PDA

View Full Version : Fellowship of the Ring Xbox --- WTF?!

Warlock
04-29-2002, 10:47 PM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2863232,00.html

Ok, what is that?! There is a friggin' crosshair in those shots! Leave it to Xbox to turn Fellowship of the Ring into an FPS! What's sad, was that this was one of the VERY few games for Xbox I thought might be cool.. but now it looks like crap. LotR is NOT meant to be a FPS!

Oh well, there is another version coming from EA for the PC which will prob be better.. the early screens looked really nice. Of course I dunno, as EA tends to make a lot of crappy movie games.. we'll see I guess...

King Link
04-29-2002, 11:03 PM
I think the game isn't looking too bad, but I agree, why crossheirs?

I thought this game would've been a little more 3rd person, something more similar to the movies, not a FPS. Still, I've played games like this, they are fun. Guess we'll have to wait for the reaction and reviews; at least I will, I don't have Xbox.

Hermit
04-29-2002, 11:07 PM
It does look seriously gay. And to think it could have been made into one of the greatest RPGs of all time :shrug:

WTF is little Froto going to do in First Person anyway ??? Kick people with his big hairy feet ?

The Silent Assassin
04-29-2002, 11:10 PM
Nice graphics...but yeah, they need to lose the crosshair.

Warlock
04-29-2002, 11:17 PM
I heard he throws rocks and uses a slingshot.. I guess..

DarkDragoonX
04-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Well, at least we have the GCN game as a backup, seeing as how this one SUCKS MAJOR DICK!!!

Warlock
04-29-2002, 11:28 PM
Yeah, although I think the GC one might be based on the Hobbit..

DarkDragoonX
04-29-2002, 11:31 PM
Yeah, it is, but I'd rather play a good game based on The Hobbit than some shitty attempt to make LotR into an FPS.

Warlock
04-29-2002, 11:33 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/354/354026p1.html

Yeah, I think the CA looks cool.. has it's own unique style to it..

Hermit
04-30-2002, 12:29 AM
Anyone ever play the SNES Lord of the Rings RPG ? I've had the Rom forever, just never started a game yet. It looks somewhat simplistic in graphics nature but that's ok if it's a good game :)

Rijuhn
04-30-2002, 01:17 AM
The games graphics look like Turok for kids. Seriously. This game will scar the LotR name. And I'm reading The Fellowship right now. I'm in Rivendell when Frodo wakes up. Tolkien should have his own country, cause he's so cool. This is the best book series I've ever read, and probably ever will.

Warlock
04-30-2002, 01:34 AM
I heard the SNES one sucked.

I have the PC version which was the original and sort of what they based the SNES one off of. I guess when they did the SNES one tho, they messed up a lot of stuff and generally made it much crappier than the PC one.

Anyways, the PC version is very good. Combat is ackward, as it's turn based but almost melee.. I think AD&D used a similar method for some of them but I'm not sure. I think the SNES game uses the same thing too. Your characters can move a certain distance a turn and can choose to attack, run, or whatever.. it was kinda ackward as it controlled more with "arrows" than point and click (like "move left arrows" rather than just pointing somewhere and saying "move here"), so it was hard to get your guys exactly where you wanted them, plus the whole control scheme was just clumsy.

The rest of the game was awesome though. It was HARD for one thing, but not frustratingly hard (except maybe a couple places). It was not combat based, and in fact, you characters were generally weak (which is realistic) and often times you were encouraged to flee from combat instead of fighting (if you are attacked by a Black Rider for example, you better run or you are friggin' screwed!!), which is unique and works since the game is not revolving around combat. Combat didn't offer experience (as far as I could tell there wasn't any), but it gave you gold and items, so it's not like you wanted to run everytime. There were a LOT of puzzles and secrets in the game.. I have only made it a little bit past Bree.. I think I died and it pissed me off so I didn't play it anymore :D hehe.. havn't really gone back to it after that.. I used to have the CD-Rom version which had special clips from the animated LotR movie (the really crappy one), which was cool, but I lost it somehow.. grr..

Anyways, the bad thing was that there was only one FAQ ever written for the game, and it is a fairly incomplete one.. it will get you through the game, but the guy obviously misses secrets and stuff.. not that I could find them. I mean, sometimes they are OBVIOUSLY there, but you can't figure out how the hell to get them.. (for example, there are Barrows in the Barrow Downs which are sealed and I have not been able to figure out how to get in them).. also I think the FAQ has some mistakes in it as well, but not too many. It's a shame tho, it was a great game, and a better FAQ would be nice for all the secrets.. apparently there is a way to get Tom Bombadil in your party.. for good! I don't know how to do it tho. I can get him in my party for awhile if I fall down the Old Man Willow (I think - it might have been a Barrow) and call for him, he will rescue me and join me until I take him home.. Unfortunately I can't get him to leave past the Barrow Downs.. I dunno how the one guy did it (he has a screenshot at this one site).. prob. some kind of glitch..

Anyways, it was a coo' game :D It also expanded on the story a lot and added extra quests and stuff.. for example, you could infultrate Sharky's Shipping sometime after the Barrow Downs I believe.. (if you remember, that was Saruman's secret shipping company thing from RotK when he took over the Shire).. there is other cool stuff like that too.. There is one part really early where there is this steal mill by one of the bridges, and I guess you can disable it.. although it appearently has no effect whatsoever :D The FAQ guy says something like "At least you can feel happy that you put a halt to the Industrial Revolution in the Shire" :D haha..

Hermit
04-30-2002, 01:55 PM
I love the way you ramble Warlock :)

I'll give the SNES game whirl. Yeah, I heard it sucked to, that's another reason I haven't bothered starting it yet ;)

Cronic
04-30-2002, 02:40 PM
To those of you in defense of the celda I say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! this is what it's like to watch something you love get raped by a corporation :tongue:

Warlock
04-30-2002, 02:43 PM
I still think Celda looks fine.. as long as they change his face which they did..

Cronic
04-30-2002, 02:47 PM
yeah but making it shorter? easier? all the other changes etc...

The Lotr thing though is a little worse I think... cross hairs... I don't even use those in games where I actually have a gun...

Warlock
04-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
yeah but making it shorter? easier? all the other changes etc...

How do you know they are doing that? They never said that..

Cronic
04-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Well I'm in fear out of what they are speculating to do with it. more suspense than fear really.

mrz84
04-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Ok, what is that?! There is a friggin' crosshair in those shots! Leave it to Xbox to turn Fellowship of the Ring into an FPS! What's sad, was that this was one of the VERY few games for Xbox I thought might be cool.. but now it looks like crap. LotR is NOT meant to be a FPS!

yet another example why gates is a dumb ass and his system should have been called the x-crap. :kawaii:

Warlock
04-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
Well I'm in fear out of what they are speculating to do with it. more suspense than fear really.

E3 :D Just wait until E3 :D It will be playable there..