PDA

View Full Version : Where will ZC end up...

Hermit
05-07-2002, 03:28 PM
I've noticed that all the recent betas of ZC have been Windows ports. Is this going to be the norm from now on ? Or are there still some DOS version in our future.

I have 2 PC's, neither are up to date or high end. One being 200Mhz MMX 32mb RAM nothing special, the other is a 300mhz AMD 64mb RAM nothing special.

I use my 200mhz for all things games and such, which includes ZC and all things related. In DOS it runs smooth as a babies butt man ;) Boot up the windows beta version though.... and Ii basically turns to crap, not that it won't run, it's just slooooooooooooow as hell :laughing:

Is this the end of DOS or what ? If so, I might have to consider packing it up and moving on to something different. Not that I'd leave AG or anything, not at all... just find another project to play with :shrug:

Dark Nation
05-07-2002, 03:42 PM
The DOS port is still there, as I plan to have it be for a long time.

JayeM
05-07-2002, 03:44 PM
A lot of people (like me) prefer DOS, so Dark Nation has been making them dual-platform, Windows and DOS. Hopefully it will continue that way. I'm curious about how ZC will end up in other ways. I feel sure DN has a master plan he's working toward, but I can't figure it out. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. :darkmage:

Menokh
05-07-2002, 04:32 PM
I prefer the Windows version but sometimes it doesn't want to work so the DOS version is a great last resort for me.
Now all we need is a Linux port.....

vegeta1215
05-07-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Menokh
I prefer the Windows version but sometimes it doesn't want to work so the DOS version is a great last resort for me.
Now all we need is a Linux port.....

Yes, a Linux port would make me forever happy and gratefull! DN, please keep it in your mind for the future!

Hermit
05-08-2002, 02:05 AM
Well you have my mucho thanks then DN. These windows version just won't survive on my systems ;)

slothman
05-08-2002, 03:46 AM
The DOS works fine for me except for sound. I didn't hear sound until I tried the Windows beta.

Hermit
05-08-2002, 04:56 AM
I'm with JayeM on this one, I much prefer DOS. It's runs alot faster and smoother than any windows ports I've tried, regardless of the speed it runs at. It just takes longer to load things and save and such. That's probably due to my low PC speeds so no biggie. Windows ports always run slower than DOS versions, doesn't matter what it is ;)

K-Teclis
05-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Many play on DOS... I don't! But we would lose some fans if just use windows ZC versions..

Daarkseid
05-08-2002, 02:48 PM
I have an XP machine with lots of ram and processing power. I haven't tried the DOS version with it, but the windows version works perfectly for this machine. I can get sound and a smooth framerate.

I think a windows port is absolutely necessary given that people are going to continue to update their PCs and that invariably means upgrading whatever OS they use, which in 90% of cases, will be Windows. Windows XP has crappy DOS support, if any DOS support at all. Genecyst, the fastest and arguably greatest Genesis emulator, was only written for DOS and I can't get it to run on XP. The guy who coded it stopped working on it years ago, and to my knowledge, never released the source code(so no chances of a Windows port).

If ZC were to remain DOS only, its going to cut off alot of would be users from it, who use Windows XP.

Raichu86
05-08-2002, 03:40 PM
A Linux port would be nice. But the day the DOS version goes away is the day I stop using ZC, because the Windows version screws up my midi, forcing me to reboot to fix it.

VEL
05-08-2002, 03:44 PM
I prefer the DOS version also. The windows version runs slower, and it keeps "stuttering" it stops moving and I have to wait until it starts again.

Manson Seed
05-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Like Daarkseid, I also have a high end machine with XP and the windows version works great. I agree that to continue to attract more people the windows port should be here to stay. But I agree to keep the DOS version along side it for those that prefer it.

I mean hell, I still use the DOS 1.90 on an old 98 machine to use zquest (until the new windows zquest is release publicly). Then use the newest windows beta player on my XP to play quests. So I still have a use for both.

Menokh
05-08-2002, 04:39 PM
I wonder why so many people have such serious problems with the Windows port? I never have any of these.
It leaves my midis alone, and it always uses MPU-401 to play them. And I've never had it freeze.
Oh well. There is no way to make it work perfectly on everyone's computer.

theplustwo
05-08-2002, 08:53 PM
I like the windows port since it allowes you to multi-task while using zc, I love the windowed mode!

Hermit
05-09-2002, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
I wonder why so many people have such serious problems with the Windows port? I never have any of these.
It leaves my midis alone, and it always uses MPU-401 to play them. And I've never had it freeze.
Oh well. There is no way to make it work perfectly on everyone's computer.

I don't have any problems with the Windows port, I just don't have a decent PC to run it since mine are pretty much low end by todays standards, bought in 96 and 97. I'd upgrade my processors, but that wouldn't be possible without losing everything I have set up the way I like it over the years. RAM isn't a problem, that is easily upgradable.

DOS versions always run perfectly for me though ;)

obi
05-09-2002, 12:51 PM
The windows mode was a godsend for me - the dos didn't work on my XP.

I have only had one prob - after a while, the controls freeze, link don't move. then suddenly, if you pressed some keys, link begins to 'catch up' on thses, It is abd as it always causes me to die. Usually in a darknut room. Could this be a bug?

I'm using 152. so far it has only happened in Appetite for adventure and Days of Eternity.