PDA

View Full Version : SNES PAL Cartridges

zables
05-19-2002, 02:45 AM
WTF is a SNES PAL cartridge?? what was it intended for and how is it different from the normal carts?

Daarkseid
05-19-2002, 03:03 AM
PAL is a different video format that is in Europe and Australia(for TVs). Videogames made for those regions have to be done to conform to the PAL standard, and such, will only work with a PAL console system.

America and Japan use the NTSC standard, while Europe and Australia uses PAL. Supposedly, PAL is a flexible system that can range from being inferior to NTSC to being twice as good as NTSC, but since videogames are made in countries that use the NTSC standard, they're usually unwilling to accomodate for PAL's complete capabilities.

The Silent Assassin
05-19-2002, 03:07 AM
That's why PAL video games suck in terms of audio and visual.

slothman
05-19-2002, 04:03 AM
Do you know exactly how color, brightness, and such are stored in each?

satanman
05-19-2002, 05:36 AM
All I know is most of my SNES carts are PAL (I've got some american ones + an adapter thing).
I don't know how things are stored on the different formats, but I do know 2 differences are that PAL has a higher resolution, but a lower refresh rate (at least that's what I heard)

As for shape of the carts, the UK(PAL) ones look SOOOOO much better than the US ones.

So how exactly do PAL game differ in suckyness? to tell you'd probably need to see both a complete NTSC setup (NTSC TV, SNES, + Game) + a complete PAL setup.

My TV's shitty, anyway, It doesn't even display the whole screen (cuts about a cm off each side)

MottZilla
05-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Actually, the PAL carts are just the same shape as the SFC (japan) carts which look better than all of em. Anyways, PAL has more vertical lines, making it more squared. However NTSC isn't like that, and PAL gets screwwed cause games are generally designed in NTSC countrys. However now that this are 3D (or can use 3D to resize the output) PAL and NTSC differences are much less. Now really the only difference is refresh rate which NTSC is better for. Those extra vertical lines are not needed. So I think NTSC is better. However nowdays, PAL isn't horrible thanks to 3D related techniques.

I only have NTSC Snes carts. Most are USA, some Japan.