PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for a new ZC forum: "Tips and tricks"

Cronic
04-28-2002, 08:56 AM
The title you may remember as being a part of the original Z1 help manual.

The idea behind this? There are a lot of "tricks" and many users could really help the "Tips". There are a lot of really great concepts that could use their own area of discussion. And these things are usually thrown around a bit in quest editor help, but I feel they could use their own area of discussion for both the room to fully grow, and of course easy reference. So when dealing with something like say advanced boss flag tricks or title screen making the user could easily scroll through that smaller forum and find a topic dedicated to just that.

I know we have a lot of ZC forums as is, but really I don't think one more would hurt at all, and I think this would encourage a lot of breakthroughs within quest making itself.

Or what we could do is simply expand upon the developers exchange to include resources as well as discussion of quest making techniques. I really shoulda thought about that when I pioneered the forum back in the day, but better late than never I guess :D

Thoughts or opinions?

C-Dawg
04-28-2002, 09:32 AM
I dont think you'd see much use. Consider first that most of the "tricks" that get discussed in Editor Help are in responce to someone else's problem. Consider second that there are pretty much NO posts that questmakers start for the purpose of describing a technique. I dont see how starting a new forum will suddenly change that mindset - quest tips and tricks will occur then, as they do now, in the normal course of posting, but will not be topics onto themselves.

-C

Cronic
04-28-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
I dont think you'd see much use. Consider first that most of the "tricks" that get discussed in Editor Help are in responce to someone else's problem. Consider second that there are pretty much NO posts that questmakers start for the purpose of describing a technique. I dont see how starting a new forum will suddenly change that mindset - quest tips and tricks will occur then, as they do now, in the normal course of posting, but will not be topics onto themselves.

-C

I know what your thinking but I believe that this would work. If given a place to discuss so mething related to ZC it is inevitable that it will be put to use because well the community itself would (in my opinion) see it as room to gow, and yet another aspect of quest building to be discussed thus interest in starting topics to discuss (or even brag) about something theyve pulled off.

C-Dawg
04-28-2002, 09:47 AM
So you're working with the "if we build it, they will come" philosophy.

Cronic
04-28-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by C-Dawg
So you're working with the "if we build it, they will come" philosophy.

Absolutely. That line of thought has never really steared me wrong either. And I'm not saying it needs to be it's own forum even, but we should make some kinda sanctions for it... Ok think about this... Let's say going by the forum descriptions you were to want to make a thread about some neat little trick you just figured out and think may help someone else out... Where would you post it? The closest possible foum for that is quest editor help with pretty much goes against what the forum is described to be for... Basically "if you build it, they will come" ;)

DarkSFK
04-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Hey, DC, I think your idea is great. I'd probably use it. If not, I would post some of my ideas, like the chest game in LttP.

VEL
04-28-2002, 12:30 PM
I'd like it. I've posted things like that in Zquest editor help before, but it didn't seem to go there. I also could post more things I've figured out lately there. If there was a forum like this I'd post more of my tips.

KJAZZ
04-28-2002, 01:07 PM
This sounds like a great idea! I'll post some of my tricks that are undoubtably known by most but unknown to newbies..:blah:

Cronic
04-29-2002, 03:57 PM
So what do you guys think of possibly just broadening the developers exchange to include quest making techniques... not editor help, bbut rather discussion of concepts and such?

DarkSFK
04-29-2002, 04:18 PM
DC, I think you should do it.

Cronic
04-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by DarkSFK
DC, I think you should do it.

Lol if it were my call I would, but we need to first convince the administation that it's needed.

DarkSFK
04-29-2002, 04:21 PM
If I can do anythhing to help, let me know.

Kratheous
04-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Wonderful idea. Maybe with this stuff I could actually make a good quest! :eek: Hehehe...

DarkSFK
04-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Kratheous, if you need some help, ask me until DC's forum is up (maybe):D I am relatively new to the forums, but I have used ZQuest or a while.