PDA

View Full Version : Does it really matter?

Fiyerstorm
04-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Do you think that voice-acting makes the game you are playing any better? IMO, it does. It gets you into the game more and puts you in touch with the characters.

Mak-X
04-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Yes, as along as its done decent enough. Even the grunts and gasps of Link in Zelda (OoT/MM) and oh shoot...the main character of Castlevania: Circle of the Moon add to the game.
Starfox 64. The speech in that game is a big part of it. The same with Rogue Squadron and definitely Rogue Leader. "Use the force Luke!"

Hermit
04-27-2002, 04:33 PM
It's nice if the voice acting is good enough to understand the feelings and emotions of the characters, so yes it matters a lot. No one like mono-tone crap script reading :shrug:

Another thing I also hate is sequels that don't retain the same character voices. Kudos to Konami for keeping all of Metal Gear intact :heart:

MottZilla
04-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Yes it matters cause if it sucks it'll ruin the game. I really prefer no voice acting. Metal Gear is an exception though.

Daarkseid
04-27-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla
Yes it matters cause if it sucks it'll ruin the game.

Actually, Resident Evil was hardly ruined, despite having very bad voice acting, and even some terrible acting(in the FMVs) to go with it.

But voice acting really adds to the game. I liked Final Fantasy X alot because of the voice acting. It really does add to the likenesses of the characters.

Fiyerstorm
04-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Which RE? THe PS one or the GC one? I think the GC one is tight!

jman2050
04-27-2002, 06:12 PM
Despite what some may think, voice acting may make or break a game. Take Sonic Adventure 2:Battle for instance. I have successfully beaten the game with both the English and Japanese voices at different times. My god, I had no idea how different both experiences were. For some reason, I felt that the game was more fun with the Japanese voices than with the crappy English voices. So yeah, voice acting plays a big part in a video game.

The Silent Assassin
04-27-2002, 09:11 PM
I like characters speaking rather than having to read their dialogue.

StarFox 64 had bad voice acting. Metal Gear Solid had pretty good voice acting. Final Fantasy X, it was a nice addition, and the acting wasn't bad...it was the motion animation and "script".

MottZilla
04-27-2002, 09:43 PM
Why can't people read and understand what I said? I didn't say it WILL ruin the game. I said it CAN have a big effect on it. And I agree that Sonic Adventures english voice actors sucked.

zeldafreak
04-27-2002, 11:37 PM
Sonic Advenure 1 actors did not do such a great job, but SA2 was worse! Well, sort of... I think the game was put together badly. The voices would kick in before one voice was done!

DarkDragoonX
04-28-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid

Actually, Resident Evil was hardly ruined, despite having very bad voice acting, and even some terrible acting(in the FMVs) to go with it.

Lol. You're telling me...

"Jill... I'm sorry Jill... Jill? Jillllllllll!"

Hahahahahaha!

Daarkseid
04-28-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by SlasherCGE
Which RE? THe PS one or the GC one? I think the GC one is tight!

I'm talking about the PSX version... the GC version isn't even out in the US yet...(few more days). I don't own a GC either.

Why the hell would I make such a harsh criticism for a game I haven't played yet?

Amber
04-28-2002, 01:56 AM
The english voice acting on Dynasty Warriors 3 was good. The cut-scenes with text on them were never on the screen long enough to actually read them. So it was really helpful even if the lips didn't match the words. ;)

rinaku
04-28-2002, 06:19 AM
It depends. Wave wace blue storm was ruined because of the "Good" over and OVER again. But even though there isnt much in zelda, it really makes the game more atmosphereic

King Link
04-28-2002, 11:13 AM
I think good voice acting in a game is a bonus, an addition, just like awesome graphics is. The awesome graphics are not needed to get you into the game, the plot, understanding and the fun of the game, neither is incredible sound voice acting, although it does add to the effect as do graphics.

I don't think it really matters, it is just an addition to make the game more realistic.

Mak-X
04-28-2002, 11:16 AM
What's wrong with Starfox 64's voice acting?
I hope they use those voices again for Starfox Adventures and not the SSBM ones.

Dragon Omega
04-28-2002, 01:50 PM
It doesn't really matter to me whither there is voice acting or not...:mischief:

MottZilla
04-28-2002, 04:35 PM
Oh ya mak. The SSBM starfox character voices sucked.

Fiyerstorm
04-28-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid

I'm talking about the PSX version... the GC version isn't even out in the US yet...(few more days). I don't own a GC either.

Why the hell would I make such a harsh criticism for a game I haven't played yet?

.........movie clips of the game during a CG move....

Daarkseid
04-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SlasherCGE

.........movie clips of the game during a CG move....

Do they even have sound or show off the voice acting? Anyway, I don't watch movie clips for games coming out. They take longer to download than I care for, so I just pass up any movie clips. I'll look at pictures though...