PDA

View Full Version : M S ofice or Pow er pont

Jemsee
05-01-2002, 02:09 PM
I need a copy of office 97 or 2000
or just the power point part.
My daughter needs it for a collage course.
anyone know where I might get a copy?

vegeta1215
05-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Our college has a special license deal with Microsoft, and we get their software really cheap. I got MS Office 2000 Pro (Word, Frontpage, Power Point, Access, etc...) for $20.

You should check to see if your daughter's school doesn't already have some kind of deal like this. Or, if your daugter's school has any computer labs, they may have the program on them as well. The labs at my school have everything we would need should we not have them in our dorms.

Otherwise, you may be paying alot of money at the stores.

Jemsee
05-01-2002, 02:52 PM
Thanks I'll check into this.
I guess there is nothing on the web.
Is WL still operating that one server he had?
I seem to remember a copy there.

inori
05-01-2002, 02:52 PM
You bought MS software, vegeta? :blah: And $20 for Office Pro? Does your school have some sort of licensing deal that's better than the standard academic pricing?

Actually, if your daughter is a college student, she should definitely be able to get Powerpoint through academic pricing; if not through her school, then on the web. Microsoft's web site mentions academic pricing somewhere; you can search there for a start.

vegeta1215
05-01-2002, 02:55 PM
I don't know what kind of deal we get. I also got Win2k Pro for $5 and Visual Studio 6.0 Pro (Complete) for $25. I could get WinXP Pro for $10 if I wanted. I do think a small part of our tuition goes towards letting us get MS software really cheap, I'm not sure. It's just the cds, not packaging or manuals, that might make it a bit cheaper.

But, I bought those all last year. I don't really need them now that I'm on Linux. But, my Dad installed Office at home for my bro to use, so it's cool.

AlexMax
05-01-2002, 05:13 PM
Screw that.

You can get Wordperfect Office for less than 100 dollars. It has an equivilent for everything in MS Office (I think), and generally is a better product.

Though if you are willing to learn Linux, StarOffice is 100% free and functional.

Jemsee
05-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone I think I may have the problem solved.
:)

theplustwo
05-01-2002, 05:24 PM
vegta, I would ask you to get me some 'o' that winxp pro lovin' if I could somehow get the $10 to you... then I could stop using cracks that don't work in my room. Having to reformat every 30 days sucks. And Linux doesn't support my usb wireless network reciever, so I can't use it..... =/

vegeta1215
05-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Star Office isn't free anymore. Starting with 6.0, you now how to pay for it. Of course, you get it if you buy the more expensive distributions of Linux (like the Mandrake Power Pack edition), but otherwise, it's not free. Sun pretty much shot themselves in the foot.

Open Office however, is free. It's the open source version of Star Office.

Glad you found a solution Jemsee :D

To frehmoble: Sorry, I wish I could, but I signed an agreement saying I can't distribute or copy the software I get there. Besides, I can only get one copy. If my Dad ever wanted a copy in the future, I'd be out of luck. I'd say get Linux, it's free, and you'd never have to worry about degragging your pc. What do you use a wireless device for?

Menokh
05-01-2002, 05:31 PM
Fuck that.
Go with SOT Office, it is a great version of OpenOffice.
I belive the address is http://www.sot.com/en/linux/soto/
It's a really great and stable office suite, and there is a Windows version. Best of all it's free!

vegeta1215
05-01-2002, 05:32 PM
"Software is like sex. It's better when it's free." ~ Linus Torvalds

Menokh
05-01-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
"Software is like sex. It's better when it's free." ~ Linus Torvalds

I couldn't agree more.
And Open Source makes it better. For one thing open source fosters competition. There is already 3 office suites based on the same thing; Star Office, Open Office, and SOT Office; all great products, but the latter two I can afford.

The Silent Assassin
05-01-2002, 06:36 PM
The university of Texas has an agreement with DevilSoft, too. We get full versions of Windows for 15 bucks, even XP. I get Marcomedia proudcts at 25% of wholesale cost. I can even get Unix shit for under 30 bucks.

I have Office XP Pro, with every Office Tool in 2002 format.

theplustwo
05-01-2002, 06:46 PM
DAMN YOU TSA YOU LUCKY BTASTARD!!!!!!1/1/1/1/1/ j/k