PDA

View Full Version : Day/Night effects with Pallete Cycling...

Raichu86
05-02-2002, 07:16 PM
I was wondering how you could create Day/Night effects with pallete cycling. I heard that's what VEL is doing. My problem is, I cannot fade all 3 CSets, I can only fade 1 of them. Does anybody know how?

VEL
05-02-2002, 07:22 PM
I'm not doing it with pallete cycling, I'm doing it with a seperate dmap, that has a different pallete. I've never been good with pallete cycling. ;)

Raichu86
05-02-2002, 07:24 PM
Ah, I thought of doing that too, but my overworld uses multiple dmaps. Guess I'm outta luck.

C-Dawg
05-02-2002, 08:45 PM
No you're not. You just need multiple Dmaps for each Dmap of your overworld.

-C

Raichu86
05-03-2002, 01:23 PM
But if one side warps from one dmap to another, and the dmap they sidewarp to uses a different pallete, things would look crappy. :tongue:

C-Dawg
05-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Raichu86
But if one side warps from one dmap to another, and the dmap they sidewarp to uses a different pallete, things would look crappy. :tongue:

Why would you do that? Make sure that you're always on the same level pallette when you move between screens.

-C

Raichu86
05-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Because I have music in town and music outside of town. The way I make the music change is with a side warp. Now, if I only use different dmaps for my overworld to change the day/night, then what if the warp out of town tries to convert to the day pallete? If the pallete you're currently on is night, it will look screwed up, because the screen will black out all weird.

plith
05-03-2002, 06:32 PM
Do you actually plan to use all other 63 maps for other stuff? I don't think so. Just export the map (they export individually) and import it into a blank map. Then make new DMaps for them. Doesn't take that much...

Raichu86
05-03-2002, 07:02 PM
But the problem with that is things that permanently change on the overworld, say, burned down trees, will come back at night if you burn them in the day. :(

C-Dawg
05-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Totally a valid concern. Dealing with stuff like that means you either have to live with some triggers being semi permentant, which isnt so bad, or you could design around them. For instance, have trees grow differently at night and change what sort of secrets are availiable.

-C

Raichu86
05-04-2002, 12:17 AM
Yes, that might be possible. But I don't think it's worth my time for this quest, I have too much to get done already. I'm starting to worry about the deadline.

K-Teclis
05-05-2002, 06:41 AM
Well... than it could be hard... But you could make the quest cooler the day/night effect of diffrent secrets! That would make
playing much more fun! But if you don't want to do everything twice.. forget it!

GuitarmanTim
05-06-2002, 06:08 AM
I thought palette cycling reset everytime you enter a new screen, I know it can be done with animated combo's (you'll have to use something similar to the classic tileset because you need ALOT of color space but I CAN be done). Alpro (who doesn't hang out here much anymore) showed me how it's done a while back. Just use 1 cset and put all the divirent shades in it, then make every tile double but with divirent shades, and set every combo to animate at the slowest speed possible (255). This also preserves the day/night status in between screens (even Dmaps I think) but like a said, u need ALOT of space.

Raichu86
05-06-2002, 08:31 PM
That's a very good idea Tim! I don't have that kinda space though. :(

GuitarmanTim
05-07-2002, 10:39 AM
thanx ;)