the Future: a retrospective look featuring cast and crew
Hilarious OUTTAKES.
DELETED SCENES.
ZZ Top music video DOUBLEBACK

There you have it — this is the official list of bonus features as provided to us straight from Universal for the international worldwide release. At press time, the official artwork wasn't finished yet, but we do expect to receive it soon along with the official press release and release dates for each region. While we do not yet have the official specs for the U.S. release, we do expect some changes to this list — particularly on the sequels, which are expected to be released individually as well as part of the boxed set.

Fans who have waited what may seem an eternity for the official specs on these discs may notice the omission of one highly sought-after feature: the infamous Eric Stoltz footage. Bob Gale tells me the reason behind the decision for non- inclusion of the material:

"Despite the fan interest, it's doubtful that any Eric Stoltz footage will be included in the BTTF DVD release. No one particularly wants to relive what was an uncomfortable situation...and we don't want to do anything that would be perceived as harmful to Stoltz."

Perhaps a temporary disappointment initially to some, we predict fans will quickly forget about the Stoltz footage once the set comes out. Buyers will be too busy devouring the other bonus features, and will be easily fulfilled with the 10 hours of material most of us have never seen before.

Also from BTTF.com:

Various Oz-based DVD and movie info- tainment sites are reporting today that Universal Home Video Australia has confirmed an August street date in Region 4 for the Back to the Future Trilogy DVDs.

The Australian-based online retailer EzyDVD raised a few eyebrows yesterday when they began taking pre-orders for the Back to the Future Trilogy 3 Disc Set for release on August 21, along with publishing preliminary artwork for the international release. I must admit, at first glance I was convinced that the artwork was the site's own concoction made collectively from artwork previously released on the 15th Anniversary VHS Boxed Set released in Australia and the Malaysian VCDs issued two years ago. Alas, this wasn't the case afterall.

Today, popular down-under consumer DVD site Michael D's Region 4 DVD Info Page reported that Universal Home Video Australia had officially announced the titles for August 21 to tie in with the Australian Father's Day holiday. Not being able to confirm this through a published press release anywhere, I dropped a line to our contacts at Universal Pictures International Video in London to get their comments on the release date and published artwork. Below was their response:

"These are preliminary designs that are issued to our trade to give them a very rough idea of direction. Unfortunately this is not official artwork."

"Furthermore, the release date has not been confirmed so I wouldn't want to mislead you with speculation."

The London office has promised me that they'll keep BTTF.com in the loop as soon as they finalize further details regarding this worldwide release. Unfortunately, I have no point of contact within the Australia offices of Universal Home Video to confirm the August 21 release date, and thus had considered the date to be only tentative (but highly probable) until Universal Australia issues a formal press release.

However, "Michael D" who does has direct studio contacts at Universal Australia has indeed confirmed the street date with them. After having spoken today with him, I have been able to verify his source for the information and it does indeed appear to be true — THE BACK TO THE FUTURE TRILOGY - SPECIAL EDITION ON DVD WILL BE OUT 21ST AUGUST 2002!! The Region 4 release features (which are pretty much set), along with official artwork and technical details will be forthcoming very soon. Michael tells me that while the Australian office hadn't received the exact run-down of bonus features for the discs yet from the home office (which may explain why London considers the date unconfirmed at the moment), they told him that BTTF.com's features list published last week "sounded pretty much spot-on".

Since our report a week ago, we've been inundated with emails & calls regarding the features for each film. Yes, we realize that the list we published had a few questionable entries, and we're trying to get answers to each of these questions through our studio sources. Yes, we noticed the obvious omission of trailers from the features list. We also noticed that there was no documentary listed for Back to the Future 3's disc (e.g. "The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy"). And we are certainly aware that hoverboards were not in the first Back to the Future, which makes the "HOVER BOARD TEST on location." listing seem like an obvious typo. We simply published what was given to us, and are awaiting clarification on these questions and more.

Goki, Mander.. buddies, pals... I may need some recon over there. ;)

slothman
05-19-2002, 07:37 PM
What happened to Eric Stoltz?

theplustwo
05-20-2002, 02:48 AM
Well, all I know is that Im super-stoaked!