PDA

View Full Version : UT for Linux

Masamune
05-08-2002, 06:18 PM
i just downloaded Unreal Tounrament for Linux. it's in a .run file and i don't know what to do with it. what do i do with it? i wreak of linux newbieness!

Raichu86
05-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Never heard of .run. What distro of Linux are you using? I'm suspecting .run is some kind of package, and you'll probably have to install the game from it.

Masamune
05-08-2002, 06:38 PM
i'm using mandrake 8.2 and it doesn't recognize the file. when i click on it nothing happens and it doesn't even attempt to open it.

Menokh
05-08-2002, 06:57 PM
I've never heard of .run files.
It seems like some sort of un-common package.
I've heard of .rpm, .sh, .deb, .tgz, .tar.gz, .pkg, .ipk, tar.Z, and other .tar.* files; thats all.
Try looking around the site some more, it may tell you what to do with it.

Masamune
05-08-2002, 07:25 PM
i found a readme for it and i don't understand it one bit. i know i have to put the disc in and have it mounted but......
Before starting the installation process with "sh ut-install-436.run"
you must have your Unreal Tournament CDROM in your CDROM drive and have
it mounted. For example: $mount /cdrom
$sh ut-install-436.run If you want to install Unreal Tournament remotely you can use the
SETUP_CDROM environment variable to point to your CDROM drive. For example: $export SETUP_CDROM=/path/to/cdrom
$sh ut-install-436.run To make use of the S3TC compression feature, install 436 and then
manually copy over the files from your Textures directory from your
2nd UT CD to the Textures directory in your INSTALL_DIR/Textures
directory overwriting existing files (except credits.utx).

can someone make sense of this for me?

Menokh
05-08-2002, 07:33 PM
Alright I get it.
you will need to either buy the windows verison of UT or download an ISO of it, then burn said ISO.
You need to have the UT CD in your CD drive, mandrake will auto-mount it for you. Then you need to use the console(command line). cd to the directory you have the .run file in. Then type "sh ut-install-436.run" without the quotes. that should install it for you.

In other words this is not UT itself, but a program that lets the Windows version run in Linux.

Masamune
05-08-2002, 07:41 PM
thanks menokh! i really got to get this newbie stench off me!

Menokh
05-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Masamune
thanks menokh! i really got to get this newbie stench off me!

No problem. I was a newbie at one time too. And I'm still learning.
Linux is easy enough to use, but to do some of the more advanced stuff you need to learn. There are plenty of sites hat can help out with stuff like this. In fact there are links to some of them at www.mandrake.com

Masamune
05-08-2002, 07:51 PM
i think i messed up somewhere along the lines. i'm supposed click on CD1 or CD 2. that's where 'm messing up i think.

vegeta1215
05-08-2002, 11:43 PM
If that doesn't work, you can always buy the Linux version for $20: http://www.tuxgames.com/

btw, how is Mandrake 8.2 going for you so far?

Masamune
05-09-2002, 07:05 PM
i already have UT for windows. i just thought it would be cool to play to get a 20$ game for free legally. 8.2 is going great. it's a lot easier windows! i don't really have as good of a variety of browsers as i did with windows.

vegeta1215
05-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Cool, glad to hear that 8.2 is going good for you.