PDA

View Full Version : Mp3 demo - looking for feedback

Hermit
05-08-2002, 09:50 AM
I know this should go in MM, but frankly no ones really goes in there so I'm going to put it here because I'm looking for a nice sum of feedback and opinions larger than what I'd probably get from MM.

The game - Links Awakening GB - Marin's Theme ;)

I'm making this because I don't really think this tune has any real theme to it that I've heard of anyway. No real song to call it's own other than a few snippets here and there in the game, and in a Zelda medley or two.

The game is based on an island so I thought some beachfront sounding music might be in order. So give a listen and tell me what you think :thumbsup:

Note: There is only about 1 minute of this, and it's just the beginning. The end of the LA theme isn't even in there yet. So base your opinions on the fact that this is just the beginning of the song please :)

(Right Click, Save Target As...)
Hermit - Marin's Theme Mp3 (http://www.geocities.com/ZeldaClassicArchive/Mp3s/HermitMarinsTheme.mp3)

Also I might as well go ahead and make my contest mp3s publicly available as well, so if you want to say anything about that too feel free. This first one is for all you RPG music fans out there ;)

My Contest Submissions:
Hermit - Dreamstate Mp3 (http://www.geocities.com/ZeldaClassicArchive/Mp3s/HermitDreamstate.mp3)
Hermit - Jive Mix Mp3 (http://www.geocities.com/ZeldaClassicArchive/Mp3s/HermitJivemix.mp3)

Mak-X
05-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Marin's theme is really good! It starts out slow but then picks up with the instruments. I just needs to be finished with the rest of the Ballad of the Windfish theme from the ending. It stops before it really gets going with the tune.

theplustwo
05-08-2002, 08:05 PM
man, thats really good

The windfish song from the end of LA was always, in my mind, one of the most sad and yet best video game songs, ever.

Just listeng to that almost brought a tear to my eye, seriously. I get really sad when I think of little marin dissapearing. I love the little extra in the DX version when you beat without dying, and link sees a seagul and link thinks of marin 'singing for people in some far away land' *snf... snf* but seriously, I can't wait for more!

Hermit
05-08-2002, 08:12 PM
I found a better "Seashore" sample for it, one that actually sounds like the sea hitting the beach ;)

By the way... if anyone else downloads them... it's a geocities account so it my go down to bandwidth limits occassionally. An easy way to know is if the images in my sig don't load for you, then the site is down. Check back in a few minutes and it should be back up :)

And thanks for the feedback, it is mucho appreciated :thumbsup:

Dechipher
05-08-2002, 08:21 PM
post it in MM anyway!!! That's waht it's there for!! BSIDES, most of the people that can really appreciate your midi/mp3s are in MM

Hermit
05-09-2002, 04:17 AM
That's true they are... ok I'll post in MM also then ;)

GuitarmanTim
05-09-2002, 06:17 AM
hey sounds good :) I might give something like this a try also, we just got a new keyboard with floppy drive so I can now make midi files that actually sound good :)

Hermit
05-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Ok boys and girls... there's a new version up for grabs :)
Time: approx. 3 minutes

Hermit - Marin's Theme Mp3 (http://www.geocities.com/ZeldaClassicArchive/Mp3s/HermitMarinsTheme.mp3)

What's New:
Major overhaul and revamp of the "Seashore" sound FX
Obviously the song is extended
Not sure if I am going to keep the electric piano and snyth. sweep pad in middle section, might go with grand piano instead
Yes I know there are chunks of background strings missing, not sure whether I like it the way it is or will include more
Still a rough draft kinda, basically all it needs is a couple touch ups and an ending though ;)

Thank you to all who replied with feedback, it is much appreciated :)
Enjoy :thumbsup:

EDIT: By the way, if there is any way someone could get me a copy of that song at the end of the game, that frehmobile is referring to, I would much appreciate that as well. I'm surprised I've gotten as far as I have with nothing to go on but memory. Damn I'm good! :mischief:

Jemsee
05-09-2002, 10:16 AM
I am awestruck by the talent I find at the AGN boards.
This music is vary nice Hermit, I'v booked your page and hope to snag a few more tunes when I have time.
Between the Art of music and grafx here I find my life somewhat more enriched.
Thanks for shareing.
;)

Hermit
05-09-2002, 10:37 AM
I can promise many many more to come Jemsee, and thank you so much for your kind words :)

Looks like I might need to change servers perhaps. This geocities account gets eaten up real fast. I'll solve that in the coming days ;)

Mak-X
05-09-2002, 11:52 AM
That was good. Its a nice melody of Marin's theme that is calm and gentle.

Mak-X
05-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Hermit, did you ever think about submitting Marin's theme to http://remix.overclocked.org ? Its really good and no one has done it.

Hermit
05-21-2002, 12:54 AM
Nope I haven't :shrug:

I haven't touched it since I put up this thread and that demo thingy. I'll finish it in a day or two ;)