PDA

View Full Version : Ugly XP Icons, Due to TweakUI Weirdness...

theplustwo
04-27-2002, 06:18 PM
I downloaded the new tweakui that was just made available for windows xp and under Explorer > Shortcut I set the shortcut overlay to the 'light arrow' option.

It seems to have reverted all my Icons to their 256 color counterparts, or maybe it's their not transparent counterparts, I'm not sure, but it's really ugly eather way.

Here is a pic:

http://www.ticon.net/~charon/uglyicons.PNG

Any help would be very useful. Thanks!

--yes I will edit the registry if needed, I have experience with it--

zeldafreak
04-27-2002, 06:21 PM
Can't you change the shade of color in XP?

theplustwo
04-27-2002, 06:32 PM
you mean like to silver and stuff? yes I can. But the icons stay the same.

And doing the customized desktop button in the desktop section of the display properties doesn't do anything either, they just stay ugli. I tried uninstalling tweakui too, to no avail.

zeldafreak
04-27-2002, 06:35 PM
Oh, I dont know what you can do then. Hmm, I don't have XP at the moment, but you may try contacting or reading something for help and/or information... Good luck though!

texasdex
04-27-2002, 06:38 PM
TweakUI is a great utility! BUT!!! It was originally made for windows 95, and I'm not sure if they have worked out all the XP bugs.

The icons aren't just in 256 color mode, they are only using the 16 system colors. I'm not sure if the setting for this is the same in XP as it is in ME, but this works for Mellenium Edition and 98.

Try going to the "desktop" panel, then clicking on the "effects" tab. If there is a check box that says "Use all available colors when displaying icons" or some such then make sure that is checked.

theplustwo
04-27-2002, 08:07 PM
they (microsoft) removed that checkbox with XP, the bastards. There must be some registry entry you could change, but I have no idea what it would be.:mad:

vegeta1215
04-27-2002, 08:26 PM
How can you complain about the icons when you have that ugly cartoony XP theme? lol. Seriously, having icons with 256 colors should slightly speed up you computer. Icons don't have to look good (just as long as they're not pixel-ly), so long as you recognize what they're for.

theplustwo
04-27-2002, 08:36 PM
it just looks better when they are colorful.

When I saw your name in the last post section for this thread I was certain that it would be a 'just use linux' post (not that there is anything wrong with that) :eek: But my heart skipped a beat when it wasn't (j/k)

Edit: It's not like it's urgent or anything, it's just annoying. By the way, you should be happy, vegeta, I used a .PNG format!!

vegeta1215
04-27-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by fmehmobile
it just looks better when they are colorful.

When I saw your name in the last post section for this thread I was certain that it would be a 'just use linux' post (not that there is anything wrong with that) :eek: But my heart skipped a beat when it wasn't (j/k)

Edit: It's not like it's urgent or anything, it's just annoying. By the way, you should be happy, vegeta, I used a .PNG format!!

Just cause I use Linux now doesn't mean I take every opportunity I can to bash Windows. Just most of them :D (the obvious ones, like dealing with having to reboot, virus', and other things that would be solved with Linux). Icons and desktop stuff is common for all OS's. I think on my system, the icon directory has sub directories with both hi and low color for all things, which I found pretty cool.

PNG's are great, but I generally wouldn't use them for images that big. I'd use them 1) for high quality images (like for backups of original pictures) or 2) to replace gifs except for with animations. But, you managed to make that 1028x768 png only 78kb?!? That's awesome! (told ya pngs kicked ass)

btw, sorry I can't help you solve your icon problem. I'm not familiar with the Tweak UI they have for XP. The last one I used was the one for Win98.