PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Atari games

AlexMax
05-18-2002, 07:42 PM
OK, I'm trying to get into Atari 2600 emulation. I've heard that there are a lot of classics for it.

However, I'm looking on ROM sites, and tehre are a TON of Atari ROM's.

So my question, for those old enough to remember Atari's, or have worked with Atari emulation. What are some good Atari games? 2 player Atari games?

And if you can't tell already, this is NOT a ROM request.

Mak-X
05-18-2002, 07:50 PM
EDIT has lots of ROMs of old systems before NES.
Nintendo has asked that no ROMs of their games be put on their site, and Sega has asked for no Genesis ROMs.

EDIT BY ALEXMAX: Until I get the OK from an admin, I have to take that site down. I know that Atari is as old as dirt, but technically it's still a ROM site.

And I was asking for suggestion of games, not the actual ROM's.

mrz84
05-18-2002, 11:13 PM
pong? ok how about something where you can smooosh things? like..... oh fukku. there isnt a single atari game i can think of where you can smooosh things.....wait... isnt dug dug an atari game? if i remember right you can get monsters to follow underneath rocks and get them smoooshed. :kawaii:

4matsy
05-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Heh. I still have several dozen A2600 games lying around somewhere. Too bad the machine itself won't work. :shrug:

Originally posted by mrz84
pong? ok how about something where you can smooosh things? like..... oh fukku. there isnt a single atari game i can think of where you can smooosh things.....wait... isnt dug dug an atari game? if i remember right you can get monsters to follow underneath rocks and get them smoooshed. :kawaii:
Yeah, but the vertical movement in the 2600 version sucks...everyone moves up slowly, in increments of a whole block at a time, like some weird LCD game...:odd:

As for recommendations...

Warlords:
Neat little game for up to four players. On the real A2600, this is played using paddle controllers, but in the emulator, you can probably use your mouse instead; I dunno...
Anyway...it's like a 4-way Breakout. You have a little man sitting behind a brick wall; this is your "warlord". There's also a ball that's bouncing around the screen, knocking out any bricks it hits, and if it hits your warlord, he dies and you're out of the game. ;)
But you also have a moveable shield in front of your wall. You can use this to bounce the ball around, or (if you hold down the fire button) catch the ball and fling it at someone else. :D

Video Pinball:
Well...normally, I'd recommend this, as it is pretty fun to play, but all the emulators I've tried so far have a problem with emulating the flippers: they don't add enough force to the ball. D'oh! >_< Still, you might want to pick up the rom anyway; I'm sure that flipper emulation'll be cracked eventually. ;)

Adventure:
Just what the name implies--it's an adventure game. Though on the higher difficulty levels, you'll be running from dragons most of the time...;)

Asteroids:
Well, uh...you probably know what this is...:D
I've never played the original arcade version, so I don't know how good the A2600 conversion is when compared to the original. But I liked it, at least; I remember playing it for days on end. :)

Combat:
Actually, I think this requires two players, but I could be wrong...
It's a simple tank battle game. Whoever blasts their opponent the most times before time is up wins.
You can also use airplanes instead of tanks in some of the variations...

Frogger:
Another classic I played quite often; I really enjoyed it. :)

Pitfall and Pitfall 2:
I've heard these are pretty good, though I haven't played them much...

Space Invaders:
Heh heh. This is a rare instance of an Atari 2600 game that's even better than the arcade version, due to all the variations you can play...:D

And of course, a certain series starring yellow mouths...;)

Pac-Man:
Blows big chunks compared to the arcade version...but by itself, it's really not all that bad of a game...
(Yes, I can get away with saying this because this is the very first version of PM that I played--I didn't know how much better the original arcade game was. :laughing: )

Ms. Pac-Man:
A lot better than the first game, but is still quite different from the arcade. Most notably, the mazes have major alterations...

An "improved" Pac-Man:
Some guy named Rob Kudla has just recently hacked Ms. Pac-Man into a more faithful version of the original Pac-Man; it's pretty good, IMO. :)

Jr. Pac-Man:
This completely 0wnz j00; get it or die. :D
Seriously, though, this was probably the one game out of my whole Atari collection that I played the most. Not to mention the cartridge was a lovely chocolate brown color, as opposed to all those black ones...made it easier for me to find at a moment's notice. :)

Oh, and um...check your PMs, Alex. ;)

KingArthur
05-19-2002, 06:13 PM
Star Wars: Jedi Arena was always fun...
As is frogger and missile command.

Hell The games are so small I'd just look for the Download ALL the roms link and use it... it will give you every Atari VCS game ever made.

Hermit
05-19-2002, 11:51 PM
Star Wars : Empire Strikes Back was a fun one too. It's all the Battle of Hoth and you sit and take out Imperial Walkers the whole time ;)

Space Invaders is a definate :thumbsup:
Zaxxon
Missile Command
BURGERTIME!!! :thumbsup:

A few others I may remember when they come to me...

Warlock
05-20-2002, 03:58 AM
Burgertime is awesome.. that was on atari?

Oh, and I always liked Mario Bros., that was a great game :D