PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Phantasia GCN!

DarkDragoonX
05-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted at IGN:
Other Namco GameCube projects announced include the New Mr. Driller, which Japanese magazines first unveiled several weeks ago -- a November 2002 release. A 3D racing game which is the next in the Ridge Racer series -- March 2003 release, a new Tales of Phantasia RPG -- July 2003 release, another new, unnamed RPG -- December 2003 release, and of course Soul Calibur 2 -- January 2003 release.

Tales of Phantasia on the GCN... Mmmmmmmm...

vegeta1215
05-10-2002, 12:40 PM
i'm still playing ToP with my translated ROM, but until I get hardware acceleration with my card, I can't play any games :(

But GCN version? Sweet! :D

Mak-X
05-10-2002, 02:31 PM
They're also bringing the original Super Famicom Tales of Phantasia to Game Boy Advance.

vegeta1215
05-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X
They're also bringing the original Super Famicom Tales of Phantasia to Game Boy Advance.

You sure? Why am I playing the ROM then?!? :D

Mak-X
05-10-2002, 03:06 PM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2864539,00.html

Namco also has a healthy lineup of Game Boy Advance software in development. It will release Family Tennis Advance, Famista Advance (a baseball game), Mr. Driller Ace, Klonoa of the Wind G2 (based on the Klonoa platformers), an RPG called Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2, an original Klonoa action RPG, a puzzle game, and a port of the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia. All of these titles will be available for Nintendo's handheld by the end of this year in Japan.

In Japan at least.

Daarkseid
05-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by DarkDragoonX

Tales of Phantasia on the GCN... Mmmmmmmm...

What do you care, DDX? Its going to just be "another crappy 3D game".

AlexMax
05-10-2002, 03:34 PM
lol

This is going to RULE!

Dark Jim
05-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Awesome! :D Maybe I'll end up buying a Gamecube anyway.

DarkDragoonX
05-10-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid

What do you care, DDX? Its going to just be "another crappy 3D game".

Dude, it's NAMCO. Namco. The guys who made Pac-Man. I have faith in Namco.

zfreak2004
05-11-2002, 08:23 AM
YESSSS!!!!!! This is going to rule. Tales of Phantasia... times two. The GBA version is what I'm interested in because its already been proven.

LinkSlash
05-11-2002, 08:26 AM
I'm too young so I have no clue what this game is. Someone please inform me.

Rijuhn
05-11-2002, 11:33 PM
I've never played the originals but it looks very promising, and DDX is right about the Namco things. Pac-Man rocks.

vegeta1215
05-12-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by LinkSlash
I'm too young so I have no clue what this game is. Someone please inform me.

I don't know much about it myself, but I do know that Tales of Phantasia was an RPG released for the Super Famicon that had been praised for it's story, unique battles system and graphics. Basically, the US got screwed over, and it was never officially released here. But, an online group made a translation patch for the ROM so we could play it here.

Now, alot of people are excited about it's possible official release :D Myself included

Cloral
05-12-2002, 01:29 AM
In most respects it was like a traditional style RPG, except for the battle system. The battles were not turn based, they were side view, and you in general did not select what to do from a menu. You only had direct control over Cless, the leader of the party and the only real melee fighter. The other 4 characters either were magicians or distance fighters, and you could give them general instructions such as "Use lots of magic" and then they would act on their own. To fight, you would press A and Cless would run over and slash the enemy. You could also get special attacks for him. Walking back and forth would cause the other characters to loosely follow you, so you would want to be careful to keep them out of harms way (since their close fighting more or less sucked). If you knew what you were doing, you could beat the enemy without allowing them the opportunity to strike back, since attacks didn't automatically hit you (ie if you were fighting an enemy that attacked with an axe, and it swung the axe but you weren't currently standing next to it it wouldn't hit you).

Seigeless
05-12-2002, 09:32 AM
TOP is my second-favorite RPG game on the SNES, behind FF6. I think the game in all aspects is great, especially the battle scene and the graphics.