PDA

View Full Version : Are the endless polls about nothing important annoying?

Beldaran
05-19-2002, 02:41 AM
:mad:

Drunken Tiger
05-19-2002, 02:44 AM
I voted yup.....

Why are there so many polls anyway??

Mitsukara
05-19-2002, 03:10 AM
You should add the following options to your poll:

Pizza Hut
Other
Yo!
No, but I eat worlds so that's okay
What! Polls are l337.
YEARGHBLE!
Swords.

inori
05-19-2002, 03:28 AM
People have time on their hands ... the poll feature seems cool ... many AGNers absolutely cannot resist the call of the poll option. It's a gadget ... it screams out to them to be used ... even though they can't come up with anything meaningful to ask.

:shrug:

Go overboard making polls about nothing, and it's just spamming. Adding a poll to a spam topic doesn't redeem it.

Actually, what annoys me about polls most is biased polls. For example, suppose we held the poll: "Should Microsoft be split into two or more Baby Bills as part of the ongoing antitrust lawsuit?"

Many poll creators let their opinions leak into the polls, and the options become something like:
- YES! Microsoft is evil, Windows is evil, Bill Gates should be shot, and charging money for software should be outlawed!
- No. I'm lame and I'm not willing to stand up to the evil, anti-competitive, illegal Microsoft monopoly.

This is fine for a fun poll (such as the one in this thread :kawaii: ), where you're not trying to be serious. However, if you want anyone to have any sort of faith in the possibility that your results might have a shred of validity, your options should run more like:

- Yes.
- No.

slothman
05-19-2002, 03:59 AM
I like polls as long as they'rn't (they are not) spam, or take up like half the threads. Sometimes it can be interesting to be able to ask a question without having to need people to post.
I am going to ask a useful poll soon, but after these are gone. I am actually curious about the answer with respect to AGN.

AlexMax
05-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Because Mr. 207 is trying to push Breaker's buttons.'

He's posted like 6 of them so far...

Mr. 207
05-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
Because Mr. 207 is trying to push Breaker's buttons.'

He's posted like 6 of them so far...

How am I trying to push Breaker's buttons? I was posting polls before me and Breaker had that falling out last night. (Which btw, not to point fingers, he started.)

And believe it or not, I wasn't trying to spam with these polls. I was simply trying to generate some conversation, and I did to a degree. (Check out the drinking topic, people replied there discussing their views on alcoholic consumption.)

Beldaran
05-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by inori

This is fine for a fun poll (such as the one in this thread :kawaii: ), where you're not trying to be serious. However, if you want anyone to have any sort of faith in the possibility that your results might have a shred of validity, your options should run more like:

- Yes.
- No.

hehe, yeah I know. But I was making a statment more than anything.:)

Ibis, God of Magicks
05-20-2002, 12:42 AM
Yes They Are

obi
05-20-2002, 02:23 PM
As long as they don't become a 'per post' feature, I'm ine with them.

EIHoppe
05-20-2002, 05:23 PM
If you claim that these 'polls about nothing important' are annoying, then why did you make a poll where the choices were 'Yup' and 'Yes', which are basically the same thing? Please tell me, because maybe there IS a good reason for it.

Mr. 207
05-20-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by EIHoppe
If you claim that these 'polls about nothing important' are annoying, then why did you make a poll where the choices were 'Yup' and 'Yes', which are basically the same thing? Please tell me, because maybe there IS a good reason for it.

Good point. Who smells a hypocrite?

Beldaran
05-20-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by EIHoppe

Originally posted by Mr. 207
Good point. Who smells a hypocrite?[/B]

I don't smell hypocrisy, but I smell stupidity. If you were cognizant of how linguistics and communication works you'd understand that I was using a poll to point out the sad redundancy of your polls. It's a type of sarcastic humor.:rolleyes:

mrz84
06-12-2002, 06:22 PM
the only thing this poll is missing is my tradmark phrase. cheese. :kawaii: anyways, i don't really care. i like polls. they give people the chance to express their opinions even though some people don't give a rubber rat's ass what one person or another says. :kawaii:

Sugar
06-12-2002, 06:36 PM
I voted Yes.....:D

Brian
06-12-2002, 08:44 PM
No, they're not really annoying; just skip over polls if you're sick of them. The truth is this poll is more annoying then those because its not really a poll. ;)