PDA

View Full Version : Goemon's Great Adventure

Mak-X
05-01-2002, 07:13 PM
I bought Goeman's Great Adventure, the second N64 Mystical Ninja game, last saturday for about $25 used at EB Gameworld. I started playing it yesterday and it was hard at first...but its a lot of oldskool 2-D fun once I got the hang of the controls.

Unlike the first N64 game that was a full 3-D adventure (like a combo of Zelda and Mario), Goeman's Great Adventure goes back to its roots and the style of the SNES game in the U.S., Mystical Ninja, and features side scrolling 2-D gameplay with 3-D graphics. The graphics are similar and borrowed from Mystical Ninja (N64) such as the character models but improved to where you can see this is a sequel and Konami learned from the last game.

The side scrolling stages make up the bulk of the game. You must complete each stage to get each token in order to head to the boss stage. Sometimes you have to return to a stage again to find other tokens or do a task for a villager like finding music instruments. Because the game is basically a 3-D game with 2-D style stages, the stages will move and turn as you walk along the screen. It makes it much more interesting because you can see all the different paths and turns as you go through the stage. Most stages usually have a couple of different paths you can choose to go, usually to get powerups or other tokens.

The town areas are set on a 2-D path but you can move your character around a little bit like a 3-D game. When going into houses, the camera stays in one spot and rotates as you walk your character around. In the towns you can stop at the inn to save, buy food that refills your life when you reach 0, and buy armor that protects you from a few hits. There are plenty of villagers to talk to that give you hints on what you need to do and where to find certain items, as well as giving you tasks in the action stages.

This game is fun. It was really hard at first, especially since you only have 3 hits until you die. But once I got the hang of controlling Goemon, it really got fun, and just like the old days where side scrollers were more common on systems like SNES and NES. Goemon's main weapon is a pipe which can be upgraded in attack power and range as you collect "cats". Most of the enemies require one hit to kill, the trick is destroying them as you go through the stages, jumping and running, without getting hit, because you only have 3 hits until you die. Goemon can also use a chain pipe for long range attack, and shoot Ryo(coins) at a long distance at the cost of 1 Ryo per throw. Goemon doesn't seem too jump high at first and seems akward because gravity takes him down, but he has a double jump that you can do by tapping A anytime before he reaches his vertex.

The game is also totally co-operative, allowing you and a friend to play together in the action stages and towns. You can even piggy back with your friend and have one player control movement and jumping, and the other attacking/shooting. The only problem is making sure you both keep up with each other or one might leave the other behind. I haven't really played much co-op though.

In one stage as a miniboss, a giant skeleton attacks you on a bridge, and I swear it looks just like the giant skeleton from Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness. I'm sure they did that on purpose.

This game is funny. The first game's style of humor reminded me of the quirky humor of Earthbound, and it continues in this game. The first game had 3 songs sung in Japanese, and the sequel has...actual speech for the characters in the intro in Japanese with subtitles! It was really neat to actually hear Goemon and Ebisimaru talk outside their grunts and groans. Unfortunately, the speech is only in the beginning of the game, and I would assume the ending, with the rest of the game just being text.

After getting all the tokens from the first stages, I was allowed to go to the first boss stage, which is huge. Its a really big castle stage with flames everywhere and even some enemies running around on fire. There are several "weight droping things" that will crush you like Thwomps. You basically just go through the level destroying enemies and slowly going up in the levels. Its just really fun. You can see the other pathways in the background as the scale in especially on this stage. As you near the top of the castle, Impact, the giant robot which your trying to save since he went crazy from mindcontrol, starts punching with his hands like Thwomps, and all you see is the giant round ball of the hands. Further along you can see him in the distance, and he shoots projectiles from the background from his nose.

Another great thing about Goeman's Great Adventure is the music. Konami makes great music for the Mystical Ninja games. A lot of the music in this game are new versions of the themes in the last Mystical Ninja. As I mentioned that the first boss stage was long, just like in the last Mystical Ninja game, the stage music changes the farther you get in the stage, making the music a bit more upbeat and refreshing as your getting further in the level.

The final part of the boss stage is...a Giant Robot Battle! One of the best parts of Mystical Ninja (N64) returns. And this time there's a female robot that you can switch with Impact during the fight by tossing a cylinder object to the other robot...that is moving around and trying to help you in the distance! Impact or the other robot will skate around helping you fight the boss robot, even hitting the enemy towards you so you can get some punches in.

So far I've beaten the first world and I'm nearing the boss stage of the second. Goemon's Great Adventure is a really fun game, especially for people that like the 2-D side scrolling platformers of the old days. If you find this game used, and your into quirky humor, and good sidescrolling gameplay with giant robot battles, this is a good game to get for Nintendo 64.

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/153/153758p1.html

http://www.goemon.com/

ctrl-alt-delete
05-02-2002, 09:53 AM
I've had this game for a while, but I stopped playing it. I stopped playing all video games lately. High school really sucks. Can't wait until summer!