PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Sword.

Elemental Knight
05-05-2002, 09:29 PM
I've been interested in getting a sword (perferably, a katana) for soem time now, and a fairly good oppourtunity has fallen into my lap. Mainly, that my Mom's agreed to let me have one, and that The Rowan Tree will be selling swords at MarCon, which I'm going to (MarCon = Multiple Alternative Realities Convention).

Anyhow, I'll admit that I'm new to swords in general. From what I've been able to garner off the web, the optimal hardness (in Rockwells, or Rc) is a 58Rc edge and a 45Rc spine (for a Katana). The handle doesn't have to be intricate (in fact, I'd rather it not be), nor do the fittings have to be 'cool' or 'authentic'. I'm just looking for a sword that works, no questions asked.

Anyhow, here are the two main swords that I'm looking at:

Practical Katana by The Rowan Tree (http://therowantree.com/practical.html)

Black Katana from SwordsOnline.com (http://www.swords-online.com/website/navigator.cgi?type=display&language=&uid=Y3P4uUPE56&refid=None&from=oriental&goto=uc814b&area=functional&sort=type&level=)

The first one seems better, but it's expensive. The second one's cheap, but I don't know the quality of it (and it seems like a display piece, even though it's listed under 'functional'). Also, TRT says the Rc up-front, which only helps their status in my mind.

So, for those who've had experience with swords in general (Katanas in particular), I want your help. Which sword should I aim for? Or do you know of another sword, which is cheaper & of higher quality than either of these?

[PS: I've got a friend who knows his way around swords, so I'll be asking him, too, tomorrow. Also, I plan to get a Bokken at MarCon, so don't think I'm diving straight into swordplay with real swords right away.]

Beldaran
05-05-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Elemental Knight
I'm just looking for a sword that works, no questions asked.

Why does this scare me?:laughing:

Dracula
05-05-2002, 09:55 PM
Katanas are nice. They kicked ass in SOTN. I really want to get a http://www.swords-online.com/data/shop/images/ci4125_medium.jpg
Looks kinda like an Alucard sword, dont'chya think?

MottZilla
05-05-2002, 09:59 PM
The swords in the first link look much better IMO. And don't look like a display/play sword like the second one. But damn they cost a hell of alot.

Elemental Knight
05-05-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
The swords in the first link look much better IMO. And don't look like a display/play sword like the second one. But damn they cost a hell of alot.

Yes, I know. The cost is my main concern - if the Practical was even $20 lower, I wouldn't have any troubles.

Beldaran: I'm not one for appearances. Besides, what's the point in having a display-piece if you can only show it off to a smal lnumber of people (I'm not an extrovert, mind you!)

Dracula: I wouldn't know, I never played SOTN. I just know that I like the Katana's basic meathod better - it's more designed to kill in 2-3 minutes, with multiple movements instead of one large 'heave' like the movies want us to think.

The Silent Assassin
05-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Why are you uh...needing this sword...for fun...or for sport?

MottZilla
05-06-2002, 12:51 AM
If killing sprees are a sport now. ;p

Hermit
05-06-2002, 01:11 AM
Well 2 things here:

1) Neither descriptions really give enough information about the blades themselves to warrent my purchase of either.

2) I wouldn't pay the $210 price for the first one under any circumstance. It's bland, boring, and rather plain. For that price I would expect some serious engraving work on both the handle, possibly the blade itself, on the guard, and the sheath.

3) I've never paid over $125 for any katana I own, and they are way better than that first picture, and more artistic like the second, all being functional and 440 stainless steel which is better and more expensive than both of those blades it seems (don't know the first one, 420 on the second one).

I'd get the second one. $210 for that first one is a huge rip-off. While the second one may appear flashy and a display piece, you'll end up finding that most pieces come machine sharpened and battle ready (functional) regardless of their entent (display, or recreational).

From what is shown in the pictures, combined with the small descriptions, you get alot more in the second one than you do in the first. I have a couple kitanas made by United as well so they make quality stuff ;)

Jemsee
05-06-2002, 09:51 AM
I posted a few pics of swords a whyle back. Gone now.
They are not battle ready and I would assume the 210$ sword is.

The sword I bought at a place I work is seenhere (http://www.swordsonline.com/website/navigator.cgi?type=display&language=&uid=Y3P4uUPE56&refid=None&from=fantasy&goto=pa1047bz&area=all&sort=type).
Note the price is 81.44$ on sale for 54.44.
This is the exact same sword and I paid 35$ for it.
You get what you pay for, if you want battle ready you will have to pay 150$ up. At least I'v never seen anything under 100$ for a small battle ready sword.
It all depends on what you want to do with it.

blckscab
05-06-2002, 10:13 AM
I think that all swords are good.
Just dont leave me in a small room with one with my brother.:laughing:

DarkDragoonX
05-06-2002, 12:28 PM
I have a few swords. Collecting stuff like that is sort of my hobby. I have a short sword, (plain, no frills) a long sword, (has a gothic loo to it, very cool) and this greatsword that's so heavy I can't lift it, and have to drag it around when I want to relocate it. :laughing:

KingArthur
05-06-2002, 01:48 PM
All hail www.budkww.com A nice sword place.

the reason that firs sword is so expensive is because it is actually FORGED, meaning they have to fold the metal and such. It takes a while and is usually done by hand. The cheap swords are usually made by taking a piece of metal ang grinding it into shap, this is not nearly as strong as a forged blade, and is only suitable for display pieces.

Elemental Knight
05-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by KingArthur
The reason that first sword is so expensive is because it is actually FORGED, meaning they have to fold the metal and such. It takes a while and is usually done by hand. The cheap swords are usually made by taking a piece of metal ang grinding it into shape, this is not nearly as strong as a forged blade, and is only suitable for display pieces.

That's the main reason I haven't gone with the second one, because it makes no claims as to how it's forged. Whiel I may never use the sword for anyhting other than cutting clay pidgeons, I'd like to know that if it came to blows, I'd have a good chance of the katana not breaking (which is another problem of machine steel - if it's too hard, it'll be real brittle. Forged swords tend not to have that problem, and can be remedied with your home oven if needed).

Also, Hermit, the price for #1 isn't $210, it's $189. But I am going to E-Mail The Rowan Tree and ask for some info on this model.

Oh, and I've been getting most of my Sword-related info from SwordForum Online's (http://www.swordforum.com/) "University" (http://swordforum.com/sfu/).

[EDIT] Here's the letter I just sent off to the Rowan Tree. I hope I didn't forget anythign major, that can't be answered at the Con.

Hello. I'm interested in buying a sword from The Rowan Tree at MarCon, and I've done some comparison shopping - so far, it seems that the Practical Katana model has the most bang for it's buck, compared to the 'display pieces' I've seen around. But I still have some questions about this model, mainly:

1. Is it possible to send me a full picture of the Practical Katana's blade before assembly into the hilt? I'd like to know how the tang is on it.

2. How much does the average fully-constructed model weigh?

3. Is the harmonic balance of the blade made so that vibration is minimal at the upper hilt?

Thank you in advance,

Elemental Knight [Of course, I used my real name here]

[EDIT 2] I've been reading (http://swordforum.com/fall99/lineup-1.html) again. Apparently, the Practical Katana is almost equal to the Kris Cutlery (http://www.kriscutlery.com/Kris/Japanese/Katana26.asp), but the handle breaks apart upon vibration. Considering the price of the KC, I think I know what I want now.

Hermit
05-06-2002, 07:04 PM
Up to you my man ;)

I only really play with one of mine, the rest just sit and look good on my walls and such :)

The thing about mine though, if any of them ever do happen to break (which would be a tough thing to do and I seriously doubt would ever happen) I get them replaced for free.

You might want to check to see what kind of warranties and such they offer as well.