PDA

View Full Version : Questions about RPG maker

Beldaran
05-06-2002, 06:14 PM
First off, where can I get it?

Second, I've never used it, and I've never seen anyone finish or release a game on it. Is it a good program? Can you edit the graphics? Can you make your own music? How versatile is it? Is it fun to use? Is it easy to use? What are your opinions of it?

Should I get it, or is it a waste of time?

cap2030
05-06-2002, 06:29 PM
you can get it here
http://rm2k.phantomrpg.com/

You can import your own sprites into it but it has to be .png format(I think).

It's pretty easy to use.

You cant use a gamepad to play the games(not anyway I know of anyway).

Make sure you download both the program and the rtp(a bunch of sprites).

Dechipher
05-06-2002, 07:14 PM
and dl the rtp add on a total of about 17 megs, but its worth it. Maybe I'll make a "RPGMaker Ultimate package", with NWC, RM2K, image editors, and more...if anyone wants it...

DarkFlameWolf
05-06-2002, 10:14 PM
responding to this because I've had extensive background in it: I've made two complete games, one is crap and one is decent. Not telling you about my crap one. But the other is Land of Dreams found at gamingw.net
Working on a 3rd rpg as we speak, but it'll be quite a while before that one is released. maybe like next year.

KJAZZ
05-07-2002, 12:07 AM
Yeah, DFW was at an rm2k community before us...

*shocking music plays*

Get over it. I was at an rm2k community for a while as well.

J.J. Maxx
05-07-2002, 12:17 AM
I still dont think anyone really answered his questions.

MetaStaiford
05-07-2002, 12:19 AM
RPG maker 2000 is good ONLY IF....

your willing to stay with it and actually FINISH an RPG. if you do that, you can create a masterpiece. if you can't, your likely to be with the RM2K crowd for a month, then leave them like almost everyone else

Beldaran
05-07-2002, 12:35 AM
What I really would like to know is...

Can you change the battle interface? What is the default battle interface? How much access to actual game rules/mechanics do you have?

How much access to graphics do you have? Are their programs out there that compile picture files into the necessary file format?

DarkFlameWolf
05-07-2002, 02:06 AM
Can you change the battle interface? What is the default battle interface? How much access to actual game rules/mechanics do you have?
How much access to graphics do you have? Are their programs out there that compile picture files into the necessary file format?
Answering in order:
1) Yes, but it requires a lot of coding, graphics and rm2k know-how to do so. Its called a CBS (or custom battle system.) Do not attempt one unless you are an expert at programming for rm2k.
2) DBS is the Default Battle System, its is basically your standard Dragon Warrior first person perspective. You can do a lot of things with it using the battle event pages supplied to you, do NOT rule out the DBS if its got everything you need, check out the battle pages. I'm using the DBS for my 3rd and final rpg.
3) You have tons of access to game rules and mechanics, be more specific in what you want before I go any further on this question.
4) You have as many graphics as you can find on the net or you can rip for yourself. (I'm a lousy ass ripper, so I gotta get other people to do it for me, which, unfortunately, I'm in short supply right now.)
5) Yes, Photoshop and Adobe.

Beldaran
05-07-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by DarkFlameWolf

Answering in order:
1) Yes, but it requires a lot of coding, graphics and rm2k know-how to do so. Its called a CBS (or custom battle system.) Do not attempt one unless you are an expert at programming for rm2k.
2) DBS is the Default Battle System, its is basically your standard Dragon Warrior first person perspective. You can do a lot of things with it using the battle event pages supplied to you, do NOT rule out the DBS if its got everything you need, check out the battle pages. I'm using the DBS for my 3rd and final rpg.
3) You have tons of access to game rules and mechanics, be more specific in what you want before I go any further on this question.
4) You have as many graphics as you can find on the net or you can rip for yourself. (I'm a lousy ass ripper, so I gotta get other people to do it for me, which, unfortunately, I'm in short supply right now.)
5) Yes, Photoshop and Adobe.

Cool thanks much:) that pretty much answered my questions.