PDA

View Full Version : Why do people bother registering...

Hermit
05-08-2002, 06:56 AM
I just looked through the member database to find the there are about 5 total pages of people with post counts of zero, most of which aren't that recent in registration (about 130 or so members). Why sign up if you aren't going to post ? I mean... you can browse the boards all you want without registering... so what gives ?

Weird... :shrug:

Drunken Tiger
05-08-2002, 07:01 AM
Sometimes they sign up and forget that they signed up..:shrug:

I dunno noObs..:laughing:

Shouldnt we chop up some no posting newbies??

Hermit
05-08-2002, 07:03 AM
Well it just seems odd to me... I don't register at a board unless I want to reply to something. Seems there are a lot of folks who sign up just for shits and giggles, which is kinda dumb me thinks. What's the point in that ? :laughing:

Darunia
Funny, they were chopped (mm.. chopped. I'm hungry) a month ago, and we have many NPN again... rape.. em, prune they!

The Silent Assassin
Sometimes they register with fake e-mail accounts...and they don't realized they need to verify the e-mail address by opening a confirmation e-mail and clicking the link to verify the address.

Hermit
05-08-2002, 07:04 AM
Oh I see... that might explain some of them. I hadn't thought about that (obviously). Good point TSA ;)

The Silent Assassin
05-08-2002, 07:05 AM
Good god! You replied too fast to that!

Drunken Tiger
05-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Thats not a very smart idea now is it??:lol:

I apply for those free webspace thingys all the time and i never get around to using them all..:shrug:

Hermit
05-08-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
Good god! You replied too fast to that!

It wasn't my intent to, I was editing my previous post and hit submit... then saw a couple other posts pop up that followed and yes, then I proceeded to reply to your comment.

So since I was already in this thread at the time, that's probably why it was so fast :shrug:

mrz84
05-08-2002, 10:26 AM
someone must destroy these fiends.*pulls out large mallet* BEWARE NO-POSTING NEWBIES! IN THE NAME OF CHHESE, I SHALL PUNISH YOU! *runs into a wall and is knocked unconsious* :kawaii:

Jemsee
05-08-2002, 02:07 PM
When I registered the Game SW Galactic Battlegrounds it forced me (kind of) to register at their boards.
I had no problem with that it looked like a nice site (LucasArts).
But I'v never been back and never posted even once.
That is not the case here, but shows how it can happen.

Mak-X
05-08-2002, 03:20 PM
People register because you have to register to post. They might just be stopping in and think they'll post, or register so they can ask a question but then they find the answer and never come back. I think the nonposters are deleted from time to time now.

Manson Seed
05-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Perhaps a handful of them are incredibly shy? :confuse2:

theplustwo
05-08-2002, 07:31 PM
wouldn't there be some way to delete accounts that don't get used within, let's say, a week of registering? If the person really wanted to post and just never got around to it, they could always re-register with the same name!

Seigeless
05-08-2002, 08:11 PM
I think the admins do occasionally clear inactive members for the sake of space, but 0 posts does not mean they will never post, most of them will come back some time or another when they find out on what they are missing out on.

Hermit
05-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Maybe it's just me. I'd only register if I wanted to post something... and I definately wouldn't take the time to register if I wasn't go to post anything :laughing:

Maybe... just maybe... they've come to take mrz's CHEESE!:mischief:

Ultra22Lemming
05-08-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by seigeless
I think the admins do occasionally clear inactive members for the sake of space, but 0 posts does not mean they will never post, most of them will come back some time or another when they find out on what they are missing out on.

Most of them?. Maybe a couple of them but not likely. If they wanted to post they would do it at most a day after they registered. I think they gave an non-existing e-mail address, or lost interest. I like fmehmobile's idea. One weak is a good time. And they could always re-join like you said.