PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic icon system windows OS Patch

jargon
05-06-2002, 02:34 AM
Zelda Classic icon system windows OS Patch
--------------------------------
edit: late may5, 2002
i changed my mind this thread needs to be moved back to ZC DEV forum! -jargon
(re: ok i moved this here from Dev. becuase nobody saw it.)
--------------------------------

***DARK NATION PLEASE READ THIS***

-----
dark nation CONTACT ME!
see end of post!
-----

Zelda Classic icon system windows OS Patch
---
i am attempting write this in vc++ 6.0

it is a system that will update the windows dynamic libraries and registry so that zelda classic, zquest, and agsetup will be assigned icons without having to use shortcuts. also each unique quest file will have its own unique icon due to creating an iconhandler which will be able to download and install new icons for the quests as you copy them to your quest directories.

what hasnt been decided is the way for quest icons to be uploaded to the server.

feel free to give any suggestions ask any questions or leave any comments regarding this. :)

also I NEED ICONS for your .QST files!

either post a GIF image of the icon here or email it to me at [email protected]

!!! remember to include the quest name, copyright, quest version, and zquest version it was made with!

or if you already have the icon file made simply email it to me.

if the icon was made by cheating by simply saving a bmp as .ico then rename it to .bmp and email it to me so i dont have to work too much harder converting it to the correct format!

:)

there might be two versions of each icon...

a greyed-out version and a color version :)

sorry i cant accept alpha-blended xp icons yet!
only 256 color and 16 color etc.

however if you have 24bit bmp's i WILL accept those and convert them for you :)

oh b.t.w. only submit the icons for quests that you are a creator or maintainer of! if you have made a really cool looking icon for one you didnt work on talk to them about it! thanks! :D
------------------
EDIT: the below was inserted on may 6, 2002

im the DEVELOPER of this...

the zc1.90 format does not support icons... that is why i am developing the dynamic linked library 'zcicon.dll' which when installed alters the windows registry so that Zelda Classic Quest files are displayed by unique official quest icons designed by the quest creator/maintainer.

zcicon.dll will contain a set of virtual classes which will cause windows to display the unique icon. if no such icon exists it will display the default triforce icon. also for Zelda Classic it will cause that dos exe to display a gold and silver crest icon designed from the original box.

zquest and agsetup, their icons are still being designed. however the Armageddon Games icon and AG Network icon designs have been completed and looks really spiffy.

the 'flag' for the icon is simply the info for quest copyright, ZQ version, quest version, and quest name
:)

this info will be used to determine the icon returned by IExtractIcon in zcicon.dll's virtual class. :)

when installed the registry will be modified to alter the icon handlers of windows.

also being planned is another class in zcicon.dll which will allow that info to by viewed by right clicking the icon and hitting 'properties' in windows. :)

yet another class is being worked out for being able to double click a quest to pop up a dialog for managing quests and saves to begin playing them immediately... i have been thinking of simply feeding the keyboard buffer to automate the task for when zc or zq start if no command line parameters exist.

zcicon.dll would download the icons automatically off an armageddongames server. the icons would not be stored in the quests themselves unless implemented in a future version of quests in which case the virtual class system would pop up a diolog asking to upgrade itself off the agn servers and if yes would install the virtual class instances responsible for quests higher than ZQ version 1.90/1.92 (or whichever version they begin containing windows icons)

--------
edit:late may5,2002

DARK NATION:
i need info on how to extract the name, author, ZQ version, and (quest version if there is such a variable) from a .QST Zelda Classic Quest file!!!! - Thank you!!!!!!

ive emailed you and pm'd you but you havent responded!

:eek:
--------