Predcon1
05-03-2002, 09:52 PM
What's the difference?

Jigglysaint
05-03-2002, 10:01 PM
You mean besides the spelling?

Predcon1
05-03-2002, 10:05 PM
Well, yeah. I mean, are daemons like familiars?

Dracula
05-03-2002, 10:06 PM
I don't think there is really a dif... except Daemon is latin, Demon is english... If there is a difference, I'll let you know. I'm a pro at this stuff ;)

Daarkseid
05-03-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Predcon1
Well, yeah. I mean, are daemons like familiars?

I've heard the spelling daemon used such, I think in some occult religions or whatever, and then in that wonderful fantasy novel, The Golden Compass, where everybody has a "Daemon", or familiar that they're born with.

Jigglysaint
05-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid

I've heard the spelling daemon used such, I think in some occult religions or whatever, and then in that wonderful fantasy novel, The Golden Compass, where everybody has a "Daemon", or familiar that they're born with.

Almost like having a Pokemon or a Digimon from the time your born. Hey, that would make a great(ratingswise)Anime for when all the others go the way of the Pikachu.

DarkDragon
05-03-2002, 10:35 PM
I think Daemon is just an alternate spelling of Demon used by some Brits... not positive, though.
Daemon is also a computer programming that sits around, passively reacting to certain situations, (The mail server code being the most frequently cited example) although I doubt Daemon originated in that context.

Predcon1
05-03-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid

Ah, yes. Phillip Pullman. I read The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife, but I have yet to read The Amber Spyglass.

plith
05-03-2002, 11:24 PM
Same here. I read the first two, and it wasn't for another three or four years till he gets the third one out. No fucking way I'm gonna re-read the first two just to understand the last one.

Daarkseid
05-03-2002, 11:36 PM
So thats what the third book is called! I read the Golden Compass, and most of a proof reader's copy of the Subtle Knife, but I didn't know what the third book was called... I need to get those books again though.

JayeM
05-03-2002, 11:47 PM
The Amber Spyglass was definitely worth the wait...I love that trilogy!

Zeo
05-04-2002, 11:52 AM
I really liked the subtle knife............