PDA

View Full Version : Zaphod, you worthless no good son of a...

Beldaran
04-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Just kidding.

But anywas, I once saw another person in an online setting use the name "Zaphod" and I was wondering if anyone knew either where it was from or what it meant.

Anyone? Zaph?

Masamune
04-27-2002, 03:17 PM
when i was playong WC3 i saw someone by te alias Zaphod. any comment zaph?:eyebrow:

The Savior
04-27-2002, 03:30 PM
It's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe. Zaph is a supposed political leader in the series.

plith
04-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox. I forget what his ship's name is. In fact, I haven't even actually read the series, just this play I was in at one point for the first book.

Menokh
04-27-2002, 04:05 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox. He was elected President of the Galaxy, but little did he know he had no real power. He had been in office 10 years and has spent a few of them in prison. He lost the presidential office when he stole the Heart of Gold experimental spacecraft from the government.

J.J. Maxx
04-27-2002, 04:31 PM
He also had 2 heads and was a really froody guy. :)

He symbolizes the part of us that wants to hang out, have fun and drink alot. He's a party guy. :thumbsup:

theplustwo
04-27-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Menokh
Zaphod Beeblebrox. He was elected President of the Galaxy, but little did he know he had no real power. He had been in office 10 years and has spent a few of them in prison. He lost the presidential office when he stole the Heart of Gold experimental spacecraft from the government.

I think you just earned the title 'Psychohistorian
Deluxe' :blah:

Actually, I own the all-in-one black hardcover version, with the built in bookmark! :D

Ultra22Lemming
04-27-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by JJMaxx

He symbolizes the part of us that wants to hang out, have fun and drink alot. He's a party guy. :thumbsup:

Lol guess who played the second head in the play .... Nonsensical!

plith
04-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by fmehmobile
I think you just earned the title 'Psychohistorian
Deluxe' :blah:

Realizing of course that psychohistorian refers to mapping out human events yet to come using mathematics?

theplustwo
04-27-2002, 04:55 PM
well, of course.

it was a pun, it was supposed to be punny (there, I did it again, arent I a riot)

Seriously though, I almost separated the words psycho and historian to make it more 'getable', but decided against it at the last moment (darn)

What I would like to know is where did zaphod get the 'qix' from?

edit: hey, plith, I just noticed that you just got 4000 posts!! congrats!!:blah:

Daarkseid
04-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by JJMaxx

Hah... that part of me must be shrivelled and mummified by now... he probably died years ago.

Zaphod Q. IX
04-27-2002, 09:49 PM
Yeah, my name comes from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Douglas Adams is one of my favorite writers. Depending on who you ask, Adams was either a genius and a visionary, or a demented crackpot. His writing has influenced TONS of stuff in our popular culture...and Zaphod Beeblebrox is my favorite one of his characters.

Any of his work is well worth reading, IMO.

Go here (http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?threadid=55105) for an explaination of why I chose the dervitave I use here.

EDIT: And here's a short Zaphod Beeblebrox biography (http://www.redletterbox.com/zaphod.htm).

plith
04-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by fmehmobile
edit: hey, plith, I just noticed that you just got 4000 posts!! congrats!!:blah:

Why thanks for noticing. I probably shouldn't have made that my 4000th post though. Right after that, I found a much better bit of subject matter to have posted about. You can check a new topic that I will probably be posting in just a minute or two to see what I mean :blah:.