PDA

View Full Version : Beta Sound Problems Solved

DemoQuestFan
05-05-2002, 05:01 PM
I know some of you have had problems getting sound to work right in the betas up to 152 so I have found a solution which has been verified to work. You must have a copy of your AG.CFG file in your public beta 104 or version 1.90 directories along with your other beta directories for this to work.

1. Take your AG.CFG file that is in your 192 Beta 104 directory or your 1.90 directory and open it.

2. Open your AG.CFG file from your beta (133+)

3. Hit the maximize box on the beta AG.CFG to make the window smaller if needed since you will be copying information from the AG.CFG file that is in your beta 104 or zc 1.90 directory.

4. Copy all your sound info. The lines you need to copy from your public beta 104 or version 1.90 (dont try this with 1.84, it wont work) AG.CFG file are as follows:

digi_card = ? (whatever your sound card is)

midi_card = (Suggestion: Use MPU-401. It sounds better then Adlib. Manually enter MPU if not already there)

quality = 2

sb_port = (Usually 220 or 240) (if applicable) or the matching line for your sound card port

sb_dma = (usually 1 or 7) or use the appropriate line for your card's DMA if not SB16

sb_irq = (Usually 1, 5, or 9) or use the appropriate IRQ line for your card if not SB16

sb_freq = (Optimally this would be set for 22727 for all sound cards regardless of type)

fm_port = (Usually 220 or 330 for SB cards, use line that is matching for your card if not SB16)

mpu_port = 330

That should fix your sound problems if you have low (or no) sound.

Raichu86
05-09-2002, 07:28 PM
I'll try this and see if it fixes the low low midi volume for the Windoze version.

Starkist
05-13-2002, 06:09 PM
I tried this, and it worked......... once. Since then it's back to it's old ways. Any idea of why it did this?

DemoQuestFan
05-13-2002, 10:27 PM
it happened to me recently so I followed those steps over again and I havent had problems since. I think the cfg file or zc itself resets after so much time.

Starkist
05-13-2002, 10:51 PM
Well I checked and the settings are still there. It just doesn't work anymore. :(

DemoQuestFan
05-14-2002, 10:18 AM
Like I said..you may need to do the process all over again

I know this works and im not gonna be forced to admit that it doesnt work if its a bug in ZC. Not if I just had to repeat the whole process myself a few days ago.

Starkist
05-14-2002, 02:20 PM
It still didn't work. I deleted the variables and loaded ZC. Then I exited and put the variables back in. Still no midi sound.

Thunderbird
05-19-2002, 11:40 PM
Doesn't the MPU-401 device refer to an externally attached MIDI device? (If I'm not mistaken here) If so, than it doesn't work without such a device. I know that in every DOS game that I've tried to use that device for, I never get MIDI sound.

As for the Windows version, you can fix the low MIDI volume, simply ALT-TAB out, open your mixer and raise the MIDI volume back to the right level :). You'll have to repeat the process each time you start ZC, but it works.

DemoQuestFan
05-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Not necessiraly...I use the MPU-401 setting and I have no such device. I got that idea from someone who doesnt even have an MPU-401 device. I guess it depends on the soundcard's compatibilities. My soundcard, which is a SoundBlaster Live!, is very compatible with the MPU-401 setting.

Thunderbird
05-21-2002, 10:44 PM
That is very interesting :). I tried it out on my laptop system and the sound worked flawlessly in DOS (previously no sound came from MIDI at all, as the only MIDI device is software based for this system). It works fairly well in all other DOS games as well I've noticed.

I will point out one thing though, it is NOT recommended to do that on a Sound Blaster 16. I did that on my desktop system, which uses the SB16 for DOS games, and the system hard-locked. There's no real benefit to it anyway, as the SB16 has no wavetable synthesizer chip ;).

DemoQuestFan
05-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Thunderbird
I will point out one thing though, it is NOT recommended to do that on a Sound Blaster 16. I did that on my desktop system, which uses the SB16 for DOS games, and the system hard-locked. There's no real benefit to it anyway, as the SB16 has no wavetable synthesizer chip ;). [/B]

I have a SB Live, so I have to use SB16 for my setting and use the IRQ of 7 for the SB16 emulation driver. A true SB16 card uses MIDI port of 240 and not MPU. I only use MPU cause the later SB models support it.

these were my old SB16 settings...yours may be different

Port: 220
IRQ: 5
DMA: 1
Midi: 220 or 330..never played with this one