PDA

View Full Version : PC focus

Beldaran
05-06-2002, 09:16 PM
My Dad wrote an award winning program for the Boeing Company called "CARPS". It is a database written in a language called FOCUS. The software engineers at boeing approached him recently with some modifications they want to implement and they need his help. Today when he got home he had with him a book on FOCUS programming.

I picked it up and opened. I began to laugh. I realized in that moment that I did NOT want to be a programmer. I'm a left-brained artistic/musical type of person, and that stuff just puts me to sleep, even though I think its really fascinating. Isn't that wierd how something so fascinating can still put us to sleep when we encounter it personally. It's sort of like bio-molecular engineering; terribly fascinating, but I couldn't make it through a textbook without a few hundred naps.

So anyways, I feel better knowing that I don't give a crap about programming,:laughing: even though I admire programmers greatly.

Seigeless
05-06-2002, 09:23 PM
I took a C++ course for a whole year thinking I was going to program cool games and apps when I finish it. it was fun at first, but it got way too complicated and confusing at the end. only simple programming is for me, not worldly ones.

Kirov Airship
05-06-2002, 09:45 PM
Here, here. I will be finishing up a C++ basics course in the next few weeks and I have no desire to continue it further. It was an after school duel-enrollment course and it got me three college credits, so it was worth it. Plus I can talk about "cool" C++ stuff and awe my friends with useless knowledge.

Dechipher
05-06-2002, 09:54 PM
im takihng c++ next year...

Rainman
05-06-2002, 10:14 PM
I've study C fairly extensively and I still find it interesting.

Rijuhn
05-06-2002, 11:44 PM
I'm everything at once. For me it really depends on my mood at that time. I like to be active and listen to music, and draw, but I also like to think really really hard about things, and other things that require thinking power. I'd like to make my own game. I'd do all the coding, graphics, music, and everything. That's the beauty of me, but that's also why I get depressed sometimes is because I do to much.

inori
05-07-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Beldaran
My Dad wrote an award winning program for the Boeing Company called "CARPS". It is a database written in a language called FOCUS. The software engineers at boeing approached him recently with some modifications they want to implement and they need his help. Today when he got home he had with him a book on FOCUS programming.

I picked it up and opened. I began to laugh. I realized in that moment that I did NOT want to be a programmer. I'm a left-brained artistic/musical type of person, and that stuff just puts me to sleep, even though I think its really fascinating. Isn't that wierd how something so fascinating can still put us to sleep when we encounter it personally. It's sort of like bio-molecular engineering; terribly fascinating, but I couldn't make it through a textbook without a few hundred naps.

So anyways, I feel better knowing that I don't give a crap about programming,:laughing: even though I admire programmers greatly.

:laughing: That's why there are different types of people in the world. I realized long ago that I have no artistic or musical talent whatsoever, and that my life would be better if I didn't give a crap about that, although I greatly admire those who are good at it. So you can keep the music and I'll keep the programming. :kawaii:

CH@O$
05-07-2002, 02:58 AM
i plan on doing a c++/java double degree at university

richeva
05-07-2002, 03:00 AM
I would like to play it, but i cant at school.
Sounds like im not missing much!!

inori
05-07-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by CH@O$
i plan on doing a c++/java double degree at university

Unless your university is really different from any university I've ever seen, you can't major in a specific programming language - you simply major in computer science, and are taught concepts that go deeper than any particular language.

DarkDragoonX
05-07-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Beldaran
I'm a left-brained artistic/musical type of person...

Um... you DO know that the RIGHT side of the brain controls creativity, right?

Oh, and before you start arguing, here's a link with proof: www.eiu.edu/~edtech/teamTeach_Ex/rightbra.htm

mike5000
05-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Dont laugh at me but what is C++?

Toolie
05-07-2002, 01:18 PM
A programming language. If memory serves me correct, Bell Laboratories ( like the phone company ) created the B programming language. Then someone modified it years later and made C. After more modifications and an introduction to object-oriented programming, a new language was made called C++ ( the ++ means "plus 1" in C ).