PDA

View Full Version : Games are awsome...til you beat them...

Brasel
04-24-2002, 09:51 PM
I've noticed that old games on the Nintendo and Super Nintendo are awsome...but then lose their playability when you beat them.

The two biggest examples for me on this are Zelda 2 and Final Fantasy 1. I haven't beaten either of them, and I replay them over and over...I'm playing both right now and I really don't want to beat either of them...

Mak-X
04-24-2002, 10:05 PM
That is the bad part about games, the good ones you really enjoy. Once you beat them its over, there's nothing more to do. Playing the game over again is easier and you know how to do everything. You can also pick out all the little game mechanics that seemed so spectacular before but are really simple.

I used to rent Secret of Mana so many times that I got all the way up to the Mana Fortress before I finally bought it. I sold my copy but got a used copy about a year ago and played all the way up to the Volcano, but then just quit. I was trying to hard to get everything leveled up and that wasn't any funny. But I also had played the game so many times before, there was nothing new. I blasted through the bosses that were once tough with my magic and attack skills. The Gold City palace was easy.

The best thing to do is not play the game for a long time. Then come back to it and just enjoy it.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I bought my own copy of Zelda 2 and set out to finish it finally. I've only fully beaten the game once. I've played that game so many times but it was still fun. I'm really getting the itch to play it again. After beating the game, you get to keep your stats and play through it again, so I think I got all the way through and stopped when I couldn't find a missing Heart Container. I am definitely going to play Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link this summer. Eventually, you just need to finish a game. Maybe that's why it took me so long on the last Zeldas. The more time you spread out playing them, the longer it lasts. I've only played through Ocarina of Time once too, and I plan to play that again soon.

slothman
04-24-2002, 10:25 PM
That is somewhat true. I also like playing gaves like civ3 where it is different every time. Then you don't get tired of it as easily. Of course "simple" games like chess or cards are also replayable.

The Silent Assassin
04-24-2002, 10:27 PM
I think Super Nintendo games began the evolution to "replay" value, especially with Super Mario World.

vegeta1215
04-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Golden Sun - you beat it, get a to be continued message...then nothing! Sure, you can play the 2 player vs mode, but that's as good as it gets. I was really dissapointed with the game after I beat it.

Rijuhn
04-25-2002, 02:50 AM
Beating a game is fun, and sad at the same time. You're happy because you defeat the evil something (99% of the time), and you can finally rest (the hero, and the game world people, and you can relax.) But you can't play the fun game anymore, and I hate seeing games end because you don't know what happens after that. It drives me mad sometimes when I go back to play a game I really loved (Golden Eye, and OoT for example) and then I realize all the glitches, and cool effects that they used, and that certain game has risen the standard so much that the game isn't that fun anymore.

Daarkseid
04-25-2002, 02:53 AM
I can relate to some of this. Alot of times, when I enjoy a good RPG, I get to the end too quickly and never bother to finish it because I'm rather saddened its over with, so I just sort of dink around, trying to find the hidden stuff. Then I start over. I did this with FFVII, numerous times with FFV, and I've played through FFIX three times without ever finishing.

When I played Earthbound, I wound up playing through the game three times before finishing it as well.

inori
04-25-2002, 06:00 AM
I typically play a game a lot at a time (usually finishing it). Then I put it in the drawer and get out a different game. Six months later, I'll get the urge to play the old game again, and I'll replay it.

Fortunately, I have just about enough games that I can cycle through them, and there's always a game I have the urge to play.

rinaku
04-25-2002, 09:40 AM
Games with "good" and "bad" endings have more replay value than some others, like in breath of fire, turn into a dragon and the world is saved, don't and the world is destroyed! In our case, we'd all be dead by now...

Brasel
04-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
...and I've played through FFIX three times without ever finishing.

Beat it, the ending is really good if you liked the game. (I'm assuming you did, cause you played through it three times)

Axel
04-25-2002, 03:00 PM
odd, I dont know how many times I've beaten Mario RPG and I keep coming back! I dont know what it is. the only thing I haven't gotten is the super jacket and I've labeled that as impossible. no matter how many times I win I've gotta do it again!

also I've beaten Star Fox 64 a million times and never stop. sure I've even beaten Venom 2 coming through area 6, not gotten the laughing head but still I gotta do it again! it may have something to do with the high score, for one day I had a better score than my brother and that was a great feeling...

mrz84
04-26-2002, 12:20 PM
i just beat legend of the mystical ninja (super famicon but on a rom) this morning but i have the urge to beat it again. i guess some games are so darn addictive that you play them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. ive started from scrtach on OoT like a dozen times and beat it without dying each time. I STILL DONT KNOW WHY NAVI LEFT LINK! im just dying to know why she left and what happened to her. THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME! *suspense walks up, pulls a gun and shoots mrz*