PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure skill?

The Silent Assassin
04-28-2002, 01:11 AM
How do you all measure your skill?

By competing against others?
By trying to perform amazing feats?
Or by just being able to beat a game in your sleep?

Mak-X
04-28-2002, 01:16 AM
By...just doing well in a game. Knowing the right moves, controlling your character right, not dying a whole lot, figuring out the situation....getting better as time goes on.

MetaStaiford
04-28-2002, 01:36 AM
I measure skill as in

Fighting/Beat 'em up: how good someone can be at a fighting game WITHOUT button mashing.

Action games: how fast someone can get through a level, how little hits he/she takes, and how many items (1-ups, yarn balls in the case of bubsy, etc.) he/she can find in a level

Adventure games/RPGs: how quickly someone can beat the game, how many secrets he/she can find, and how effectively timing is used in the case of adventure games. also how low of a lvl someone can beat tough bosses

Strategy: how effective attack/defense/etc. strategies are.

Dragon Omega
04-28-2002, 04:10 AM
If you measured skill by beating a game in your sleep than Mr.Z has skill. He beat Ogre Battle:March of the Black Queen while he was asleep...:mischief:

Daarkseid
04-28-2002, 05:01 AM
One thing I do know for sure, I tend to suck at games when playing other people... FPS, RTS, Fighting games, any of you could probably beat me at these, unless under certain conditions(like if I've played the game alot before).

Cronic
04-28-2002, 05:30 AM
I messure skill by headcount and technique. Anyone can kill an enemy but to make it entertaining for others to watchis another thing entirely. I remember playing all my old room mates at goldenye 64 and the way they would more or less become toys to me as I would sneak up on them and fire a warning shot so they could see the shot impact the wall in front of them, and making them "dance" when they were just to intimadated to fire upon me before I pulled my own trigger. So I messure skill based on presentation. The harder the difficulty etc.

Rarely am I pleased with myself unless I've golded every mission or collected every dog tag.

obi
04-28-2002, 07:36 AM
For me it depends on the game but mostly on technique - when playing an openete, say in a beat em up, skill is being able to tell what moves your oppenent could pull and beat them at every turn. In a racing game, it is not leaning the lie of the level, it is being able to take evry turn to your best possible without any practice. That is skill. By pratcie, improve your skills, but say you practiced one level in a racing game, you could do that flwlessly after a while, but when you try another level, you sucked and couldn't even finish a lap. You would have no skill, you would have mastered the level you practiced in, but still no skill. Skill is instantaneous, it is there if you have it but can be built upon, always diversify, and you skill will increase.
When I play a game, I am only skilled at it, if I can take all it throws at me, regardless if I win or lose.
To me, that is skill, and there is a big line between skill and mastery as to me, the two are very different.

King Link
04-28-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Mak-X
By...just doing well in a game. Knowing the right moves, controlling your character right, not dying a whole lot, figuring out the situation....getting better as time goes on.

That's about it for me, also. I just try to be the best at the game, win the game and beat the opponent. Simply put, I just win. Then I consider my skill higher than my opponent. But if the opponent wins, it's the other way around, although I won't admit it.

Sirklawd
04-28-2002, 01:15 PM
i think its all about beating other people. with minimal amounts of practice anyone can tool the computer in any game. so the hard part is beating people who have had just as much practice as you. - its also the most satisfying.

and practice is a big part. instead of just learning one level or character. if you learned and mastered them all then you have skill.

(700 hours in smash bros. and still counting.. mmmmm)
i can so tool anyone with any character

which is why i always wished you could have your party from some random rpg fight yoru friends party from the same game, this may make FFXI reeally kickass (cept for the paying thing)

The Silent Assassin
04-28-2002, 06:33 PM
How did I measure my skill on FF X...

When I beat Nemesis and got something called "The Mark of Conquest" who's description says "Only true masters have obtained this..."

KJAZZ
04-29-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Mak-X
...not dying a whole lot...

I must really suck at the Harvest Moon series, my guy died a lot! From cancer to a cow squashing him to a hurricane blowing him away to being shot by the town priest..

DarkDragoonX
04-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Wow... I didn't even think it was even possible to die in Harvest Moon.

Dart Zaidyer
04-29-2002, 01:41 PM
I measure skill by how fast I master the gameplay. After that, it all grinds down to what amazing things I can do with it.

mrz84
04-29-2002, 02:20 PM
i dont know. id say my specialty is rpg/strategy games. how to measure one's skill is tricky. i honestly dont know how to measure it for myself. :rolleyes: :kawaii: