PDA

View Full Version : Civilization III

Seigeless
05-12-2002, 09:16 AM
I just got this game 3 days ago, and is pretty much hooked to it :) I think its a great improvement from the previous version, especially with the graphics, music, user-friendliness, and the new battle system. Do you think Civ III was a great improvement from Civ II? Is it worthwhile to buy it?

Daarkseid
05-12-2002, 12:43 PM
I think it is. I wish I could play the game, but my monitor apparently needs some kind of "profile(adapters installed)" to play Civ III properly, and I don't have a god damn clue where I'd get ahold of drivers for what I thought was supposed to be a normal plug and play monitor.

The game is awesome. I love all the new features added over the previous Civ II. The only things I'm not so keen on is the stuff they took out of Civ III to make playing the game less abusive(like building a hoard of caravans to sit outside cities that would build another wonder).

I just wish I could fucking play it!!!! :mad: <---(uncharacteristic use of a smiley)

slothman
05-12-2002, 12:49 PM
I'm hooked on it also. All 3 in the series have wasted valuable time. I do like the new editor and culture added into it from civ2 but I don't like how they took out terraforming.

Daarkseid
05-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by slothman
I'm hooked on it also. All 3 in the series have wasted valuable time. I do like the new editor and culture added into it from civ2 but I don't like how they took out terraforming.

Oh yes, the ever valuable Terraforming... I'd have a massive army of engineers, terraforming my Empire's lands into grasslands for food and hills for industry... now in Civ III you have to live with cities built on unproductive land or being stuck in the middle of unproductive land...

Ultra22Lemming
05-12-2002, 01:39 PM
I haven't got Civ III but I do want it. I remeber we used to jave Civ II but ... can't remeber what happened to it. I also Have Civ I on Super Nintendo and I think it is an awsome game!

E-FORCE
05-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Its great and I can't wait for the expansion pack to come out later this year. Th expack will come with the multiplayer options along with other fixes and several brand new civs. Daarkseid, you may have to upgrade your video card by obtaining newer versions from the company site that made it.

Daarkseid
05-12-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by E-FORCE
Its great and I can't wait for the expansion pack to come out later this year. Th expack will come with the multiplayer options along with other fixes and several brand new civs. Daarkseid, you may have to upgrade your video card by obtaining newer versions from the company site that made it.

Its not the video card, its the monitor. Somehow XP can't determine the maximum display settings of my monitor and so it allows displays settings to be set based on my video card, which can do much higher than 1024x768(my monitors maximum). Somehow, when I try running Civ III, it attempts to use a setting of some kind that my monitor can't use, so the game runs fine, my monitor just won't display graphics.

I've somehow temporarily solved the problem though... I switched my monitor for another monitor (thats somehow lost its sharpness so its little good to use) and XP can determine its maximum display settings. Then while XP was still booted, I switched monitors back, and now Civ III will display on my monitor.

Starkist
05-13-2002, 02:17 AM
I like how you can build cities on hills. In the previous two games, it wasn't good to do because you'd lose resources. In 3, you get the same resources for the city square no matter where you build, and hills give you a massive defense bonus.

slothman
05-13-2002, 02:39 AM
I think you should be able to build cities on mounties. Machu Piccu(sp) was on a mountain.

satanman
05-13-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm waiting for an expansion pack or something to make it like Civ 2: test of time.
ToT has sci-fi(hi-tech alien theme), fantasy (norse/other mythologies theme), and extended original (same as normal, but with 2 worlds) but no map editor.
It kicked ass.

Seigeless
05-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by slothman
I think you should be able to build cities on mounties. Machu Piccu(sp) was on a mountain.
I think you ARE able to build cities anywhere, but building it on grass plains near the ocean is MUCH better than building it on an inland mountain. However, I do agree that the system for a city's "success" shouldn't be so dependent on its location.

Daarkseid
05-13-2002, 08:10 PM
I have a question... what difficulty and map settings do play the game with? How many other civs do you play against?

I play it on Regent with a randomized map and climate and 6 other Civs. I get raped because my Civ is caught between two hostile civs or is cut off from water/resources while having to contend with an enemy civ that expands faster and has resources.

slothman
05-13-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by seigeless

I think you ARE able to build cities anywhere, but building it on grass plains near the ocean is MUCH better than building it on an inland mountain. However, I do agree that the system for a city's "success" shouldn't be so dependent on its location.

The manual says you can't build on a mountain, but I haven't actually tried it yet.

Originally posted by Daarkseid
I have a question... what difficulty and map settings do play the game with? How many other civs do you play against?

I'm going to start playing king(monarch) since prince(regent) seemed to easy. I use the least water and pangea landmass. I usually use the middle climate settings also. I might change it when I can win at diety.

DarkDragoonX
05-14-2002, 12:13 PM
I play at the monarch difficuly as the Persians (scientific, industrious) with a randomized terrain and climate, and 5 opposing civs. About 10-20% of the time I get squashed early on, but if I can hold out for about 15 turns, I become a scientific god. In my most recent game, I was already building tanks by the time other civs were rushing around trying to find saltpeter.

Seigeless
05-15-2002, 11:41 PM
I also like to play as the Persians... although I find it really hard to survive above the Warlord level. If anyone have some tips about this game, feel free to share it :)