PDA

View Full Version : Is Hell exothermic or endothermic?

Smokin' D. Grass
05-13-2002, 10:44 AM
First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, than a mole of souls can also have mass. So, at what rate are souls entering Hell, and what percentage of souls are leaving Hell? I think we can safely assume that once a soul goes to Hell it does not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for souls entering Hell, lets look at the different religions in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions, and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls to increase exponentially. Now, let us look at the rate of change in volume in Hell. Boyle's law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.

1) So, if Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls are entering, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
2) Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Stacy Smith during Freshman year,"It will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you.", and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then 2 cannot be true, and Hell is exothermic.:smoking:

Hermit
05-13-2002, 10:56 AM
I think you've spent way to much time contemplating the possible temperture ratios of a place that may or may not exist. And since no one can give you a definate answer as to its existance or not... why bother trying to figure it out ? :blah:

Toolie
05-13-2002, 11:25 AM
That was copied from a website. I have read that many times before many years ago... I'm not sure where it came from ( I think maybe linked to or from SDMB )

Hermit
05-13-2002, 11:27 AM
That figures :rolleyes:

Jigglysaint
05-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Hell exists. All people who have not lived worthily go there. Those who do go to paridise to await the Resurection. Those in Hell, or spirit prison are taught the gospel of Jesus Christ and after accepting it, they can leave hell-except for baptism. Since you can't baptise a bodyless soul, someone with a body has to act as a proxy so that person can be baptised.

The only people who will stay in hell for eternity are those who have denyed the Holy Ghost, after having a full knowlege of God. They still recieve a body, but are cast into Outer Darkness with the devil forever. Most people won't get that far. Murder, or the shedding of blood that God has not santified, is also unforgivable and that person will lose their shot at Exultation.

That's my take on the hell thing. Anyway, there will be enough space to cover the needs of everybody, after all, there is more to life than just this planet.

Smokin' D. Grass
05-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Actually, I found it in a book of urban legends and thought it was funny. Obviously, I was wrong. I am sorry if I offended anyone, but I was just trying to tell a joke.

DarkPanther
05-13-2002, 12:12 PM
lol!

I thought it was cute. ;)

Starkist
05-13-2002, 03:05 PM
I thought it was funny...

Maybe people didn't get it.

Elemental Knight
05-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Jiggly: The essay assumes that Hell exists. The question is if it keeps the heat in, or bleeds it out (essentially. I haven't taken physics yet). Do an "ask Jeeves" search for "Hell", and in one of the possible results, that essay should pop up.

Jigglysaint
05-13-2002, 03:51 PM
oh, doh!

Some people have too much time on their hands.

Elemental Knight
05-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
Some people have too much time on their hands.

The original essay was the final for a college physics class, not some voluntary work. As I recall, the guy who wrote this essay is the only one in the class who got an "A".