PDA

View Full Version : "the Vampire"

The Desperado
05-15-2002, 09:22 PM
this is a story i wrote for english class. Im really proud of it. Im looking for feedback so if you see anything that could use some fixing, let me know. Thanks

the Vampire
by. Jordan McLaughlin

I was wide-awake of course. Most kids are awake with excitement on this night. But I was awake from something else.
My room was mostly dark with the exception of the hall light that crept through the cracks in my door. The moon reflected just enough light off the freshly fallen snow to luminate my blue walls. The sounds of chatter from my parents downstairs were muffled, but decipherable. They were discussing the gifts that they were placing under the Christmas tree. I already knew there wasn’t a Santa Clause, so I wasn’t distressed. A side effect of having to grow up too soon. My little brother slept in his bed across the room. He was breathing deep. He had gone to bed early, fatigued with excitement. The bitter winter wind rattled the window. And the bare, skeleton-like limb of a tree left a monstrous shadow on my walls.
Wait! They’re coming up the steps. I pulled my blanket closer to my face. I was sitting up in fearful anticipation. I heard both of them saunter by. My mother, and the man I should call father, but instead refer to as Rob. I could see the shadows of their legs from the crack between my door and the floor. Two sets of feet walked by, toward their room. I sat there, waiting. Waiting for the footsteps to return. Return to my door.
Some time had passed. The hallway light had been turned off. I just sat there, waiting. My brother was no longer asleep. His deep breathing had ceased, so I assumed that he lay there much like I did, waiting. Every night was like this. Sitting in dread. He didn’t always come, but there was no pattern to his drinking, so we never really knew if he was coming or not.
The hall light turned on. I trembled in fear. My brother sat up in his bed. His eyes, glistening with pre-mature tears, looked to me for some sort of comfort. I had none to offer.
The black shadow of two menacing legs appeared from the gap under my door. They stood there. I could hear his breathing. Deep and devilishly calm. The golden doorknob started to rattle. My brother dove underneath his winter covers, hoping that somehow he wouldn’t notice his presence. The hallway light was brighter now. More light squeezed its way in as the door swung open. The rank scent of beer drifted in behind the light. The dark outline of his shady, distinct figure stood in the doorway. The shape of a beer can and of a long leather belt were noticeable in his hands. I continued to sit there, watching him. I tired to give him a menacing glance, but my fear was too strong to break. My brother started to weep. I could hear him trying to hold back his tears, but he was unsuccessful. The supple whining from under my brother’s sheets caught Rob’s attention. He slowly started to walk toward by brother bed. His feet creaked on the hardwood floor. The monstrous shadow of the tree branch seemed to move with him. Like a pair of silent vampires, stalking their prey. He loomed over my brother’s bed, his hands outstretched like claws. He leaned, closer and closer, toward my brother. One hand reached back, belt in tow. I couldn’t watch anymore. I shut my eyes and hid beneath my bedspread. No matter how hard I tried, my eyes could never seem to block out the visions of my brother’s torment. I pushed them shut with all my might, but it never seemed sufficient. The short squeaking of my brothers bed springs alerted my attentive ears to the beginning of the assault.
I lay there, clenching in expectation of the bone chilling screams my brother would soon emit. The screams. The screams. Just listening to them was cold and excruciating in itself. But they never came. The noise of the small scuffle heard just moments ago, had subdued. With reserved courage, I slowly dared myself to open my eyes. Peeking over the edge of my blanket, I saw his ominous figure. Looming still over my brother. I watched him for several minutes. Standing there, watching my brother slumber. I prayed he would just disappear, but he did not. He just stood there in a blank, empty stare with little movement or sound. I wondered if the alcohol had affected his perception. Perhaps he didn’t even know where he was. But I dared not to find out. So I just waited.
Finally, after what seemed like hours, the vampiric form of my stepfather drunkenly staggered away. Beer can in hand; he stumbled out the door, closing it behind him. I sat up, scanning the room for evidence of my brother’s condition. I saw the lump of his body, still hidden beneath the fabric of his covers. I whispered his name over to him, trying to start some sort of communication. He didn’t respond to my pleas. Quietly, I shuffled out of my bed and began to slowly creep across the cold, wooden floor. I tried to be as quiet as possible, since Robs local in the house was still unknown. I managed to make my way to my brother’s bed without alarming anyone outside of the room. I pulled back the blanket, expected to see a tearful, terrified face. Instead, the tearful, terrified face was that of my own. Upon inspection of my brother, I realized the horrifying truth behind tonight’s events. The small scuffle, the long belt. Everything fit into place. I fell to my knees before my brothers bed, crying. My brother just lay there, motionless, breathless, with a belt wrung around his neck.

Mander
05-15-2002, 09:42 PM
I was too engrossed by the story to see if there was anything that needed fixing. Very powerful almost too descriptive. I wanted to jump through the computer and stop Rob. Your story will definately make an impact on your teacher.
One thing is this just from your imagination or something else?

Edit* Just noticed a couple of things. "Everything fit into place" changed fit to fitted or fell.
"with a belt wrung around his neck" change wrung to wrapped.
"without alarming anyone outside of the room" try changing alarming to alerting.
"I whispered his name over to him," take out "over to him"

The Desperado
05-15-2002, 09:48 PM
imagination

Dracula
05-15-2002, 10:36 PM
...the ending was a LITTLE confusing, but the whole story was intense! I happened to like the suspense. So, was that Rob guy really a vampire, or did the two brothers think he was one?

Menokh
05-15-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Dracula
So, was that Rob guy really a vampire, or did the two brothers think he was one?

I'm pretty sure he used vampire as a metaphore(sp?).

Anyhow, that was very well written. The ending was surprising, and sad. One has to wonder if their mother knows about this asshole; and what she'll think when she finds out what he just did.

The Desperado
05-15-2002, 10:47 PM
I choose to use the name "the Vampire" not because he was a vampire or because the kids believed him to be. but because of the idea of what a vampire does. A vampire raises each night, stalks out his prey, then sucks the life source (blood) out of them. That is kind of what Rob is doing. He rises each night, finds his prey and sucks the life out of them. the abuse is slowy sucking the life out of them. If you ever go to a foster home and met some children who had been abused, you'll know what im talking about. they seem dead inside.

Jemsee
05-15-2002, 10:55 PM
My oh my.
Maybe I'm just an emotional kind of guy but that got to me.
What makes me shutter is stuff like this really does happen.
Powerfull work.

Ally985
05-16-2002, 06:18 AM
OK this is going to be long. I think your story is absoloutely teriffic! However, if your teacher is gonna give you a grade on this, you deserve an A++, and a few things need to be changed in order to achieve this. I've printed out your essay, in order to be able to suggest everything (that in my opinion needs to be changed) that I can to help! Here goes! These are just suggestions!

1. Begin with sentence stating that it is Xmas, otherwise, reders won't know why "most kids are awake with excitement on this night.".
2. I would change the third sentence(first paragraph) to: However, something else kept me from sleep .
3. I would change "luminate" (second sentence, second paragraph) to illuminate.
4. I would change " I already knew there wasn't a Santa Clause, so I wasn't distressed. Aside effect of having to grow up too soon." to Already knowing Santa Clause didn't exist, I wasn't distressed; a side effect of growing up too early. The side effect part isn't a complete sentence.
5.Sentence 8, paragraph #2: I would change to His breathing was deep.
6. Add ! to " They're coming up the steps."
7. I would change I heard both of them saunter by. My mother , and the man I should call father, but instead refer to as Rob." to I heard my mother and the man I should call my father, but whom I refer to as Rob, saunter by.
8. In the sentence following that, I would change "the crack between my door and the floor." to the crack at the bottom of my door.
9. I would combine " I sat there waiting. Waiting for the footsteps to return. Return to my door." to I sat in wait for the footsteps to return to my door.
10. I would change " Some time had passed. The hallway light had been turned off." to As time passed the hallway light turned off.
11. I would change " I could hear his breathing. Deep and devilishly calm." to I could hear his breathing, deep and devilishly calm. Combine to make a complete sentence.
12. I would put Rob in place of "he" in the next sentence.
13. I would change " His feet creaked on the hardwood floor." to The hardwood floor creaked beneath his heavy feet.
14. I would combine the next two sentences : The monstrous shadow of the tree branch seemed to move with him, like a pair of silent vampires stalking their prey.
15. i would leave out " attentive" in the last sentence of this paragraph.
16. I would change " The screams. The screams." to Dear God I couldn't bear to hear those horrible screams again.
17. I would change " Standing there, watching my brother slumber." to He just stood there watching my brother slumber.
18. i would change " I whispered his name over to him, to I whispered his name,
19. Local is spelled locale.

You are an excellent writer! Again, please don't take any offense to my suggestions, as they are merely suggestions. I am simply trying to help you. Sincerely, Ally