PDA

View Full Version : The degrading of games over time...

Rijuhn
04-30-2002, 01:28 AM
How many of you play roms? I do, but I only have the most popular, and already beat a few games. I only have the SNES classic RPG's, and Super Metroid.

When I played all those games again they seemed to have lost some of their spark, and a lot of their quality. I think it's because I'm older, the game isn't brand new, and there is no anticipation for it. It isn't cutting edge, and I'm not playing it on my SNES.

So it got me thinking. Why do I love Nintendo so much. Is it simply because of their quality of games? No. It's because Nintendo has a magic quality about their software, and hardware, and because the quality of their games.

When I first opened up my GCN I was so happy that I didn't want to plug it in, cause I wanted to savor the moment. All I'm really triyng to say is that I'm a Nintendo fanboy from here to Texas (hi TSA) and will continue to be. Reading that one post of how M$ was trying to buy Nintendo made me despise M$ fucking monopoly, and stand behind Nintendo and their phylosophies(sp?) Good night everyone.

Oh, and one last thing...

DAMN YOY TO HELL M$!!! YOU HEAR ME!! DAMN YOU!!!!:angry: :mad: :thumbsdn:

MottZilla
04-30-2002, 02:24 AM
I have tons of games and they will never be life playing them for the first time again, well, unless you get some sort of head injury, lol. Anyways, they are all still fun. I'm not really looking for many new games now. Cause after the 80s or so to 2000, I've probably got just about enough games to last forever. ;p

Overlord
04-30-2002, 09:24 AM
Nintendo are gods of the gaming world ;)

I think you're right, I've gone back and played all my favorites.. and games that took me months to finish once upon a time I get through in an hour.. Because we're older and more experienced. Although the young generation today are experiencing the same sensations with all the new games.

I can't wait to get a Cube, probably like August before I get one, but it's just... so... Nintendo! :D

And PS: Microsoft suck bug time :thumbsdn:

Mak-X
04-30-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
How many of you play roms? I do, but I only have the most popular, and already beat a few games. I only have the SNES classic RPG's, and Super Metroid.

When I played all those games again they seemed to have lost some of their spark, and a lot of their quality. I think it's because I'm older, the game isn't brand new, and there is no anticipation for it. It isn't cutting edge, and I'm not playing it on my SNES

That's one of the reasons I don't play ROMs when I can just play the actual game on the original console with the controller, in my room on my TV like they're suppose to be played. Playing the games on a computer would cheapen and ruin the experience for me. Plus, if I started getting lots of ROMs, I'd probably explode, and start discarding games because they're so easy to obtain.

DarkDragoonX
04-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Meh, I don't have the cash to re-buy all the consoles and games I've pawned over the years. So instead, I got a thrustmaster gamepad, and one of them little things that let's your PC screen display on a TV. It's great. Now all I have to do is build a stand-up arcade cabinet, and get a seperate PC, And I'll have, essentially, a PlayChoice - 500! w00t!

Daarkseid
04-30-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by DarkDragoonX
It's great. Now all I have to do is build a stand-up arcade cabinet, and get a seperate PC, And I'll have, essentially, a PlayChoice - 500! w00t!

Now that would just be awesome...

I've worn my left thumbs callous raw from playing all those Street Fighter games on Kawaks this past week.

Cronic
04-30-2002, 02:37 PM
They are every bit as magical to me now as they were then... rom or console it's all the same to me really.

The Silent Assassin
04-30-2002, 03:04 PM
This is stupid.

Cronic
04-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
This is stupid.

care to expand upon that profound statement TSA?

MottZilla
04-30-2002, 04:49 PM
I agree DC so long as the emulator is fully capable of emulating the game without error and has the scanline video blitter. ;)

Manson Seed
04-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Emulation is more convenient. You can have multiple systems on one PC which is a lot easier then having all these separate game consoles and controllers all tangled up in your bedroom or whatever.

However, I still play the NES and SNES games every now and then. A lot of games today have such nice graphics it's like watching a movie that you control. And once you finish the game it's kinda like a movie, you don't feel like playing or watching it again for a long time...i dunno.

MottZilla
04-30-2002, 05:01 PM
heh. I never thought of it that way before Manson.

Daarkseid
04-30-2002, 05:02 PM
I actually REALLY HATED playing roms on the PC up until last year when I got a decent gamepad to play them with. I only really resorted to it because I got to play games that I had no real access to, either because they're old and obscure, or they were Japanese release only, or were originally only Arcade games.

They're much more enjoyable with a good gamepad though. I want to see about getting this PSX USB adapter that will allow me to use my old PSX controller on my PC. That would be ideal, seeing as how PC gamepads tend to be cheaply made(at least mine is) or designed for entirely different sorts of games.

MottZilla
04-30-2002, 05:07 PM
I agree daark. It's not much fun without a controller. =\ I plan to get a PSX to USB thing too.

Mak-X
04-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Manson Seed
Emulation is more convenient. You can have multiple systems on one PC which is a lot easier then having all these separate game consoles and controllers all tangled up in your bedroom or whatever.

In my room, I have all 4 Nintendo consoles out ready to play on a 2 shelf...shelf. On the second shelf I have my NES and SNES side by side. On top of the shelf I have my N64 and Gamecube side by side. The bottom shelf has all my NES and SNES games along with the Zapper and instruction booklets. The bottom shelf has sliding doors which has a bunch of old Nintendo stickers on it. I have a bunch of cables lying between my 27" tv and the shelf stand with the plugs and a/v cables within reach to swap in the plugs so I can play each console. Thank fully my TV has front A/V inputs, wish it had S-Video though. My N64 controllers and games are stored in plastic containers.

My Gravis PC Gamepad is so screwed up to where I can't get the stick/pad to align properly, so playing Zelda Classic is annoying. Link keeps jerking in one direction or will move away when I'm trying to block or stay still.

The Silent Assassin
04-30-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic

care to expand upon that profound statement TSA?

Read the poll choices...

Manson Seed
04-30-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Mak-X

In my room, I have all 4 Nintendo consoles out ready to play on a 2 shelf...shelf. On the second shelf I have my NES and SNES side by side. On top of the shelf I have my N64 and Gamecube side by side. The bottom shelf has all my NES and SNES games along with the Zapper and instruction booklets. The bottom shelf has sliding doors which has a bunch of old Nintendo stickers on it. I have a bunch of cables lying between my 27" tv and the shelf stand with the plugs and a/v cables within reach to swap in the plugs so I can play each console. Thank fully my TV has front A/V inputs, wish it had S-Video though. My N64 controllers and games are stored in plastic containers.

Nice, you are a little more organized than I am:laughing:

Axel
05-01-2002, 02:05 PM
you forgot the option,
"Sony and Nintdendo are all right, but SEGA will never die!!!!"

Rijuhn
05-01-2002, 02:24 PM
I made it biased at hell after reading the article of how M$ tried to buy Nintendo. And because it's all in good fun (it's fun to make fun of M$.) :D

Daarkseid
05-01-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Axel
you forgot the option,
"Sony and Nintdendo are all right, but SEGA will never die!!!!"

SEGA as a console maker did die.