PDA

View Full Version : how could i resize a pcx or bmp and the tiles stell look good?

LORD OF SAIYANZ
04-30-2002, 03:56 AM
yeah every one i resize is realy not worth anything=/

maybe can't help it.

DarkFlameWolf
04-30-2002, 10:02 AM
resizing things smaller in size makes them appear sharper and better. Resizing them larger usually results in ugly pixelated crap. So if you're resizing down, no problem, its going up that's the toughy. And that I don't know what program you should use for resizing larger.

C-Dawg
04-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by DarkFlameWolf
resizing things smaller in size makes them appear sharper and better.

Incredibly untrue. Making something smaller will improve the quality only if your program antialiases, or if the pixels are set up just right along the grid that it'll reduce. Making a bmp smaller will frequently mash up alot of the pixels and you'll have to do some re-editing of the tiles.

In general, ANY resizing of pictures is going to involve alot of tile editing. Its not really that hard, though. Just tinker with it till it works right. It might be easier to edit by zooming in paint rather than using Zquest if your picture is bigger than one tile, though. There's no magic program that can do this for you.

-C

DarkFlameWolf
04-30-2002, 10:44 AM
don't know what program you're using C-dork, but in my experience, resizing things smaller has resulting in no editing and it looking a lot better than resizing larger which results in lots of editing work.

C-Dawg
04-30-2002, 10:49 AM
I dont remember you ever doing any tile editing in Zquest, so I assume you're talking about resizing a generic picture in Photoshop or something. When you make things smaller, yes, you do smooth over the whole picture, make the details look more intracite, and in general make it look better. But after a point, you begin to lose details or have different parts of the picture smudge together. This isnt a problem if you're not reducing much or dont care about the pixel-by-pixel accuracy, but if you're editing tiles in Zquest, you probably care about remaking the pixels.

This sort of problem is exactly why we need Sludges out there to resize LttP tiles. You cant just go into paint and reduce Hyrule Castle by 50%- you might start by doing that, but you're going to have to edit the tiles heavily to get them to allign correctly and clean up the details.

-C

DarkFlameWolf
04-30-2002, 10:53 AM
well since Saiyanz didn't specify what he wanted resized, I assumed general pictures. And resizing smaller works on general pictures and in the end, unless you're concerned about pixel by pixel accuracy, that should suffice.

JayeM
04-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Since he's wanting to use them for tiles, pixel-by-pixel accuracy is essential. And no, there's no program that will do that. I've found that converting images to GIF's helps, for some reason GIF's are easier for me to grab from ZQuest.

Cronic
04-30-2002, 02:34 PM
Perhaps we should get Warlock to teach us his ways... he's done a damn good job on sprites for Glenn's set.

PS. Dfw, and C-dawg. I am ordering a cease fire with the name calling back and forth. It is not appreciated here. and can easily be avoided by simply ignoring one another. I don't care if it's playful it still sends the wrong messages.

LORD OF SAIYANZ
04-30-2002, 03:42 PM
how do you grab tiles from a gif??????

only thing i can grab off of is bmp's and pcx's=/

but thx for the help any way=/

DarkFlameWolf
04-30-2002, 03:46 PM
use a program such as adobe or photoshop that can open gifs and save them as bmps. Then simply load those bmps into the tile editor in Zquest and rip away. :P

C-Dawg
04-30-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic

PS. Dfw, and C-dawg. I am ordering a cease fire with the name calling back and forth. It is not appreciated here. and can easily be avoided by simply ignoring one another. I don't care if it's playful it still sends the wrong messages.

Might I direct your attention to the following thread...

http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55278

-C

Cronic
04-30-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg

Might I direct your attention to the following thread...

http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55278

-C

You can so long as you can expalain how that thread is relevent to the situation at hand, which I would prefer be done through PM.

C-Dawg
04-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Fair enough, though I think the relevance is pretty obvious.

Anyway, I dont want to get too far off topic, so I'll just drop it.

-C

GuitarmanTim
05-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by DarkFlameWolf
don't know what program you're using C-dork, but in my experience, resizing things smaller has resulting in no editing and it looking a lot better than resizing larger which results in lots of editing work.

obviously you have no clue what you talking about and have never resized anything to 16x16 pixels, so stop talking shit and I suggest you stop flaming too cause you know what happens to flamers here...

to help you out lord, mostly if you want to resize something to make it really small, details like eyes will go lost. Try selecting an area in the picture that doesn't contain important details, like legs on a character, or something similar. Keep in mind that the head needs to stay almost as it is, it will almost always turn out sucky if you try to resize a head.

*edit* may I remind that this topic nothing to do with ZQ, and everything with tile developement, so *cough*moveitguys*cough* ;)

C-Dawg
05-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Good point, Tim. If the Sprite Forum got even half of the tile-editing related concerns that we get in ZC, it wouldnt be the vast wasteland that it currently is ;)

LORD OF SAIYANZ
05-08-2002, 05:09 AM
Good point, Tim. If the Sprite Forum got even half of the tile-editing related concerns that we get in ZC, it wouldnt be the vast wasteland that it currently is

well you said it:laughing:

and thats why i did'nt post it in there;)

but i'm sorry,anyways:(

to help you out lord, mostly if you want to resize something to make it really small, details like eyes will go lost. Try selecting an area in the picture that doesn't contain important details, like legs on a character, or something similar. Keep in mind that the head needs to stay almost as it is, it will almost always turn out sucky if you try to resize a head.

and GuitarmanTim. i know im cool and all.
but you don't have to call me lord:D

J/K man thx for all the help.
you all allways come thro for me:pimp:

thx everybody=]

GuitarmanTim
05-08-2002, 06:27 AM
hehe, ok, np .... of Saiyanz :thumbsup: