PDA

View Full Version : Gotta stop buying used games

Mak-X
04-27-2002, 07:04 PM
I keep finding old games, and just games in general popping up every several weeks in my house. Where are they coming from? How can I stop this? My wallet is getting smaller too!

I just went to Gameworld to get out for a while and looked through all their used games. Of the NES and SNES games they had I was interested in Killer Instinct, Super Mario Kart, Blaster Master, Ice Hockey, and Super Star Wars. In the N64 section they had Conker's Bad Fur Day for $15 which I think I'm gonna try to get sometime in a a few weeks.

I ended up getting Goeman's Great Adventure (N64) for $25. I'll probably put it away and save it for another day since I've got other games, and plenty of school work to do. EGM said its a really good game for people who like 2-D games from the old days. This Mystical Ninja game is suppose to be more like its SNES predessor than the first N64 game.

It's like I keep buying a game or two every several weeks! Since at least Feburary I've bought

Kung Fu (NES)
Ninja Gaiden II (NES)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! (NES)
Ice Climber (NES)
Mario Kart 64 (N64)
Mystical Ninja (N64)
Mischief Makers (N64)
Goeman's Great Adventure (N64)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Super Monkey Ball (GCN)

Help! I think I'm gonna stop by Gameworld again in a few weeks and buy more games I'm not going to fully play!

If I had $100 to spend I'd buy the entire bin of NES games.
I'm hoping to find Earthbound at Gameworld one week. They've started their trade in program for games, and new games like KI and Super Mario Kart have appeared so...my used game problem isn't so bad anymore. Infact, its worse, because now the games are sitting right there, and I can touch them!

I'd really like to get Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Startropics 2 for the NES to add to my collection.

Oh now I remember! There was a game there I forgot and it was expensive. They had Contra 3 (SNES) for $20 but I didn't want to buy it for $20. Crud, now I've gotta go buy it.

Warlock
04-27-2002, 07:47 PM
lol

MottZilla
04-27-2002, 09:41 PM
I love picking up old games to add to my collection. Unfortunately most of the games I want to add now are pretty exspensive. Most not found in stores.

Masamune
04-27-2002, 09:58 PM
buying used games is o problem to me on the count of i own all of them.:D

Hermit
04-27-2002, 11:06 PM
The only oldschool games I had trouble purchasing were the ones for SNES. Being as rare to find as they are, they tend to be priced almost near the mark of when they were released.

These were my most expensive:
Secret of Mana = $30
Chrono Trigger = $45
FF3(6) = $40
FF2(4) = $25

Other than those I can pretty much get anything else for about $15 tops. So at least I got the expensive stuff out of the way already ;)

Warlock
04-27-2002, 11:55 PM
lol, I have SoM and Chrono Trigger.. don't have either FF tho.. at one time I considered getting FF6, but my friend had it so I basically borrowed it from him when I wanted to play.. oh well :p One of these days I should see if I can track down FF Anthology for PSX... although I hear it was limited edition and they don't sell them anymore...

Mak-X
04-28-2002, 12:59 AM
I think Squaresoft sells their games online though I'm not sure.
Check www.squaresoft.com and www.playonline.com for a store section. I remember something at playonline and they had all the PSX games.

Warlock
04-28-2002, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I think that is one of the only ways to get it. I'm not sure if they have it, but I think I have seen it at Amazon.com.. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to find in stores tho.

Edit: Just checked.. playonline doesn't have it.. actually, they only have fairly recent stuff (going back maybe a little before FF Chronicles)

Amazon.com doesn't have it except in $77-90 auctions (such a ripoff!!)

EBGames DOES have it tho.. which is odd b/c I swear when I checked it last year (a friend of mine was considering getting it) they didn't! Wierd.. it's $43 which isn't bad for a somewhat rare game..
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/products/product.asp?pf_id=168400&mscssid=9509DF7BNNSH2HS8000GVC6BAFJ852U3&ref=1&PromoCode=&site=&siteID=

I heard it had problems w/ PS2 compatibility tho.. I dunno..

Mak-X
04-28-2002, 02:02 AM
www.thegametrader.com has a lot of games, and prices them based on box+manuals, or just the game. Their website has a weird way of listing stuff so I couldn't directly link to FF Anthologies.
If and when I get Playstation I need to get a copy of Final Fantasy Anthologies and Final Fantasy Chronicles.

Dragon Omega
04-28-2002, 03:08 AM
I'm glad I don't have to go through that hassle. I already have FF Anthology. :mischief:

The Silent Assassin
04-28-2002, 06:35 PM
You think you're bad?

I spent 300 bucks in a week...and I nearly overdrafted my account.

Then I got a 500 dollar boost from sales, and now I am back at 200...

Well, I just sold my Zelda collection (opened) and made 270. So I am back at 500 again...once the money comes...

Hermit
04-28-2002, 07:11 PM
I can get you a copy of FF Anthology Warlock. ;)

I'll have to wait til tomorrow to get a pricetag for ya though since it's Sunday and my gamestore isn't open where my buddy works :) They've always had 2-3 used copies of it every time I go in though so I'm sure they'll still have one.

Warlock
04-28-2002, 08:25 PM
cool.. although I might just get it at ebgames..

Does anyone know how well it works on the PS2?

VEL
04-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Warlock
cool.. although I might just get it at ebgames..

Does anyone know how well it works on the PS2?

From what I've heard FF5 has a graphical problem on the menu screen occasionally, and you can sometimes get rid of it by exiting the menu then entering it again.

Warlock
04-29-2002, 12:30 AM
is there a saving problem? seems like I read that.. maybe not..

Does anyone know where they list that kind of stuff?

Edit: nevermind, found it..
http://www.thegia.com/news/0012/n05b.html

Luckily, according to reader reports, the problems appear to be minor. Final Fantasy VI is not affected at all, and the only widespread problems occur when trying to save in Final Fantasy V. The save screen or load screen may become a jumble, and while the controls still work, you'll have to back out and try again or be familiar enough with the commands to save without visual cues. Reports have been mixed about any benefits derived from the PS2's faster loading option, but it is good for FF fans to know the games can at least be played with relatively little headache.

It was the save screen that got garbled, that's why I had the impression there was something wrong w/ saving :D hehe..

Interesting that the list left out Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Unless it was just my disk, but it was messing up in that RPG section. A couple times her face appeared all garbled and the end sort of did a disk skip or something where all of the sudden this one guy was dead for no reason.. I'm not sure what that was about :D hehe.. of course, I should go reply that game, maybe it was just that one time.. it has been awhile :D (I LOVE the first part, which is sort of like Rampage on crack :D)

Edit2: Ahh!
http://www.thegia.com/news/0105/n17v.html

No wonder the music is always jacked up in FF Collection's FFIV! What it does is the boss music only loops a certain number of times, and after that, reverts to "track 1" which happens to be the music played in the opening cinematic (which contains annoying stuff like the sound of the airship's anchor being raised and such).. ahh, well that makes more sense :D