PDA

View Full Version : The Star Wars Enigma

Dart Zaidyer
04-29-2002, 09:35 PM
This is going to be an especially hard point for quite a few Star Wars fans...
When we finally have Episode III, we must ask ourselves...

"Which trilogy comes first?"

Face it, there's gonna be a Next Generation of Star Wars fan(atic)s. And whichever Star Wars trilogy they see first is going to severely affect stuff. Particularly between Episodes II and V. Knowing Darth Vader's true identity ahead of time is gonna dull the moment in The Empire Strikes Back, but on the other hand, it's gonna make you feel sorry for Anakin Skywalker and/or Padmé during Episode II. (Episode I Anakin can just go jump off of a cliff along with Jar Jar.)
And that's just one of many things. Luke and Leia, Boba Fett, Palpatine, R2-D2, C-3PO, and so on. Exposure to one gives away the secrets of the other. There's a precarious balance to be considered, here.

What it all grinds down to is, when it comes time to show little Johnny the wonder of Star Wars, what will you give him first?

Hermit
04-29-2002, 09:45 PM
Being an avid Star Wars fan I don't see a problem for the previous Trilogy generation. These prequels will offer more depth to the characters of the last 3 movies, so when you watch them again, you'll know alot more than you ever did before. Where Boba Fett comes from, how Anakin was turned, who Darth Vaders' wife was, and how Leia and Luke were seperated at birth, etc. etc.

For the new generation, they get the priviledge of watching them all in order, so theyll already know everything by the end of the series.

Personally, I don't think any of these prequels will measure up to the first 3 movies. For me they just offer more history and insight to the characters, nothing more, because let's face it Episode 1 was pretty crappy to say the least. It just didn't "feel" like Star Wars to me, probably due to the fact that 95% of the movie is nothing but Computer CG. Oh well...
'
Let's just hope Episode 2 is at least decent :shrug:

MottZilla
04-30-2002, 12:56 AM
I agree. Episode 1 wasn't "star wars" at all. However it was a nice looking movie. It's really just alot of eye candy.

Overlord
04-30-2002, 01:09 AM
Well, Lucas apparently wants to make it viewable episode I to VI for the next generation. Speculation says that we may not even be told that Anakin is Vader. Anakin will "Die" and Vader will appear a little later. Keeping the secret until Episode V.

Also, Episode II gives aus a HUGE insight into Episodes 4-6 already, what with the Clone Wars, and the beginning of the Empire. When Luke says to Obi-Wan "You fought in the Clone Wars?" we'll be able to picture just exactly what Obi-Wan is thinking..

So I think anyone who views them Original Trilogy first will be very strange as the story should be told right through. No trilogies, just the Star Wars Saga.

MottZilla
04-30-2002, 01:24 AM
I wonder what year we'll actually see a complete saga for sale. Meaning episodes I - VI. Heh, probably like 2007. :p

fatcatfan
04-30-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by overlord147
Speculation says that we may not even be told that Anakin is Vader. Anakin will "Die" and Vader will appear a little later. Keeping the secret until Episode V.

Precisely. I mean, a lot of people didn't understand the Senator Palpatine - Sith Master - Emperor connection in Episode I. Granted, they aren't die-hard SW fans, but the point is that if you watch them in "numerical" order, without any fore-knowledge, one doesn't spoil the other. I think Lucas will keep it that way.

Overlord
04-30-2002, 09:18 AM
Yep, that's what he's intending ;) As for your question Mott, it will most likely be in 2005-2006, apparently the entire Saga will be released seperately and as a 6 DVD / video boxed set. It'll be the first time Episode III comes out on DVD. It'll be a little later, so Lucas will have time to re-do Episodes IV-VI for DVD.. imagine all the extras..

Yep, George certainly has amoney making machine there.