PDA

View Full Version : no left handed link

Masamune
05-11-2002, 09:30 PM
has anyone noticed that in all the zelda games except the N64 ones have a right handed link when facing right? i think it's because they only made sprites of link facing left and just flipped them for right. do you think nintendo realized this?

Fiyerstorm
05-11-2002, 09:37 PM
I haven't notice.....hmm...

:looks for screenies of all zelda games:

Mak-X
05-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Yeah, its because they flipped the sprites. In Zelda 3 however, Link will hold his sword in the left hand in some directions when you hold out the sword with B. Of course Nintendo knows this. Link is left handed in all the artwork though unless its flipped. I remember hearing from TSA that Link is left handed because Miyamoto is left handed.

Masamune
05-11-2002, 09:47 PM
i have the amazing gift of ambidexterity!!! bow down to my ambilicious power!

Fiyerstorm
05-11-2002, 10:04 PM
Bow down to my semi-ambidexterity!

Saffith
05-11-2002, 10:12 PM
Bow down to Link's ability to know which hand to hold his sword in based on the direction he's facing on a screen whose existence he is unaware of!

Or... Something like that... :confused:

Elemental Knight
05-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Bow down to my amazing "not caring about bowing down to anyone" related apathy.

Anyhow, I always thought somethign was funny with LttP... Hmm. But you can't tell with LoZ, because he sticks it out at a right angle to how he should use it.

The Silent Assassin
05-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Miyamoto is Left Handed, and that is the official reason Link is a lefty. The Nintendo explanation for the "right handed Link" is that Link's personal beliefs lead him to always have his shield facing Death Mountain...yet he doesn't do this when he faces away from it...

AlexMax
05-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
Miyamoto is Left Handed, and that is the official reason Link is a lefty. The Nintendo explanation for the "right handed Link" is that Link's personal beliefs lead him to always have his shield facing Death Mountain...yet he doesn't do this when he faces away from it...

Dude...why in the hell would Link put his shield BEHIND him. I know kid link does this with the Hylian shield, but that's beside the point...

Words of Wisdom should not have a say over parcticality. The Assasins Guild's (Destiny's Balance - TM! fic) downfall was bacause they would rather abide by some stupid code. (If the assasin whom the 'contract' was handed to was killed, the contract was voided.)

But I'm getting off topic.... -=^_^=-

The Silent Assassin
05-12-2002, 04:09 AM
As I said...I pointed that out as well...

King Link
05-12-2002, 01:11 PM
They just didn't want to create the extra few sprites to make the game fully accurate. And anyway, the game only showed one side of Link at any time, so it wouldn't really be a big deal.

vegeta1215
05-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by King Link
They just didn't want to create the extra few sprites to make the game fully accurate. And anyway, the game only showed one side of Link at any time, so it wouldn't really be a big deal.

Nah, I liked the excuse they came up with, the one TSA mentioned.

In the cartoon Link is mostly right handed: his sword holder is on his left, and he pulls it out and fights with his right hand, but sometimes he switches back and forth. I bet he could switch hit too!

The Silent Assassin
05-12-2002, 07:47 PM
What I said is what Nintendo said...but it's probably BS...since they realized they made a mistake...

Mak-X
05-12-2002, 09:19 PM
Yeah, it is BS. Its just some fact they created for the Zelda 3 guide. Most sprite based games flipped graphics. All the artwork has Link as left handed, and besides the left and right flipping in Zelda 3, up and down are correct, letting you block with the sheild from the side.

vegeta1215
05-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Still, it was a very good excuse, and it makes sense, at least to me :)

satanman
05-13-2002, 11:41 AM
Link is always left handed...
Except when he's not. :)

Bow down to my Left handedness!
Or don't...

Dracula
05-13-2002, 10:19 PM
Ok, as for Zelda 1 and 3, they said "In respect for ancient Hylia, warriors always had their sheild facing Death Mountain" now, it would be pretty hard to keep switching your sword and sheild every time you turn around...

The Silent Assassin
05-13-2002, 10:23 PM
I think we pointed that out above...

Dracula
05-13-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
I think we pointed that out above...

...WOOPS!!! Alex beat me to it... I hate it when that happens... Well, I'm not the Zelda expert like you, TSA... though, we are equal... you for Zelda, me for Castlevania!