PDA

View Full Version : Another One Bites the Dust!

E-FORCE
04-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Gamespot (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/flat/0,11963,2862235,00.html) is another victim to the paying for content trend that has taken IGN and Gamespy. When will it end?

Mak-X
04-24-2002, 08:38 PM
With all the other sites, mainly IGN, and the profits from ads today I'm not surprised that Gamespot finally had to. It's also kind of weird. Its amazing that they're so big, but they've only been relying on ads for money, basically giving out their information for free. Compared to a real magazine that costs $5 per issue or $25 for a subscription, is like they're not making any profit. Their subscription price of $19.95 a year is very reasonable. I know websites are expected to be free to view, but times are changing today. When you think about it, websites like IGN and Gamespot are just really big video game magazines that are update much more and more faster than a magazine could.

AlexMax
04-24-2002, 09:25 PM
*screams at the sky*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*cough*

The Silent Assassin
04-24-2002, 10:28 PM
GOD DAMN IT! I CAN SEE IT NOW! FUCKING E3 BREAKING NEWS...EXCLUSIVE TO ONLY FUCKING PAY PER VIEW PEOPLE.

SUCK IT. I WANT SOMEBODY TO JUST PROVIDE INFO FOR FREE. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT IMAGES, JUST INFO.

Mak-X
04-24-2002, 10:35 PM
They said their premium service would be free until June as a trial period.

Rijuhn
04-25-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
GOD DAMN IT! I CAN SEE IT NOW! FUCKING E3 BREAKING NEWS...EXCLUSIVE TO ONLY FUCKING PAY PER VIEW PEOPLE.

SUCK IT. I WANT SOMEBODY TO JUST PROVIDE INFO FOR FREE. I DO NOT CARE ABOUT IMAGES, JUST INFO.

I was starting to say that myself, as seeing as how all these sites are becoming pay sites. IGN is getting a bit better at giving you worthy info for free, but how long until I can't even sign online without paying a fee to load my MSN homepage? FUCKING M$ BASTARDS!! I'll die before I pay to load a web page!!:angry: I know I'm over exagerating, but I'm not far from the truth you know.

mrz84
04-25-2002, 01:10 PM
well i just think that if everything on the net had to be a pay site, id simply just point and laugh at them. thats right. i dont need the internet to live on or know whats happening on the news. i can decide for myself what i can do! MWAHAHAHAHAHA! *flash of light. a IGN sales rep speaks* were sorry for this outburst. please disregard this individual as an insane person who has been.....delt with. *DUM DUM DUM!*

Axel
04-25-2002, 03:06 PM
look on the bright side. we still have AGN for game news.
right?!

Daarkseid
04-25-2002, 03:32 PM
*sigh* and a what an inopportune time for my EGM subscription to expire...

Raichu86
04-25-2002, 03:41 PM
I remember back when I could look at all the images I wanted on IGN. And now they say more than 5 images per day are for registered members, so I register, and they say you have to be a VIP member or some crap. :sweat: What a rip.

Originally posted by Axel
look on the bright side. we still have AGN for game news.

right?!

On the site:
Changes
Posted Tuesday, April 23, 2002 - 9:07 PM by War Lord
The main webpage here at Armageddon Games will undergo some major changes here in the following days. We will make every effort possible to keep you posted. Overall we hope that these changes are positive. At this time, I am unsure as to whether or not we will keep the gaming news. We aren't a gaming news site, and if you want that you can go many other places on the internet to obtain it.
The news staff will not be let go however, I plan on finding a use for them on the main site soon.

mrz84
04-25-2002, 03:47 PM
well thats a big chunk of cheese. :kawaii:

zfreak2004
04-25-2002, 09:11 PM
If I'm reading this right on their site, they say that all of the NEW news will be free for a week. Except for the streaming video. So as long as you're on the internet at least once a week, you shouldn't suffer too much.