PDA

View Full Version : The genius of Douglas Adams...

Zaphod Q. IX
05-03-2002, 12:03 PM
Precipitated by a recent discussion of the origins of my online moniker, I have decided to undertake reading the complete published works of Douglas Adams once again. This is no easy task, as the genius of Douglas Adams tends to bend the mind like a salt shaker, and other such nonsense.

As I read these collected works, I will post a weekly tribute to the great mind that spewed forth such glittering doldrums as the babel fish, Trillian, Ford Prefect, and Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Yes, babelfish and trillian came from the Hitchhiker's Guide. And Zaphod Beeblebrox was a froody guy...

The story of the babel fish:

"The Babel fish," said The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy quietly, "is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy not from its carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindboggingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'
"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
"`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

pure genius... :-Þ

Saffith
05-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Ah, yes. I've been meaning to read more of his stuff. I've missed so much of it...

I have the illustrated version of the Hitchhiker's Guide. It's wonderful. Big damn book, about a foot by a foot and a fourth. It's really well done. And Trillian is freaking hot (Something I'm rarely given to saying).

Foxy
05-03-2002, 01:31 PM
*sighs* Brings back good memories. Ya know what I realized last night? JJ has at least 2 copies of almost every one of D. A.'s books...in some cases, he has 3 of each!! Now that is a faithful follower. ;) He'll love these new threads, Zaph. :thumbsup:

slothman
05-03-2002, 02:50 PM
I read the HGTTG books. THey are pretty funny. I also don't read much fiction so that is a compliment. BTW I like tricia Mcmillin better that Trillion.
I can't wait for the movie. I think Robin Williams is going to play Zaphod but it is not conformed.

AlexMax
05-03-2002, 02:56 PM
I love Hitchhikers guide. As well as anything DA.

In fact, i used to have a siggy with a quote from him in it. ^_^

Menokh
05-03-2002, 03:27 PM
I love his books.
I've been looking for "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" for awhile now, still haven't found it.

Anyhow, I should reread the Hitvhhiker series.

J.J. Maxx
05-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Heh, what can I say? The guy is pure genius. The only book I ever laughed out loud to. Nothing will ever compare to his writing. Not even mine although you can see his effect on my writing style big time.

Oh and I always thought if they were going to make a HHG2TG movie Robin Williams would make a good Arthur. Here's my personal breakdown of characters. :)

Arthur Dent: Robin Williams
Ford Prefect: Jeff Goldblum
Zaphod Beeblebrox: David Bowie
Trillian: Sarah Jessica Parker
Fenchurch: Andie McDowell
Prosthetic Vogon Jelts: Michael Douglas

With Special Guest Appearances by:
John Cleese as the nervous bartender.
Jessica Lansbury as the old woman in the plane.
James Earl Jones as the voice of Marvin

Those are the ones I named off the top of my head. :thumbsup:

Elemental Knight
05-03-2002, 06:40 PM
I've been trying to get things to dissapear in puffs of logic for a few months now, since I first got HitchHiker's Guide in .MP3 format.

So far, it hasn't worked all that well. Just about the only thing I can make to dissapear in a logic-puff is my work ethic. But I'll keep at it.

JayeM
05-03-2002, 06:46 PM
For awhile I tried to learn to fly (by throwing myself at the ground and missing) but it got to be too painful...

Jemsee
05-03-2002, 06:47 PM
This sounds like a good read, must check it out soon.

The Silent Assassin
05-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Lol! That's pretty good. I haven't ever heard of this guy beofore, though.

Zaphod Q. IX
05-04-2002, 02:35 PM
The funniest thing happened this morning. The BBC did a half-hour special on DNA! They talked about his beginnings as a BBC writer, the Hitchhiker's Guide BBC radio show (which came before the book), the Hitchhiker's Guide2 web site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/), and tons of other things.

They also said that there is going to be a movie JJ! They didn't have a bunch of details like who was playing what characters, but...:shrug:

I'm about halfway through re-reading hhgtg now...not bad considering that I started yesterday afternoon :)

TSA, Jemsee, you should check out DNA's books...they're well worth the price...

Fatty Lumpkin
05-04-2002, 09:01 PM
:reading:
I love the HGttG trilogy:laughing: It is rather inaccurately named, isn't it.

I read one of the Dirk Gently books, but I thought it was boring.:sleep:

I love telling people who havn't read his books how to fly!:lmao:

The Silent Assassin
05-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Elemental Knight is going to help me get some mp3s of his work.

Artevoi
05-05-2002, 07:06 AM
My first exposure to his works was when I borrowed the first three HGttG books from my uncle (who couldn't understand them :) ).
And just two weeks ago, I bought The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (A collection of all the books) from a local (local as in "within 100 miles") bookstore because I liked the series so much.
I'd recommend the series to anyone who can understand it.