PDA

View Full Version : Zquest Wrangler Challange

C-Dawg
05-14-2002, 09:36 AM
I was inspired by the ML vs Desc off-topic discussion to challange you ZeldaClassic designers : what's the highest number of tile warps to different locations you can put on one screen, and that will warp to another screen using (at most) a longer-than normal blackout?

Seems to me that the max is four; three would be pit warps to a three-way warp as normal, and the last would be a stair warp to the side of the three-way room with a convayer and barriers to force the player into the side warp.

Possibly you could include more by "daisy-chaining" three-way warps... anyone got some ideas?

-C

*b*
05-14-2002, 02:58 PM
it depends, how many pits you use, you can have as many as the screen allows, and then a side warp. that's about it

C-Dawg
05-14-2002, 03:10 PM
Ok b, that didnt really answer any question or describe any technique. Please phrase all answers in the form of some statement that a third party doesn't have to "figure out". :(
-C

*b*
05-14-2002, 03:59 PM
sorry, guess I didn't read your q right:shrug:

Immortal Warrior
05-15-2002, 04:03 AM
Well... I'd say that 7 is a possibility. You'd have to use the 3 stair warp thing, then one conveyer pushing you off to a side warp as you said, then conveyers pushing you off the screen, with no sidewarps, and then conveyers pushing you back but with sidewarps.... So basically it pushes you off the screen, then back taking you to the designated screen. The pause isn't actually that long, I've done it before to test it out.

PrinceMSC
05-15-2002, 05:20 AM
You can have 176 warps on one screen. That's not counting side warps. How it works is simple. All the tiles are pit combos. When you warp to the next screen you will either land on a temporary combo which will make the rest a the floor normal so you don't keep falling. Or you will land on another pit combo that doesn't take you right to a floor, then you keep falling until you do. This is a great effect. I figured out how to do this puzzle not long after we got the pit combos. This puzzle will indeed be in ML. The puzzle can be made very hard depending on the number of floors and pits you use for each floor. Or if you make it a never ending pit which will bring the player back up to the top. Making the player think they are really far down. The only thing that would give it way would be if you labeled what floor it was. But I guess if it was a never ending pit there would only be one floor.:nerd:

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

obi
05-15-2002, 05:31 AM
I was gonna say that! honest!, I'm actually gonna use that in my quest,

I've been replaying the poracle games to get new ideas...

C-Dawg
05-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by PrinceMSC
You can have 176 warps on one screen. That's not counting side warps. How it works is simple. All the tiles are pit combos. When you warp to the next screen you will either land on a temporary combo which will make the rest a the floor normal so you don't keep falling. Or you will land on another pit combo that doesn't take you right to a floor, then you keep falling until you do. This is a great effect. I figured out how to do this puzzle not long after we got the pit combos. This puzzle will indeed be in ML. The puzzle can be made very hard depending on the number of floors and pits you use for each floor. Or if you make it a never ending pit which will bring the player back up to the top. Making the player think they are really far down. The only thing that would give it way would be if you labeled what floor it was. But I guess if it was a never ending pit there would only be one floor.:nerd:

:king: PrinceMSC:king:

Thats good, but thats not what I'm asking. I'm wondering, given a particular screen, how many different warps you can have to different screens from that one. Cycling through a bunch of screens using Pit combos works for traps just fine (I beat you to it, this sort of thing is used many times in DoY ;) ) but it doesn't allow you to, say, have a village with four doors on one screen all going to different locations; since to get to the last screen in the chain you'd have to go through every other screen in the chain.

Now that I think about it, a variation on this might accomplish the right effect, though. Say we've got a chain of pit combos four screens long, but the pits only occur in the doorways of buildings. Say the doors are four tiles square large, so the player can walk around in them. Say that all screens in the chain are linked back to the town by using a second duplicate screen of the area immediatly around it (hence, no sidewarp). Then you could have, at each screen in the chain, one and only one door that is a STAIR combo instead of a pit combo. That door would put Link on an unaccesable side of the screen, where a convayer would push him off and warp him using a Ent/Exit to the appropriate house. If you have doors that are four tiles large, a side effect would be that link needs to walk further into some doors to actually get into the house than others- this shouldnt be too bad. The other side effect would be that once Link had gone through a stair warp, there would be a moment before the house was actually entered that he was not visible on the outdoor screen- again, pluasable in that he is goiung into a house.

What I was asking before was more along these lines, though. Say we have six enterences on a screen, and we use the three-pit warp deal. On the three-way-warp screen, say three of the doors dump Link on a Pit, and three dump him on a Stair. Say that all exits to the three way point to different all-black screens on a different map. On each of these screens, the pit warp just dumps Link on a stair warp, and the stair warp pushes him off the side of the screen. In this way you could specifiy twice as many locations for Link to go to, with slightly more delay. In theory, there should be no limit to how many times you could do this if some of the second screen warps went to ANOTHER 3-way warp screen...

Thoughts?

-C