PDA

View Full Version : ZipSlack

AlexMax
04-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Anyone ever try this?

www.slackware.com/zipslack

According to this, ZipSlack is a distro of Slackware that can be used on DOS partitions.

Has anyone had any success with this? Is it any good? Does it work with all Linux programs?

Menokh
04-29-2002, 05:06 PM
It is small, and it doesn't have X-Windows(I think).
If you want a distro of Linux to use on your Windows partition, I'd reccomend Phat Linux. I don't remember the address though.

AlexMax
04-29-2002, 06:28 PM
From what I understand, Phat Linux costs $$$

And you can just install X on it if you want. In fact, there is a distro of ZipSlack that has everything in Slackware with it.

vegeta1215
04-29-2002, 07:44 PM
All versions of Linux are free for download. They cost in the stores cause of the packaging and manuals, not to mention extra software you get that isn't free online.

btw, I'm curious, what kind of Linux progs are you planning to run AlexMax?

Menokh
04-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
All versions of Linux are free for download. They cost in the stores cause of the packaging and manuals, not to mention extra software you get that isn't free online.

Not always.
All versions of Linux have the source code freely available. Most versions of Linux are downloadable for free. But some(such as WinLinux, and Lindows<whenever it comes out>) cost money.
No where in the GPL does it say the software itself has to be free. Just the source code.

Anyhow. I'm pretty sure ZipSlack would work, I don't think it gives you a very large virtual disk to work with though, but there is a larger version on Slackware's FTP(I think it's called BigSlack). Phat Linux is freely downloadable, I know this because I got it for my dad a few weeks ago.

mikeron
04-29-2002, 08:42 PM
zipslack isn't worth the effort it might save you, unless it's the only distro you can get.

vegeta1215
04-29-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Menokh
Not always.
All versions of Linux have the source code freely available. Most versions of Linux are downloadable for free. But some(such as WinLinux, and Lindows<whenever it comes out>) cost money.
No where in the GPL does it say the software itself has to be free. Just the source code.

If it's under the GNU GPL, they can't charge you except for the cost of physically performing the source distribution, and any warranty services.

Of course, if you're providing programs on a distro that cost the distributor to put on it (like how Mandrake puts Star Office in it's Power Pack now, and not in it's free version), they can charge.

Read it over dude. It's good stuff ;) (specifically secitons 1, 2, and 3) http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Menokh
04-29-2002, 10:45 PM
Meh. then Lindows must have either comercial software or have a warrenty or both.
*checks...*
Yep they will warrenty it.
It must be that way for WinLinux too, I suppose.

vegeta1215
04-29-2002, 11:41 PM
I don't think Lindows is gonna be under the GPL. I highly doubt they'll release the source for it. But, who knows? I'm not sure exactly how Linux can be used in other forms.

I know the Moxio media center (spelling? They won Tech Tv's best of CES, you know what I mean?) has Linux on the inside. And some new PDAs, but they're not free of course. Beats me.

Menokh
04-30-2002, 02:58 AM
Linux has to be released under the GPL by law.
And I've been reading up on Lindows and it is GPL'd. And so is the version of Linux on the Sharp Zaurus. I think if you want the source for the Zaurus' version you have to ask, but I could be wrong.

CH@O$
04-30-2002, 03:14 AM
*click**click**click**click**click**click**click** click**click**click**click**click**click**click**c lick**click* no matter how many times i click, there is still nothing happening, maybe if i click some more *click**click**click**click**click**click**click* no still nothing

AlexMax
04-30-2002, 07:14 AM
Hrmmmm...

Well last night I put it on. Can't get DHCP to work... (netconfig has it as an option, but apparently, DHCPCD is missing...and I am clueless as to how to install it. I've got the tgz's and I un-tared it to a temporary directory until I can install it...but otherwise....I think I might want to try and just move the required files since everything else seems to be set up correctly)

Havn't tried X, but its supposed to work.

Didn't find BigSlack on the FTP. Where is it?